Author Topic: Dogs Guns and ANs!  (Read 2816 times)

BDB

Dogs Guns and ANs!
« on: March 12, 2008, 03:10:48 pm »
Having, recently completed CK,I felt the need to have a normal life again.A local conservation club puts on a big fund raiser for the kids every year,and we run our birdogs in competition,and also donate the birds.Over 50 teams entered,and when the smoke settled,we took first place! Half deaf,and extremely dizzy,I was ecstactic none the less.Fatigue is still a major factor but,I believe exercise will continue to help.Next we go to Iowa at the end of the month,for the National championship.I just hope I don't let the dog down.Thanks all AN'rs for this site,little things sometimes mean alot!Bruce
1.2 cm an rt.side CK MAR.08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Dogs Guns and ANs!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 04:16:17 pm »
Bruce -

outstanding!  Getting your life back to normal is a great thing.  Congratulations on 1st place  ;D

IMO, the exercise will help the fatigue - it does in my case.

So, are you a hunter too?  I mainly ask because one of my brothers has a taxidermy business in Michigan and does a lot of great displays with wood ducks, among other things.  If you're ever interested in checking out his business, let me know and I'll give you details.

Good luck at the National Championship,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 04:17:41 pm »
Hi, Bruce...and congratulations!

You seem to be doing fine.  I agree with you that getting back into your favorite activities, even if you have to fight fatigue, SSD and imbalance, is certainly therapeutic.  It worked for me and I'm pleased to see that it works for other AN patients.  I hope you do well in the Iowa National Championship.  You'll have the folks here rooting for you!  Good luck.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

matti

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 06:49:39 pm »
Bruce - Well that title sure is an attention getter  ;D

Congratulations!! Nothing like getting back to a normal routine despite the dizzies and hearing issues. I recently had wrist surgery and being an avid gardener couldn't wait to finish PT and get back to digging in the dirt.

Let us know how you do in the National.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

BDB

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 01:01:05 pm »
Thanks everyone!, I enjoy hearing how many of you who have been through so much more than I can imagine, don't allow your expierence to totally take away the things you enjoy.When you don't feel well or right,it can be very difficult,but look at you all!people with lg tumors removed,running,skiing,theres even one fishing bluefish out of a kayak!!Yikes!!! getting back into gardening,dancing and family,things you did before and are still doing,maybe even with a renewed passion!

A buddy of mine now refers to me as a half deaf old dog,I guess Ive gained a little respect.(In our hunt dog circle, an old deaf dog is one thats paid its dues and is allowed obedience infractions and allowed special privleges) so a high honor indeed.

When I first found this site it said a AN will change your life,and I see that now,I also see a group of diverse people with big hearts,willing to share and support anyway they can,hope to meet some of you sometime.

Jan,I love seeing good taxidermy,its such a talent,what part of MI.is he located? Bruce
1.2 cm an rt.side CK MAR.08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 04:09:30 pm »
Bruce -

his business is in Clare, MI inside of Jay's Sporting Goods.

It's called The Trophy Room.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:43:00 pm »
A buddy of mine now refers to me as a half deaf old dog,I guess Ive gained a little respect.(In our hunt dog circle, an old deaf dog is one thats paid its dues and is allowed obedience infractions and allowed special privleges) so a high honor indeed.

We will allow you some obedience infractions here as well. No special privileges, though.  :D

When I first found this site it said a AN will change your life,and I see that now,I also see a group of diverse people with big hearts,willing to share and support anyway they can,hope to meet some of you sometime.

I would not have said so a year ago, but overall I think my life has been changed for the better. The AN is no fun at all, and I don't want the hearing aid I will be getting shortly, but the support from people around me and on this forum has opened up a new view on life for me. I have met some AN people in person, and I highly recommend it if you get the chance.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 10:58:04 pm »
I have met some AN people in person, and I highly recommend it if you get the chance.

Steve

And with that great quote from Steve, I want to encourage everyone to attend the 2009 Symposium in Chicago.  I want to meet forum members  ;D

Jan