Author Topic: Surgery date postponed  (Read 2365 times)

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Surgery date postponed
« on: April 22, 2008, 09:55:45 pm »
I am very disappointed that my surgery date has been bumped from May 19 to June 16 by another AN patient with a tumor twice the size of mine and it's growing at a rate ten time that of a normal AN. I think to try and find another Dr. that will do my surgery would be useless because that would only delay it even more.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Surgery date postponed
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:45:13 pm »
HI, Syl:

I'm sorry to learn of your postponed surgery but these things can occur.  My surgery was postponed for a few weeks due to suspected cancer in my liver.  Thankfully, it was a false alarm and there was no cancer (a biopsy proved it).  As long as your AN isn't growing exponentially, a month delay is inconvenient but not a threat to your well-being or the chances for a successful operation.  Try to be patient.  June 16th is only a little over 7 weeks away.  :) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 02:22:18 pm »
Thanks you, Jim, for your words of encouragement.

I just want to be a postie and put this behind me.
I am reminded that things could be worse. My An is 1.5cm vs 3.0cm of the other much more critical AN patient.
I do count my blessings.

Friday I will have a 2nd MRI done and hope I can add the results to the rest of my blessings.

Syl

1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 02:32:04 pm »
Syl,

Hang in there... I know the wait now is a bit longer.... but, you too, soon, will be a postie and I will try to be one of the first to welcome you to that title! :)

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 02:34:09 pm »
Syl-

I really feel for you.  My initial surgical date was April 16 and when it changed to the 30th, I was totally stressed.  However, the time actually went very quickly and I am not less than a week away.  However, I must say that as I get closer, a whole new set of nervousness has kicked in!   :)

Hang in there!  And make sure your new date is on the AN calendar!

Debbi - haning in NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 02:36:12 pm »
Syl,
Hang in there.  My An was found in May of 2005, surgery was scheduled for the end of May, then postponed until June and the "team" my neurosurgeon insisted on working with wasn't available so I ended up being operated on at the end of July.  Mine was a 3.5 cm and I don't think it made the outcome any different waiting a little longer.  I will keep in my good thoughts and prayers.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 03:25:28 pm »
Hi Syl,

Cheering you one, too!

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 06:16:17 pm »
Syl -

sorry to hear about this, but it truly sounds like you were "bumped" for a good reason.  The other patient sounds like he/she really needs to have the surgery before you do.  Which could be viewed as good news for you  :)

Waiting is hard, but June 16th will be here before you know it.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Catflower

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 06:44:49 pm »
I know how disappointing this must be for you, but as others have said it was a necessary thing in another's best interest.  Keep your chin up.  I was diagnosed in November 2006 and couldn't get my surgery scheduled until April 17, 2007.