Author Topic: Annual follow up MRI was done with no contrast ?????  (Read 7640 times)

OMG16

Re: Annual follow up MRI was done with no contrast ?????
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 10:13:22 pm »
We have not had to have blood work either but my son has to have blood work all of the time for his multiple problems the tumor is causing with all of his body systems.  You know now that I've thought about it we have never had to take copies of the labs with us.  So I guess I am of no help.  We have always had to take the actual films with us to each appt.  Does anyone know why this is?  I'm just wondering.  Hope this helps you.  I know I have confused myself.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

lori67

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 10:22:53 pm »
I'm supposed to go for my MRI this week or next.. no mention of a blood test yet.  I'm curious to see if they do them here or not.

Jean, the "with and without brain" is too funny!  You need to show that to the person who wrote it - I'm sure they'll get a kick out of it!  You should send that one in to Reader's Digest!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

aardvark

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 11:45:30 pm »
I've always had to sign a release for the Gadolinium injection , but this past September (MRI #5) the form included a section where I had to state that I have no known kidney disease.  Because I was able to show them current labwork, I never learned if the MRI would have been denied without a kidney function test. 

Here's a link to the Mayo Clinic website that explains why such a test might be recommended.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gadolinium/AN01637

Adrienne

1.5cm X 1.0cm Left Side AN  Dx 8/05
CK at Stanford 9/05   Drs. Chang & Gibbs

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 08:01:57 am »
Thanks to all who answered my post so quickly.  Will post again when I get my results.  Everyone be sending out positive vibes my way today.  It is always good to have others who understand exactly how we feel waiting for results.
Jean
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

Mtn Gal

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 09:48:12 am »
Since my first MRI in 2003 for diagnosis, I have had at least four more MRI's, all with contrast.  I have not had to have bloodwork prior to any MRI's.  My last MRI was in August, 2007 and that time they injected the gladolinium with a machine which was a new practice for them.  It seemed to have injected faster than if a person were doing it, and it was very uncomfortable.  My arm ached and hurt for the rest of the day.
I assume that my MRI's are done with contrast since my tumor was removed, and any remaining tumor cells would be easier to see with the contrast.
When I have a MRI, to keep my mind off of all that is going on around me, I pray for everyone I can possibly think of, especially my fellow AN'ers.  That keeps me busy for a long while and I forget why I'm there. 

Best wishes to all,

Mtn Gal
Mtn Gal
Dx Spring 2003 (7mm)
MRI Spring 2006 (13mm)
Retrosigmoid Surgery 05/31/06
Wake Forest Univ. Med. Ctr.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 02:53:49 pm »

Jim,
You stated "the pre-scan blood test is now mandatory"...my first MRI since my surgery 2/16/07 is scheduled tomorrow at 9:45 A.M.  My doctor has not ordered any blood test.  The hospital sent me a reminder and written across the bottom was "MRI with and without Brain".  Someone was in a hurry when that was written!  My ENT who originally found my AN has now closed his office here and moved home to Canada.  My Endocrinologist ordered the MRI at a local hospital where the radiologist will read it and then I will send it out to House in LA to read also.  Can I just get a CD to send out there or do I need copies of the films? 

It has been some time now since I posted but I have been reading the posts. 

Jean in MS

Jean: 

When I stated that a blood test was now mandatory prior to having my MRI scan performed, I should have said that this was my experience at the hospital where I have my scan.  Obviously, the pre-MRI blood test requirement may not apply to every hospital regarding MRI scans performed with Gadolinium injections for contrast.  I have no idea if a blood test it is a state regulation or not.  I suspect it is simply a hospital protocol to guard against the chance of possible liver damage and of course, to ward off lawsuits should a patient receiving multiple MRI scans, as I have, develop liver problems.  No problems, so far.  As it is a benefit to my longterm health, I don't object to the pre-MRI blood test and my future MRI scans will be limited to annually, so it becomes a non-issue for me, now. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

