Author Topic: I need advice  (Read 4178 times)

danijake

I need advice
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:27:33 pm »
This doesn't really have anything to do with AN. Well, I guess it kinda does since I had to quit my job. I moved in with my sister to take care of her 2 children while she works crazy hours. Her children are 8 yrs and 6 1/2 months! Then I have my 9 yr old also. I went from, "I don't want anymore babies--1 is enough" to having 3 kids!!! OVERNIGHT!! The baby is great. He just spits up A LOT. Now the 2 older ones---pushing the limits. They gang up on me! I don't spank unless it's absolutely necessary---and only on the butt. So, they get put in the hall for 10 minutes. That doesn't work because they get up and run from me. I can't run after them because it feels like my brain is bouncing around in my skull. They know that! What do I do? They'll be home in 30 minutes!!

Dani....VERY SCARED!!!!!!!! ::)

Kaybo

Re: I need advice
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 02:50:10 pm »
Danielle~
We just start taking things away -- whatever they love, just take it away...TV, Wii, Xbox, whatever...
You also might go with it from the "I really need some help..."and give them some true responsibilities..maybe even a small allowance to do chores - it might keep them focused on something else and help you keep your sanity.
 K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 04:29:49 pm »
Hi, Dani:

Physically and emotionally, this situation may be beyond your capacity to handle.  However, unless your 9-year-old has always been a discipline problem, it sounds as if your nephew (or niece, you didn't specify gender) is influencing your child and between them, they are overpowering you, in a sense.  I'm not a child psychiatrist and only helped raised one child (now 28 and a fine young man we're quietly proud of) but I would respectfully suggest you consider abandoning the tactic of trying to discipline these children with  punishments, which obviously hasn't worked, and try being calm and perhaps reading to them.  If they balk, ignore them and read aloud to yourself.  They may quiet down and join you.  This may sound impractical but it worked with my son, who loved to read, anyway.  I always thought of it as 'distraction therapy'.  Children get bored easily and often will misbehave just for attention and for 'something to do', so give them something to do, just as K suggested.  Again: 'distraction therapy'.  It might be worth a try.

I would also let your child know, privately, in a more-sorrow-than-anger approach, that you're disappointed in him (or her) for misbehaving and making your 'job' (babysitting) much harder than it has to be.  Always let them know that you love them but that you have (reasonable) expectations for them.  Your sister should also be informed of the discipline problem with her oldest and that it makes things extremely difficult for you...but don't put all the onus on her child, as that will simply trigger her normal 'mommy defensive posture' that all caring parents possess.  Admit that your child is being unruly, too and that you're working on that.  Perhaps she'll offer some ideas of how to tame her older child but if not, you may have to find another living arraignment because this situation sounds way too stressful for you to deal with, unless the chaos can be contained fairly soon, as I trust it will be.  :)

Jim        
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 04:44:49 pm »
I don't like the whole spanking thng but.... I have been known to pop my grandaughter. At work( a children's facility) we always used the 1 minute per year time out rule. I have found that rather than putting our grandaughter in time out... putting her toys in time out works better. When she loses her dvd player etc it gets her attention.
I love children and have worked with them for years. Maybe they are just trying you. I would think you would have to be a little tougher to begin with and my philosophy has always be keep them busy!!!! Games, reading resposibilities, anything structured!
I will definitely lift you up in prayer.
Take care and hang in there,
Lynn

LADavid

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 04:54:26 pm »
Dani
Man do I remember those days.  They do grow out of it -- I have an elegant and gifted 25 year old daughter today.  I have a mixture of Jim's and Kay's advice.  First, keep them away from sugar.  Secondly, don't use physical punishment -- it only makes them more beligerent and it shows that you have run out of options. It doesn't work with a nine year old.  Even if you're not, look calm.  If they know they're getting to you, they will.  Like Kay, I used to take things away.  Then give my daughter something to focus on.  If you can, put a schedule on their time.  I don't know what they're doing to get to you.  I do agree with Jim that each is influencing the other.  Maybe there's a way of separating them.  That's what my parents did when my brother and I got out of hand.  Lastly, I'd talk to your sister about it and work on a solution together.

