Author Topic: im stressed, my anxiety level is way up....  (Read 2639 times)

tatianne

im stressed, my anxiety level is way up....
« on: January 22, 2008, 10:15:03 am »
I had my MRI on the 8th of January and Im still waiting for the results, my appt is on January 29th, all this waiting has not been good for me at all...
Ive also developed sciatic pain that runs into my leg, foot and one toe...across my foot in tingles and my toe feels almost numb but its not so I cant get it out of my head that I have a spinal tumour and im NF2...Anyone else here develop sciatica and these symptoms ??
Im sorry this is abit off topic but for me all this anxiety is related.
SO tired and worried...
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Yvette

• Yvette
Re: im stressed, my anxiety level is way up....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 11:43:08 am »
Dear Tatianne, this probably won't help much, but I too worried myself sick for days. I was so consumed with worry that I ignored my children, couldn't enjoy life, was hard to be around. Then when it all came back fine, I was sad and regretted the time I'd wasted.

You have no control over what the outcome of your MRI is going to be, but you do have the power to determine what kind of week you are going to have before the 29th. Seek out all the little things that bring you pleasure and grab onto every good thing. Then exercize as much as possible-it's a proven reducer of stress hormones. I hope I don't sound preachy or anything, I hope you find something helpful in what I say, I care about you. I've been to hell and back too. Also-I had my appointment moved up. I was so insistent that they saw me days earlier. I kept calling to see if they'd had a cancelation.

Keep us posted, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

pattibobatti

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 01:40:47 pm »
Hi Tatianne,

Good for you for getting the MRI done.   Some of us (like me) had a hard time just doing that.  So, that is one hurdle.  You know the odds of anything like a  NF2 diagnosis is very rare.  You have been through the anxiety of finding out that you have a brain tumor... That should be enough to go through.

I second the notion to just refuse to allow all the anxiety in..  Make it your job to do anything and everything to not feel stressed.   And when you find out that your MRI came back the way you had really expected, you will be stronger for the next hurdle.

Have a peaceful week.
Patti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 02:37:49 pm »
it is very doubtful that you have a spinal tumor causing the sciatica.     Many people have it and sometimes takes awhile to get over.         The worry over it and the waiting may even be making the pain worse.               Are you taking any pain medicine?       Some ibuprofen may help the inflammation.            I have had bouts of it thru the years and I am NF2 but had no spinal tumor when MRIed some time ago.                            If you were one of us rare NF2's I would think there would be other symptoms to indicate you might be.       Hang in there.     Try to find some type of pain med to help and have a dr see you about the sciatica if need be as you may need some physical therapy to help improve it. 
                                                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 03:17:18 pm »
Tatianne, dear,

Get thee to a good physical therapist ASAP for the sciatica.  They can do wonders for it.
You may be having a disc problem that will only get worse if you don't take care of it now.  My hubby went through it for years and saw a good PT that fixed him up on a regular basis. Also a Thermaphore heating pad is the best! 

About the anxiety thing--well, try to stay in the moment, focus on the task at hand and the next right thing, and just getting through each day. After my court hearing, my anxiety level was through the roof and I called my doc and he prescribed me some medication which I still take from time to time.  I can get a real whopping headache from stress.
If it's that bad for you and interfering with your life, call your doctor if you feel you have to. Only my opinion.

Best of luck to you on the 29th--pirate sox on for you!

Capt Deb

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

tatianne

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 03:18:56 pm »
thanks for answering everyone...I feel like Im having some serious anxiety issues and Im not able to look at things in a realistic manner these days..
Patti I havent heard from you in so long, How have you been doing ? I was glad to see you here.
Yvette, isnt it horrible how we put our life on hold waiting for something, wether it will be a test result, or anything else..I do this too, and my kids suffer whne Im in this mode thats for sure.
Cheryl, if the leg thing doesnt start to feel better within the next week Im definitly going to visit the doctor..the tingling and numbness are what frealing me out the most.
Thanks again everyone, the support here is always amazing.
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

tatianne

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 03:21:54 pm »
thanks captain Deb, yes the anxiety seems to be over the top...I seem to be seeing everything in the worse possible scenario these days, Im expecting the worst from every direction and we all know how powerful negative thoughts are.
I have a yearly check up with my GP coming up soon and I will discuss all of these things with her.
Thank you
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm

Denisex2boys

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 03:33:39 pm »
I am so sorry you are feeling overwhelmed ...... but try to calm down and take a deeeeeeeeeep breath!

