Author Topic: Firstly .... Merry Christmas to ALL!!!! and secondly ... let me apologize .....  (Read 2807 times)

Denisex2boys

.... for being MIA for so long...... :(

I guess by my not posting for soooo' long I was just avoiding the inevitable and trying to put this all on the 'back burner' (so to speak).  But truth being.... the come the New Year will probably be the 'real' start of my journey :(  It was exactly a year ago - when I was grocery shopping with my then 7 year old that I suddenly lost most hearing in my left ear .... Dec. 11th!  What I thought was a simple ear infection was diagnosed as a 1.5 cm AN in July '07 - without contrast ........

You'll have to excuse if I have spelling errors, or ramble  ..... I have a nice glass of red wine seeping through me right now - and I am feeling 'warm and fuzzy' and RELAXED!

I offered to host Christmas this year - ARGH!  For 18 people!  I have NEVER in my 43 years cooked a turkey!  Christmas has always been at my parents house - but since their move to their summer home it makes more sense for them to come down here than for all of us to go North since the lake effect snow can reak havoc.  So here I am - the one with all the stress of this AN and the smallest house - and I OFFERED!  Am I crazy or what?  I am excited for Christmas and spent a bundle to accomodate everyone - but at the same time I am so sssscccaaared ........... and wonder if I will be here next Christmas :(  I know, a silly thought - - but still it is in the back of my mind ....

I have a follow-up MRI on Janurary 16th to see if there is growth or the same and then I am to meet with the Neuro and ENT on LHSC on the 8th of Feb.  They 'bumped me up from the original date of April.  So I am assuming that since I am meeting with both Dr. Lownie and Dr. Parnes that this will get moving sooner than later.  I can't help but see my mortality and that scares the **** out of me!  ( Did anyone else feel the same?)  I have 2 young sons - one just turned 8 on the 14th and the other 4 on Halloween and I can't even imagine how this will affect them.  I am hoping that the downtime will be when they are still in school and not during the summer break.

My questions are ...... when do I explain all of this to their school, teachers, caregivers (I work full-time), co-workers?  My immedate co-workers know but what do I tell everyone?  I am certainly not looking for a pity party but at the same time want to ensure that there is support available for my kids and husband.

What will it be like after surgery ....... ?  And do I opt for restoid or translab - it was already suggested from my first visit with Dr. Parnes to try to preserve the little hearing that I have left - but yes, while I do have some hearing left in the left side - I really cannot 'understand' anything - everything is warbled and not in tune.  Do I opt to sacrifice the hearing to safe the facial nerve - or is 1.5 cm's still small enough to avoid the facial nerve?

I went to a local meeting with some ANr's and it really opened my eyes - where most have a few or no issues there were some with facial paralysis - I am not that vain - but if I am to be honest - I don't know how I would cope......  Cudo's and ((((HUGS)))) to all of you with facial nerve complications - I was in awe of the woman I met (my age) with facial paralysis - she is the most honest, strong, bravest person I have EVER met!

Please..... any advice would be much appreciated!

I am scared and anxious just to close this chapter - I have had some minor surgeries before but this one is really 'eating' away at me.  I guess maybe it's because I can't believe that I have this ....... since generally I fell pretty good - other than the hering loss, tinitus and lot's and lot's of headaches......

Thank you all and MERRY CHRISTMAS!  I PROMISE not to be MIA ..............  but I surely could use a couple of 'shoulders' right now .......

Denise (in the 'Great White North' - Canada)
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

er

Hello Denisex2boys,
Good for you that you are having Christmas dinner at your home. Everyone always seem to help.
Don't be afraid. We all know how you feel we wouldn't be human if we were not afraid.
Just present the problem to those out there and hopingly they will understand and help, not only you, but also your children ,and family.
My husband, sons, and myself were all frighten when we  were told,
The doctor that performed was awesome, explaining things so well to me that I went in to surgery not afraid.
I myself do have a few problems but nothing that is going to stop me from living my life to the fullest.
eve

er

PS
No reson to apologize,
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you
eve

sgerrard

Well first of all, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you. And for that matter, Merry Next Christmas and Happy Next New Year as well - you will certainly still be here.  :D

I think you will find as you go along that there will be a right time to tell each person who may be involved. Tell them what they need to know, when they need to know it, or when you need them to know it.

