Author Topic: Cannot (!) get my post-radiation MRI!!!!!!!  (Read 2588 times)

KMajor

Cannot (!) get my post-radiation MRI!!!!!!!
« on: February 01, 2008, 12:40:37 am »
Hello,

I had Cyberknife a year and a half ago. I tried to get my second follow-up MRI  last November, but could not do it, even after taking Ativan. I just totally freaked out in the chamber, 20 seconds in. I have not had a problem with MRI for about 12 years! This is so strange for me. I've had probably about 20 MRI's, but just had a complete and total panic attack this last time. The pins/needles, sweats, absolute panic all at once. It was just awful.

Dr. Famous/Well Respected Guy at Stanford (no disrespect here at all, I love him) told me I have 3 choices:  1) just do it, 2) scan on Ativan, 3) scan on general anesthesia (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). He said, because I "absolutely MUST have this MRI done."

That was November, this is February. I just cannot do the second MRI following Cyberknife.

So, I ask, what is the big deal anyway? The tumor is going to do whatever it wants to anyway, right?

I simply can't do it, at all.

Damn.

I am frustrated, and mad at myself. I just don't know what my problem is.

Thanks for reading, fellow AN friends.

-K

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Cannot (!) get my post-radiation MRI!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 08:09:11 am »
K -

don't beat yourself up; maybe you're just scared of what the MRI might reveal - which BTW is totally understandable.

I'm not a doctor, but I'd imagine the big deal is that you need to make sure that the CK did the trick and that your AN has "died" or is "dying".  If it hasn't, additional treatment might be necessary.

If your doctor says that you MUST do it, it's a given, you MUST do it.  Doctors don't always know everything, but in this case, it's obviously he has your best interests at heart.

Take the Ativan or the general anesthesia if you have to, but please get the MRI.  YOU CAN DO IT.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 08:11:18 am »
K,
  Sorry to hear you couldn't finish the MRI.  I hope you can work through the panicy feeling.    If all else fails, perhaps the general anesthesia would be the way to go.  
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 03:41:19 pm »
Oh Honey, I'm so sorry that this is happening to you.  Really, really horrible.  But yeah, I hate to be a nudge here, but radiation kids need their MRI's to monitor the progress... that really is the only way we know for sure that the CK worked.  I'd do a general Anethesia if that's how you have to get through it.  Perhaps some couseling prior to MRI? maybe hypnosis?  I mean, you can't be the only one on the planet with this problem-I come on, it's not normal for anyone to quietly sit a a chamber with a huge racket noise going around them for 40-50 minutes! 

Perhaps you can get an open MRI?  I've heard these are better than a regular one, but I don't know what it entails.

Don't beat yourself up over this, I do think you are having a normal reaction. (which makes me wonder what's wrong with the rest of us!!!!)

Take care, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 04:13:39 pm »
Maybe a higher dose of Ativan??  Or Twilight (IV) anesthesia?
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009