Author Topic: To BAHA or not ...That is the question  (Read 1748 times)

danijake

To BAHA or not ...That is the question
« on: February 01, 2008, 07:26:04 pm »
I am wondering if I should go ahead with the BAHA surgery. I am having major doubts and the date is approaching fast. I am about to lose my job, which means I'll lose my insurance and I don't want to have that thingy sticking out of my head if my insurance cuts off before I get the sound processor. HELP!!!!! I need to make a decision very soon as I still need to pre-register at the hospital.

lori67

Re: To BAHA or not ...That is the question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 08:01:06 pm »
Hey Dani.

If it makes you feel any better, the thingy doesn't actually stick out of your head. It's pretty much flush with the skin around it.  It's not like you're going to have to walk through doorways sideways or anything. :D  My doctor said I might have a small spot around it where the hair didn't grow back, but I don't.  I actually have a hard time somedays moving the hair out of the way to attach the processor.

That being said, I think, but don't quote me on this, that they bill for the whole thing at once - surgery and the actual processor.  I know my doctors office submitted it all at one time, so it was already paid for, just waiting to be attached to my "sticky outy thing".  If they are able to to that, you wouldn't have to worry about the insurance being terminated before you could get the processor.  You would have to ask the billing person at the doctors office how they work it, and explain your situation to them.

Is the insurance your only real concern, or are you concerned about the surgery too?  I know mine wasn't bad at all. 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 08:34:02 pm »
Dani -

go for it - I don't think you'll be sorry.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 09:33:31 pm »
BAHA - that is the answer.

;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

1wareagle

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 09:36:24 pm »
Dani,

Like Lori said, it is all billed at one time to your insurance. If you don't have the surgery now, while you have insurance, you probably won't be able to get it on any future insurance due to being a pre-existing illness. Getting the BAHA is well worth it. I forgot to wear mine to work the other day and I found myself asking "What did you say" too much! It really got embarrassing. But only you know if you really want it or not!

Good Luck in your decision,
Ellis

P.S. Lori, you have hair around your abuttment site? I don't and wish I did. I had to grow this long patch of hair to cover up the site. Other wise, when I didn't wear the BAHA it would be bald at the site.
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

lori67

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 12:01:40 pm »
Ellis, I have a lot of hair!  I was expecting a small bald spot, but there isn't one.  My doctor was surprised at how much it had grown back already.

I can send you some of mine if you want!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

danijake

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 12:45:55 pm »
Thanks for the replies. It helps a lot. I was just concerned about the insurance. I'll call the Dr office tomorrow and ask how they bill. Again, thank you all :D