If I were you, I would give up the lame ear and do a trans-lab, they seem safer, but then I am a chicken on surgery anyway, I did radiation and am happy with that choice. Also be aware that it is difficult to judge growth accurately in just six months, there is some variation from MRI to MRI anyway.

I have met regional ANers on two occasions, and share your admiration for those with some facial paralysis. They just keep going on with their lives, and I found myself quickly getting used to their appearance and forgetting they even had any facial issues. It really does seem possible to put up with almost anything that an AN can dish out.

Sorry I can't help with the Christmas turkey, I am most definitely not a good cook. Good luck with that!

Best wishes,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Dealy

Denise- Merry Xmas too you and familly. Anxiety over having an AN an subsequent surgery is quite common and understandable. First of all- A 1.5 is not a large AN. Being that size however- you will have to scrafice your hearing. My first AN in 1988 was 1.5 CM'. My hearing was taken because they went through the side of the head over the mastoid bone and not in the back of the head where the Brian has to be retracted aside in order to get too the AN. I was told at the time this was more dangerous because the brain has to be pushed aside-but it can be a method to try to save some hearing. I (for One) did not like the sound of that and opted for surgery over the mastoid bone. I was in the hospital for three days after an 8 hour surgery. I tried too convince the doctor's at the time too take only 1 hour (like that makes a difference). When I woke up- my head felt terrible-had double vision the next day-but that all subsides in time. The main thing is probably too line up a support team;. Believe me after surgery-you will have no energy-I was totally exhausted for 6 months after 4 hours of doing nothing. Surgery-especially on portion of the Brain takes alot out of a person. Unless you have facial issues now-(my uneducated guess) is that a good team of surgeons will monitor your facial nerves during surgery. Now if you had a larger AN than 1.5CM-yes their could be unfore seen complications. This is my 2nd go around. Now I have a 2.5CM in my other ear-had radiation last summer. So I guess I am now an expert (HA-HA) in both surgery and radiation. I lived with SSD- (Single-Sided -Deafness) for 18 years. Your Brain and you will adjust over time. That is the key word-TIME. I wish you the best and hope for your speedy recovery. These things (AN's) can be Boogers. Thanks_Ron

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Hi Denise,

A fellow Canadian from the Great White North.  Talk about the snow we received last weekend!!!  I can help you with the turkey.  You need to brine the turkey in salt water bath with brown sugar over night before you cook it.  I have a huge pot but you can use a cooler.  Make sure you remove the giblets and neck from the thawed turkey cavity.  Measure out half a cup of salt and a quarter cup of brown sugar add enough cold water to dissolve the salt and sugar, gentle place turkey into water, add more water to cover turkey.  Call your husband to carry the pot or cooler out into the garage or fridge.  Make sure you have covered the turkey.

Christmas morning rinse the turkey, pat dry.  Place turkey in roasting pan, gently lift up the breast skin and insert slices of cold butter in between breast and skin.  Make stuffing and stuff bird.  Lay strip of sliced bacon all over the skin of the turkey, making sure every part of the turkey is covered.  Stick the bird in the oven and roast.  I use a meat thermometer.  Your house will smell amazing.  The turkey will be so tender and juicy.  If you need any more directions PM me with your phone #.  You live in Ont correct.  My long distance is free.  I call you.

My sons are 16, 17 almost 19 the week after New Year's and 20.  Last weekend they told me Christmas dinner will ALWAYS be at my house.  We will see what will happen when thaw wives come along.  This year we will be only 15 for Christmas dinner, normally we are around 30.  Two years ago I had my gall bladder out on Dec 10th and had 30 for Christmas dinner.  Nuts I know.

Good luck with Christmas dinner.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

chocolatetruffle

did your doctors considered you for middle fossa approach, which could preserve hearing as well? 

it is the holiday season, shelf AN and enjoy the holidays with your family and friends  ;D
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

sgerrard

You need to brine the turkey in salt water bath with brown sugar over night before you cook it...