OMG16

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »
Jim thank you for your post it has made me aware of some potential problems that I did not know were possible.  My son has so many medical problems related to his tumor and I am very glad you have this info.  If I can help prevent any future problems related to his many MRI's then I believe I am a step ahead.  I have also found through this forum that allot of you know more than the experts.  I thank my lucky stars everyday that I have found all of you!!  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Sheryl

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 08:40:11 pm »
As in the link Aardvark posted above, it has been discovered that patients who already have kidney damage may get worse if injected with gadolinium contrast (most common used for head MRI's) .  I've read more on the subject and do not think it has to do with the liver.  Both hubby and I have brain tumors and with our recent MRI's, we were asked about our kidney function.  Most people in our situation and even healthy people have yearly blood work which would show up possible kidney problems.  Facilities that are asking for blood work ahead of time are being cautious or just covering their a--.  Either way, it may become more and more common as this becomes more publicized. 
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

mema

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 09:50:05 am »
Tatianne,                                                                                                                                                                                 

My last MRI I went to the same facility that has taken all my MRI"s.  There was a different tech there though.  I had a really bad cold and coughed a few times during the MRI.  He would come over the speaker phone and say are you done?  Do you have to cough?  It took longer to do  the MRI and he also was very mad at me.  I always waited for the films and when I asked him, he got really nasty and said he didn't have time because I took up so much of his time.                                                                                                             

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

tatianne

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 12:56:58 pm »
thanks everyone who answered, I guess a pretty good discussion developed out of this....thats good.
I tried to reach my doctor but its a little confusing...
Main doc is the Neurotolist who ordered the first two MRIs with contract, after the second one he decided a consult with the neurosurgeon would be a good idea...Hes suggestion was to continue to wait and watch for another year and hes the one who sent in the paperwork to the MRI department requesting the MRI, I never even say it...This neurosurgeion is very busy and hard to reach so I have just gotten an answering machine all week..I will try again next week, maybe hes on vacation or something.
Im in wait and watch, maybe thats why he didnt request contrast because the MRI was basically to check for growth and change, thats what the tech told me...would they be able to see those changes without the contrast ??
Not sure how much of a deal to make out of this or to request another MRI, frankly I hate the entire process and would rather not if I knew the results will be accurate in order to show changes.
Next time, I will make sure contrast is requested.
and
at the hospital I go to in Montreal Canada they still dont require blood tests before the injection, at least not that i know of but it sounds like a responsible thing to do.
thanks again everyone, i will let you know what happens.
For some reason Im having extreme anxiety about the results this time and imagining all kinds of things...hate this.
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

OTO

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 07:10:38 pm »
To All:
I went onto WebMD.com.   I'm paraphrasing...  Gandolinium is the predominate dye or contrast agent they use during MRI scans.   However, apparently in 2000, they now have recognized a medical condition (kidney damage resulting in other problems) which can be cause by gandoliinium, and the FDA has issued guidance regarding checking kidney function prior to using gandolinium.     I'm guessing since we ANers are getting MRIs more often than the general population, maybe our doctors (and radiologists) are getting conservative by not ordering MRI's with contrast....   
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 07:25:03 pm by OTO »

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 04:39:16 pm »
My MRI was negative and I am sooooo glad it is over and done with at least until next year.  Dr. Rick Friedman at House in LA called me to give me the results and said he wanted me to have another MRI in one year.  I posted a message in another place earlier today because I could not find this thread but accidentally found it a few minutes ago. 
Jean in MS
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

tatianne

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 02:40:11 pm »
I asked the neurosurgeon why he didnt request contrast....he said that it was unecessary because they new exactly what they were looking for and where to find it, he also said that because my AN is small the contrast doesnt make it show up that much more...he said they used weights ??? Im not sure what that it. Maybe they are just using contrast when its really needed due to the potential health risk discussed in this thread..

Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......