I had my follow-up MRI last Wednesday and I too have to wait - I already know it's there - but just curious as to whether there is growth or not - this one they did with contrast - the initial one that found it was without.

My appointment with the Neuro. is not until Feb. 8th - so I know how the waiting can be unbearable .........  I too have sciatica and a good hour long massage should help you out tons!  I would truly lose it if it weren't for massage sometimes - not only for the little aches and pains, headaches, sciatic but also for RELAXATION........

I feel your pain sweetie!  So sit back and take a nice deep breath - and have a nice hot bath with some epsom salts .... ((((HUGS))))
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 05:14:04 pm »
Hi, tatianne:

I was sorry to read of your anxiety over your soon-to-be-known MRI results, but I think your concern is fairly normal.  Still, you simply can't let the unknown control your life.  You'll know the results soon enough (a few days) and the result will probably not be anything scary,  However, even if the tumor has grown a bit, you'll still have time and options.  It isn't cancer.  Try to keep things in perspective because allowing your emotions to keep you worried and fearful, possibly with no basis in fact, is not going to help you at all.  I would suggest trying to keep busy, especially if you can help others while doing so.

The tingling, pain and numbness in your lower extremities could be caused by a variety of issues, including spinal disc problems.  A spinal CT scan should help find or rule out such problems.  My wife had similar problems and had numerous spinal CT scans (and an MRI) that showed nothing that might be causing her pain, numbness and tingling in her leg and foot.  She had a consultation with a podiatrist that she wanted to remove a bunion and a heel spur that had been bothering her. A foot MRI scan showed the bunion and heel spur she knew she had, but also a neuroma between her toes as well as a small benign tumor in her heel.  The tumor, neuroma, bunion and heel spur were surgically removed 2 months ago (3 hour operation, performed on my wife as an outpatient) and she is almost back to normal sans the tingling, pain and numbness.  You just never know. 

I pray you'll find peace and receive a MRI report that shows no growth.  I also pray that the other issues will eventually be resolved.  You have enough to deal with.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Static

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 08:10:12 pm »
I have sciatica problems and have found that using a heating pad and also lots of rest, if that is possible.  The tingling and numbness feeling could be because of a pinched nerve.  Maybe you can ask your doc for naproxyn or motrin to reduce the inflammation and the tingling and numbness will go away.  Stress and anxiety are my worse enemies and I'm sorry that you have to deal with that right now.   I know first hand it's not easy to put things that are bothering you out of your mind, but if you can keep yourself occupied with something maybe that will help.  Since you can't do much because of the sciatica maybe you can find an interesting book or something that will keep you preoccupied.  I wish I could be of more help, but unless you have a puppy to hug, I'm all out of ideas!  I'll be thinking about ya and hoping things go your way!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

mema

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 11:53:46 am »
 I've dealt with sciatica off and on for years.  Since October It has been bad.  Went to a chirpractor didn't seem to help.  On Christmas Eve I dislocated my toe.  Spent Christmas Eve in emergency.   Mainly stayed in for the next 4 weeks wearing slippers.  My sciatica pain went away.  Put my shoes on for the first time Sunday and Monday sciatica pain back.  Seems that my shoes aren't helping my sciatica.  Guess I could go barefoot the rest of my life Ha! Ha!.  Anyway stress can cause or elevate so many problems.  We all feel for you because we all go through it each time ourselves.  Hang in there.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

tatianne

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 02:13:46 pm »
Thanks everyone for the support, only 6 more days until my appt for the results and Im trying to not let the anxiety consume my thoughts and my days...

I will update u all next week
Muah !
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm