Author Topic: Feeling Good from Nov.1 Surgery at House  (Read 3082 times)

chapelhillman

Feeling Good from Nov.1 Surgery at House
« on: November 11, 2005, 12:48:06 pm »
I had a 1.9 cm left side AN (50% in IAC) - majority of mass compressing brain stem -  removed at House by Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz via the retrosigmoid approach.

I was impressed with House and St. Vincent's Med.  I have ringing in that ear still, which seems a bit louder than pre-op.  My hearing is reduced, but should get better apparently as the healing process progresses.  I have some unsteadiness while walking which is improving.  I had no facial paralysis post-op although I had a metallic taste in my mouth and facial twitching pre-op.

Chapelhillman

dpericoni

Re: Feeling Good from Nov.1 Surgery at House
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 01:16:55 pm »
I was at House for surgery on October 25th. I too was impressed with St. Vincent and my doctors. I had to stay 7 days in the hospital because I was too dizzy to leave on day 5. I had very good balance before surgery. I did lose my hearing but that was it. I had ringing before surgery and still have ringing. All else is fine except for my wobbly walk.

Darlene
5mm by 8mm left AN
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz
Middle Fossa

shoegirl

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 01:25:02 pm »
Chapelhillman,

I am happy to hear that your recovery is going well and you are feeling good.  I was wondering what your hearing was like before surgery?  I was wondering how you made your decision to have surgery versus radiation?  Were they both options for you?  I haven't meet with a Neurosurgeon yet - I will be in a few weeks.  I  haven't researched surgery as much as radiation and would appreciate your opinion.

I hope your recovery continues to go well and wish you all the best! :)

Thank you! Suzanne
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

chapelhillman

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 04:52:42 pm »
Suzanne:
I was informed about Gamma Knife by all four institutions I seriously considered (UNC, Duke, Mayo (MN) and House).  I know Pitt and Hopkins are well known for it.  I am 39, healthy and active.  The lack of long-term studies combined with my age were the determinng factors for me.  I felt the best advice was surgery...get it out, confirm visually that it is out and that it is benign.  I would at least send your scans to House for a second opinion.  If you want other contacts, please let me know.

Chapelhillman

chapelhillman

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 04:55:50 pm »
Darlene:
Sorry I missed you.  You were checking out when I was feeling my sea sickness in the ICU.  Glad you are in such great shape. 

chapelhillman

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 05:00:24 pm »
Suzanne:
On my hearing, I had a 92% word recognition score but severe loss at high frequency. The muffling was bad, but not to the point where I couldn't hear.  The 1-2 days of severe nausea and the scar are the only other side effects I would consider important for me.

My post-op hearinf score is about 50%, but expected to improve.  If not, I am still very satisfied with my decision.

Let me know, if I can answer any other questions for you.

dpericoni

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 01:45:19 am »
Chapelhilman,

I am struggling a bit now. I had very good balance going in and with the hearing loss my head really spins when I am in a crowded location like the grocery store. This too shall pass.

Darlene
5mm by 8mm
middle fossa