Author Topic: Downhil Skiing?? Anyone done it post-surgery?  (Read 1940 times)

Jeanlea

Downhil Skiing?? Anyone done it post-surgery?
« on: December 20, 2007, 09:16:03 pm »
My family really wants me to go downhill skiing with them...tomorrow!!  I should add that I've never done any downhill skiing, even before my AN surgery.  I have done some cross-country skiing, on level ground since my surgery.  Any advice?

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Christine

Re: Downhil Skiing?? Anyone done it post-surgery?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 09:38:16 pm »
Nope, wanted to go ice skating but opted out. Last time I went was about 3 years ago way before I even knew about the AN or surgery. Back then I figured I had not been for so long I wanted to go back to skating. I bought some new skates, had them sharpened (bad mistake) and went out on the ice. I took once nice gliding step and flipped up in the air and cracked my head on the ice....was so bad I got a huge goose egg right away and had to go to the hospital. I told my boyfriend that I wanted to give it a try this winter he says that if I skated the same way I did 3 years ago I might pop a screw, or the stuff that I call skull putty might crack and I would be in big trouble....lol

Good luck on the skiing let us know how it goes. :) if it works out for you maybe I will give skating a try again still have those new skates in the attic.
Misdiagnosed in 1997 by my ENT
AN found June 2007

Translab August 14, 2007
Dartmouth-Hitchcock medical Center, Lebanon NH.
Dr. Kadir Erkmen & Dr. Daniel H. Morrison

Inner ear removed on left, small portion of AN remains on Facial nerve. Dissiness, headaches, facial issues, dry eye.

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 11:37:24 pm »
Hi Jeanlea

I had Facial Neuroma surgery in 1992, still put ointment in my eye every 5 to 15 minutes so my vision is off.  Anyway, I went down hill skiing for the first time on New Years in 2002.  Our youngest son was home on leave and I didn't want him to spend his last day of leave sitting around watching TV so I suggested skiing, which he loves.  We didn't ski together as he loves to take the risky slopes but at least we were out having fun.  I practiced on the bunny hill then finally tried the big girl run, it was pretty cool tell I crashed.  My crashing had nothing to do with my surgery, my coat was to tight around the hips and legs so I couldn't move as freely as I needed to, of course my lack of experience didn't help.  I say go for it, go out and have some fun with your family.  I"m glad I did!  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 08:00:14 am »
Jeanlea,

I have done downhill skiing before and after my first AN surgery and it is not much difference thankfully. The main thing is fear of heights (should not be AN determined - I am not afraid of them) and SSD which affects localization of the sound. However, when other skiers pass you, they scream "to the left" or "to the right" to everybody; it is just common curtesy.

My advice to you is to always take ski lessons and keep at the beginner slopes for now. There is a lot of technique involved in downhill skiing and if you are not careful, you can really hurt yourself. Don't listen to you teenagers who I am sure want to tackle advanced slopes. Your balance is excellent and it will only get better with downhill skiing. Good luck on your vacation!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

TP

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 09:58:52 am »
I am going skiing in January (in a few weeks). I am so excited. It has been 1.5 years since my surgery and I am going for it! I will wear a helmet. Never have before but think it is a good idea. I probably won't do tree skiing or go down double black diamonds any longer since I value my life and head a little more than I did in the past....My suggestion is to stay away from people as much as you can. I would suggest having your loved one stay a little behind you on your AN side just to make sure no one runs into you on the  slopes.

My biggest concern is my eye. I live in Florida where there is humidity so going out west where it is so dry I am worried that my eye will be very dry so I plan on wearing goggles most of the time I am outside and keeping the eye moist which means I will lose some vision.

Have fun!! Merry Christmas!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 06:00:56 pm »
Well, I survived.  I learned that I'm not very good at downhill skiiing though.  Lessons would have been a good idea.  I can do cross country skiing, but this is much different.  I do not know any of the techniques.  My method was go straight down the hill, fall, repeat.  And that was on the bunny hill! 
My three teenagers left me to go on the longer hills after a while.  They said they would be back in ten minutes.  Forty minutes later I figured they must  be having a good time because they still weren't back.  I decided to sit down and take a break.  I looked at my cell phone and saw that my daughter called.  When I called her back she said, "Send help. Adam (the 14 year old) fell and had a concussion."  They had been wandering around trying to find their way back.  I found someone and she went and picked them up.  They were walking on a road.  He has a headache, but he will be fine.  He's wearing a helmet the next time he goes snowboarding.  And to think I was afraid that I would get hurt.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 11:42:18 pm »
Well, I survived.  I learned that I'm not very good at downhill skiiing though.  Lessons would have been a good idea.  I can do cross country skiing, but this is much different.  I do not know any of the techniques.  My method was go straight down the hill, fall, repeat.  And that was on the bunny hill!

I had ski lessons once, way back when. I'm pretty sure the first lesson was how to stop, how to fall down, and how to get back up again. It sounds like you mastered that on your own!  :D

It was certainly ironic that Adam was the one to get hurt; fortunately not badly. I think helmets all round might be a good idea next time. Good for you for giving it a try.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.