Author Topic: NYU Doctors  (Read 2126 times)

fbarbera

NYU Doctors
« on: April 21, 2008, 05:08:56 pm »
A family friend in the NYC area, 58 years old, has a 1.7 cm AN.  He's been watching and waiting for a couple of years and apparently in recent months, the booger has gotten all restless and uppity.  He had a consultation with Drs. Jafar and Hammerschlag at NYU and they apparently have recommended him for surgery.  I find that somewhat surprising given his age, the somewhat moderate size of the AN, and his symptom profile (some tinnitus, moderate hearing loss, minimal balance problems).

In any event, my request for help:

I would appreciate any feedback on Drs. Jafar and Hammerschlag.  Their CVs look solid but I was surprised their names haven't come up in this forum.  If anyone has experiences with them that they'd be willing to share, it'd be much appreciated.

I would like my friend to consult with at least one physician who can give an unbiased perspective on Cyberknife/Gamma Knife.  Any recommendations in NYC or the 201 area code in New Jersey?

Thanks!

Francesco

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: NYU Doctors
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 05:54:11 pm »
Hi Francesco! :)

try this link, from the "Physician's" forum here... .not sure if you saw it but I recognize quite a few names here from patients that have used them. I hope it helps your friend:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6020.0

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

george3933

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 05:55:33 pm »
I am sorry, I can't help you with doctors in NY.  But mine is 13 mm, newly diagnosed, and I am being told it needs surgery.  I know I don't want it just sitting there, slowly growing and causing more symptoms.

I too need information about gamma knife/cyber knife.

George
12mm x 9mm x 13mm AN on left side.  Diagnosed on 4/5/08.

jtd71465

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 06:27:22 pm »
I had surgery at NYU in January of 2007 with Dr's Roland and Golfinos.  Feel free to send me an email with any questions or your contact information and I will share my experience(s).

Joe-

Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:48:45 pm »
It sure seems to me that people in the NY area have had Gamma or Cyber knife, but I can't recall names off hand. One place to look, or ask a doctor a question, or even get a freebie review of an MRI, is the cyberknife support site: http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/. Try the Message Board for an open forum, and About the Doctors for contact info.

Hopefully someone from the area can give you the name of a radiation doctor nearby. Sometimes it is hard to find "unbiased", and you have to settle for a surgery opinion from a surgeon, and a radiation opinion from an oncologist.

Good hunting.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 11:58:53 pm »
The one I was thinking of is Dr. Golfinos, a neurosurgeon and director of gamma knife at NYU.
See this thread: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6289.0
Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 12:32:09 pm »
I am having surgery with Drs. Golfinos and Roland at NYU next week.  Dr. Golfinos is also head of the Gamma Knife at NYU, so a great place to get a balanced view.  I'm surprised the NYU doctors didn't send your friend to Dr. G already?

As for surgery versus radiation (Gamma Knife) both size AND position of the tumor may dictate one treatment versus another.  Mine is about 2 cm, but because of location not a candidate for radiation. 

Let us know how your friend does with all of this.

Debbi - counting down in NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

fbarbera

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 01:37:24 pm »
Thanks so much to all.  I will pass on this wisdom on to my friend. 

George, I had cyberknife done in August 2007 for my AN.  Please feel free to email me directly to talk about my research process and experience with treatment.

Best,

Francesco