Place turkey in roasting pan, gently lift up the breast skin and insert slices of cold butter in between breast and skin.  Make stuffing and stuff bird.  Lay strip of sliced bacon all over the skin of the turkey, making sure every part of the turkey is covered.

Can I come over for some of that? Sounds Yummy!  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Sure Steve....the more the merrier!!
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Hi, Denise:

First:  Merry Christmas to you and yours and a Happy New Year, too!  No need for apologies.  We're all busy and can't always get to the internet or have time for posting, when we do.  I don't.

I suspect your seemingly irrational offer to host Christmas dinner for 18 people was part honest generosity and partly a distraction device to avoid concentrating on the AN you know you have to deal with, very soon.  Nothing wrong with that, as I see it.  It just shows that you're a cognizant human being.  However, please don't allow your fears to control you beyond normal apprehension over upcoming surgery that involves the brain.

At 1.5 centimeters, your AN is probably not doing a lot of damage and the surgery won't have to be immediate, as mine was.  The good part of that is it gives you time to prepare.  The bad part is it gives you time to worry and imagine all sorts of terrible outcomes.   Don't allow yourself to do that.  Although relatively rare, acoustic neuroma removals have been done thousands of times and modern methods make the surgery much safer than ever.  The mortality rate is somewhere around 1% - or less.  That means you have about as much chance of being run over by a reindeer as dying on the operating table while having your AN surgery. 

As for the 'best' surgical method, I can't answer that, Denise.  That is something you and your doctors have to decide, with the final decision up to you and you, alone.  I had retro and it was very successful.  My surgeon advised me that he had to retract the brainstem 'a bit', but that he didn't think it would be a problem...and it wasn't.  I came through the surgery just fine and whatever minor problems I encountered were resolved within days or weeks.

Post-op, you'll be fatigued, as other posters have noted.  This means that you'll need some help at home with the kids, cooking, cleaning, etc. as you won't be physically able to handle these things, no matter how much you want to.  I speak from experience.  I slept a lot my first few weeks at home but eventually got back to normal.  I was driving again within two weeks.  Self-motivation is a factor but of course, it can only do so much if your body needs to rest to heal...and it will.  This is major surgery.  It takes time to recover fully.  Be prepared for that reality.  Don't expect your recuperation to be a matter of days or even weeks.  It can take months, although every day usually gets a little better.

Your immediate family should be fully informed and prepared for your post-op fatigue.  Of course the children shouldn't get too many details.  For co-workers, friends, school teachers, etc. be sure to stress that this is a benign tumor but in a place that makes it problematic, so it has to be removed.  Tell them it's major surgery and the recovery period is a few months, at best.  You may have to emphasize that you don't have brain cancer, but a benign tumor sitting right next to your brain that is growing and has to come out.  That's how I explained it to my friends and family.  Most understood.  I trust that will be the case with your circle. 

Post-op complications can include CSF leaks, headaches, balance problems, eye problems and the facial paralysis you referred to.  I truly hope and pray that you escape most, if not all, of these, Denise.  In any case, you have to realize that any of these could occur, and be mentally prepared.  If you come through without complications, all the better.  Good news is easy to deal with.

The feelings of mortality you're experiencing are common and quite normal.  I had been very healthy all of my adult life until my AN symptoms surfaced in my early sixties.  I was sort of insulted (how ridiculous is that?) but found peace by realizing how many good years I had been given and realizing that it could have been something fatal, like cancer.  Through the whole ordeal of tests, multiple doctor visits and subsequent surgery, hospitalization and recovery I had the good fortune of a supremely supportive spouse, and that made a huge difference.  I was loved, cared for and supported as I pushed myself to resume my normal life and put this 'AN thing' behind me.  I bet you'll have a similar experience, Denise.   

Finally, if you're still reading this, know that many of us on this forum have been exactly where you are, today.  We got through it and most of us are O.K., now, if not somewhat changed by the experience.  You have young children that need you so try to be strong and stay positive (but realistic).  We're here for you and many prayers will go with you as you continue your 'journey'. 

