Author Topic: Occipital Block?? Anyoen had this?  (Read 1724 times)

Melissa778

Occipital Block?? Anyoen had this?
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:40:47 am »
My Neurologist has suggested Occipital (sp?) Blocks to help decrease the severity of my headaches for the time being.....anyone ever had this?  Apparently I will receive a local anestheitc injection in the back of my head and then a steroid injection?  Sounds a bit painful.  But I go in for that tomorrow......here's to hoping my 4 year headache will diminish a bit  :)
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

trhoads

Re: Occipital Block?? Anyoen had this?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 10:31:52 am »
Actually I just had one yesterday.  It did hurt for about the first 20 seconds, then it was numb while he finished the injection.  The entire side of my head was numb for quite a few hours (I did not really pay attention to exactly how long).  So far, the pain in the back of my head and neck has been much better, with some tenderness right at the injection site.

Good luck,

Tonya

Melissa778

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 11:21:09 am »
Thanks for the input Tonya. I went ahead with it and  I also had mine yesterday on both sides.....it was a little odd last evening being so numb.....but falling asleep with out a headaches, and waking up without a headache was wonderful.  Although now my neurosurgeon adn neurologist both feel that my headaches are unrelated to my AN......

Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
2011 Holding steady

OMG16

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 01:29:27 pm »
I am so glad to hear that the block did work.  That is wonderful!  I just replied on your other post in regards to this so just skip over that sentence as I was not informed yet (my bad).  Wishing you a lifetime without headaches!  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

trhoads

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 03:31:57 am »
I agree, it was very nice not waking up with that shooting pain and awful headache.  However, tonight the actual site of injection is hurting, (but the pain is much less than what I am used to).  Does the site of your injection hurt a little?

Thanks,

tonya

Melissa778

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 08:15:31 am »
I had injections on both sides, although one side does fell a bit more tender.  And my neck is a bit sore and cramped to.  BUt I'll certainly take that slight discomfort over an all day everyday headache!  Best luck to you as well.  glad to hear yours is working too.

Melissa
2011 Holding steady

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 12:36:14 pm »
I had an occipital nerve block and it took my head pain away for a day. It was wonderful. As it wore off the pain returned but I was able to space my Indomethacin farther apart. This was probably due to the steroids.  I knew that even if it worked, it would be temporary. These blocks are great tools in diagnosising where the problem is. These headaches are not limited to AN patients.

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.