Best wishes.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

danijake

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 07:57:44 am »
Thanks for the replies. I'll do that. They have a computer, playstation 2, Wii, nintendo DS, gameboys. Spoiled rotten. But they did really well. I was surprised. My sister's oldest is a girl and the baby is a boy. I will definitely practice your suggestions. Thank you!!!  :)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 06:32:32 am »
My ten year old went through trying to push my buttons about a month ago... ignoring her
and taking away the playstation worked ... she asked one day if I didn't care anymore as I
sat reading and ignoring her... I told her yes I cared but was not gonna make myself sick
because she was being a brat... it has worked and when she starts anything and I tune her
out she will head out the door and bounce on the trampoline for a few minutes and
came back in behaving nicely...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 08:22:09 am »
Taking away their "toys" certainly works; especially if it's something near and dear to their hearts.

I just confiscated my daughter's cell phone for a week and my son's X-box 360 for two weeks. 

They may say I'm mean, but you've got to show them who's boss  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 10:40:08 am »
Dani,

You, your sister and all the kids have some major readjustments to make.

Spanking is only taking out frustrations out on the kids.  Often kids take that “hittingâ€? skill they have just learned from their care giving-role-modeling adults and apply it to other kids. I have seen enough of this in the classroom and often the kids that take on either the bully or victim role at school - “spankingâ€? happens all too often in their homes. You need a balance of intrinsic and extrinsic motivators to bring peace and harmony into your household.

I highly recommend this author and public speaker.
Barbara Coloroso
Website
http://kidsareworthit.com/

She is brought in to speak within many school districts. She was brought into our city by the then Portland Parent magazine.
 (Now called Metro Parent http://www.metro-parent.com/)
Her anti-bullying workshops have been adopted by many schools – both public and private. Many parents find her parenting suggestions very constructive and effective. Homeschoolers too have her referenced in bibliographies on family management. She has a balanced approach that meets many parenting and teaching styles.

This is the book I highly recommend (check your library)
KIDS ARE WORTH IT
http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Are-Worth-Giving-Discipline/dp/0060014318

Make sure your sister (the main income earner of the household) gives you (the main caregiver) support and breaks from the kids to yourself – to get exercise, go for walks alone with fresh air and exercise etc… and a chance to release stress- constructively.

This thread could really start taking away from the Acoustic Neuroma topics and I can see a “spankingâ€? debate starting up here- which really is not part of the ANA forum mission… however we are here to be supportive to  AN patients. You are an AN’er who is going through a rough spell.

HUGS and support to you!

I recommend that you search out parent discussion forums specifically that you can talk with… perhaps other AN patient who were successful parents here- too can lead you in that direction by providing some links for you to look into for concrete and constructive feedback (specifically to parenting).

You are not the hired “babysitter� here- you are now the main stay-at-home “parent� & caregiver . Parenting is a very important job in society- without parents we would be living in William Golding’s Lord of the Flies . (In some communities this is happening with too many apathetic and uninvolved paretns) Stay-at-home parenting is a very noble profession… that is too often belittled. Do not let this happen to you. You are doing a very important job here – raising children. Surround yourself with people who value the stay-at-home parent and who will be supportive to you. Your new job of parenting 3 kids is a very important job! What happenes in those early childhood years is key- and this is a very importnant time in a child’s development. Lack of care and mistakes, made in the formative years, are very difficult to undo at the teenage years. (I have counsellled enough high school students and parents to know this.)

You and your sister, together, need to establish guidelines, order, structure and routines. When kids feel powerless and out-of-sorts this is when they act out. Boredom will do this too. Start planning your days… then weeks (from activities, to meal plans to even scheduled down time)

Here are just a few samples when I punched in “Parent discussion forums� in google.
http://www.todaysparent.com/community/index.jsp
http://singlefamilyvoices.com/eve/forums
http://singleparents.about.com/mpboards.htm
http://www.cafemom.com/

Local school districts and even homeschool support groups have this link
http://www.handsproject.org/home.html

For those of us AN patients who are also caregivers (of aging parents, young kids, special-ed adult children etc) many of us know that what the airline stewarts tell us is only so true.
    “You must put on you own oxygen mask -first .... otherwise you of no use to others.â€?

To be a good caregiver to your child, and your sister's children you need to identify your perimeters and limitations and know what you can and cannot take on – as you recover and rehabilitate from the treatment of your AN tumor. (Rehabilitate means mentally, physically, spiritually and yes even vocationally)

Finding Balance is the key here…

Keep Moving Forward.

Daisy Head Mazy :)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

danijake

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 03:14:53 pm »
Thank you so much for the replies. I didn't think I could do this, but with all of the advice I received on this topic, I think I can. They have been behaving surprisingly well since I explained to them about my recovery from two surgeries. My son still has a rough time when I tell him I have a headache. (I only tell him when it's really bad). I guess he is adjusting to the same things I am, just without the pain.

Thanks again!!
Dani ;D