Please stay connected with the board - our link - and keep us up-to-date on whats happening with you, Denise.  We do care and wish the best for you.   I'm not a doctor, but I think you'll do just fine.  I really do.  :)

Jim

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:54:10 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jlamborn

I had translab to remove my 1.3 cm AN a little over a year ago on Dec 18th.  Like you, I had "some" hearing left in that ear, but couldn't understand anything.  I chose the translab because I wanted the least complications with my facial nerve.  I was more than perfectly happy to sacrifice the remaining hearing for a better chance at coming out of it with little or no facial nerve damage.  When I woke up, I had perfect movement on that side.  The next day, I guess from the normal swelling, that side got weak (couldn't blink the eye all the way closed and it blinked slower than the normal side), drooping of the right side of the mouth, basically that side got weak.  Panicked for a bit, but my surgeon believed "how you wake up is mostly how you'll be" and he was right.  Mine recovered from top-down.  I gained control of my eye back first, then what took the next 2 months or so was better control of the mouth (I was thrilled the first time I could swish water after brushing my teeth without holding the corner of my mouth down!).  Now, at a year out, I have full control of that side of my face again, with only an occasional twitch here and there, mostly when it's cold outside. 
I've just had my 1 year follow-up MRI and it's clean.  I really believe that was due to the exposure that was available due to the translab.  In my opinion, it really does give them the clearest path to have a shot at removing all of the tumor.  There are many good opinions out there, both surgical and from radiation.  This is just my story.  Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

Jean
13 mm AN on right side
Dr Isaacson, Dr. Madden,
UT Southwest Medical Center - Dallas, TX
Trans-lab Dec 18, 2006
BAHA implant Oct 2, 2008
BAHA activation Jan 9, 2009

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Denise,

Big Canadian Mother Bear Hugs to you.

I really could not say anything more eloquently than Jim Scott has in his above post …

He also said “I’m not a doctor�

But if he was I would say he would have THE best bedside manner… definitely the sort of guy you would want at your bedside when in recovery.  ;)

The young Canadian Fellow, who assisted with my surgery, is leaving the USA (leaving this middle aged woman all alone and broken hearted  :'(  ;) ) as he will have finished his certification at Stanford… and will be returning to U of Western Ontario to work with Dr. Parnes- Summer 2008. Now I got to tell you that Dr. Agrawal has a wonderful bedside manner (sure eased my fears pre and post surgery.) He was trained by the dept chair at Stanford- a remarkable man who has exemplary people skills.

I think there at U of WO – you will be in excellent hands.

I have read other posties with tumors as big as mine. Some who had the translab had facial palsy afterwards along with those with the Retrosigmoid… and then there were those who had NO facial issues (post op). Much of it will depend on the location and the adhesiveness of the tumor. Now many surgeons just avoid dissecting near the facial nerve altogether - and leave residual tumor to preserve it. Most times the tumor will shrivel … Sometimes “ifâ€? it does re-grow-  it can be followed-up with radiation –later.

My face is starting to show improvements every day. I can smile, my top teeth are now showing on both sides of the face (not the bottom yet) when I grin ...and the eyebrow is starting to show small movements. I am also celebrating wrinkles… (crow’s feet) as they appear. It is still obvious, to me, I have Bells Palsy - but it is resolving ... sloowwwwly.

This palsy I had- could easily have taken place with the translab as it did with other patients … so I am still going to refrain (at this early recovery stage) as to whether I made the right surgical approach choice or not. I was atypical (we were not absolute sure it was an AN or a meningioma) and I had fairly good hearing with 100% word recognition (to add to the confusion)…so I opted for the Retrosigmoid. "If" I was already deaf and was certain it was an AN tumor I would have chosen the translab … neverthless I could still have had the palsy… It is just too early for me to comment still. I will refrain from comment - until I see how much of my palsy resolves.

I suggest you just enjoy this Christmas and try to forget about ‘the tumor’ - for the holidays... You have energy to host now (pre-op) - so just go for it! Enjoy your friends and family … and DO reach out…

Call Anne Marie - up there in Ontario .I think it would be great for both of you to connect with each other on the phone – if not later in person.

(I am SO jealous you both have snow … we just have dreary dark rain clouds. I miss the white fluffy stuff.)

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!