Author Topic: Oh my ... I am so axious .... appointment tomorrow .....  (Read 5617 times)

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: Oh my ... I am so axious .... appointment tomorrow .....
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 12:52:24 pm »
Phy and Kate,

I was diagnosed with a 1.5 cm AN in early December '07. I started researching immediately, and "eavesdropping" on you guys soon after. By now I have ruled out radiosurgery. I don't want to wait to know that the procedure worked. I want that thing out.
My hearing is still relatively good (68-75%, with the 68 being voice recognition). All Drs. I've talked with have explained the radiotherapy and surgical approaches. They all want to save my hearing, but the one that recommended translab thinks that those chances are at 25% with retrosigmoid (retrosig is what my neurotologist recommends). My tumor is deep inside, making more difficult to reach with the procedures that might save my hearing. He believes that the procedure that can remove the tumor completely is the translab procedure.

I know that translab completely sacrifices the hearing, but is a lower risk for the facial nerve (my face is still fine). Then there's the issue of headaches. I want whatever will get me the best quality of life--headaches have a way of interfering with that. 
I will keep researching, discussing, consulting, thinking.
It is amazing how Drs. opinions can vary so much about one patient.
So I'm getting another opinion on Monday, and have yet to meet with another member of my surgery team.

Thank you so much.
Syl

1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Kaybo

Re: Oh my ... I am so axious .... appointment tomorrow .....
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 09:48:55 pm »
Syl~
I had a translab a little over 12 years ago (I was 25).  Yes, of course, I do not hear in that ear, but you get used to it and it just isn't that big of deal.  I have an incredible life and have gone on to have 3 beautiful daughters and a full life!  I would love to talk to you, if you would like.  You can PM me and I can also give you my blog address if you are interested.
There are many more options out there now and I certainly can't tell you about them and which choice is best for you, but I can tell you what life is like for me after a translab and more than anything, I can LISTEN!!
Good Luck!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!