Author Topic: I ate with the chopsticks tonight!!!!  (Read 3082 times)

jerseygirl

I ate with the chopsticks tonight!!!!
« on: May 10, 2008, 07:50:53 pm »
Hello everybody,

Just want to share my progress. Tonight we went to eat sushi and for the first time since the second surgery ( I am 10 and a half months post-op) I ate with chopsticks! It is really not a big deal but it represents a return to normality to me which is exciting! Last time I tried chopsticks was 3 months ago and I still could not manage but could already eat with a fork. After surgery, I could not even eat with the fork. Recovery does happen!!! ;D I am almost at my pre-surgical self now but of course I realize that this "almost" can stretch for many more months.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: I ate with the chopsticks tonight!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 08:12:56 pm »
Way to go eve!

Daisy Head Mazy
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 08:17:10 pm »
Wonderful progress, Eve!

I've never been able to eat with chopsticks - even before my AN surgery   :D

Reaching milestones post op is such a great feeling.

Keep up the good work,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:07:47 am »
I'm with Jan.  If I was able to eat with chopsticks now, I'd think some miracle happened during my surgery.  All I've ever been able to do is fling rice around the table and onto my lap.   :-\

Congratulations Eve!  One more bit of progress!!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

cmp

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 02:15:13 pm »
Glad to hear it, Eve! Eating with chopsticks is a challenge even for folks with no post-op issues to deal with, so pulling it off really is a strong testament to your rebounding nerve/muscle function.

(Now maybe you can offer some pointers on eating sushi with grace--twenty years post op, I still can't handle any that's bigger than morsel-sized--either I'm stuck with a giant glob in one cheek, chipmunk-style, or I take an ever-so-careful bite and the whole thing still unravels all over the place...  :-\ )
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 07:18:14 am »
Eve -

You're my new role model!  I am dying to eat sushi but am feeling daunted by both the size and the chopsticks.  You've given me courage to take the leap (although I think I'll have Willie bring some home to try in privacy first - I fear the "chipmunk glob" on my cheek...)

Hooray, Eve!!

Debbi ... looking with longing at the chopsticks...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 07:33:34 am »
Eve~
I could never eat with chopsticks...of course, I never even had the opportunity to TRY oriental food until I was an adult.  My parents never ate it (my daddy thought that it looked like unmentionable things) so I never had the chance to try it.  Love it now!  My girlies can do the chopsticks -- especially with the "cheaters"!!   ::)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

jerseygirl

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 04:48:22 pm »
Thank you for all your kind words!!! It honestly feels like I have turned a corner and now am getting back to my pre-surgical activities and speed. I have no facial paralysis but manual dexterity and right-sided mouth numbness were a big problem. Therefore, even two months ago I could not even manage chopsticks! Sushi fell apart. One piece of it was in the soy sauce I was dipping into, another on the table, third on the plate. I could not bite into big rolls. Since I did not feel much at the end of my mouth, there was lots of stuff there and I had to wipe my mouth clean after every bite. Somehow food also ended on the floor and on the clothing I wore. What a mess! I hated eating in public for months! The good news is that all of this is going away completely. It's not too soon!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 05:09:56 pm »
GREAT!
Another chapter in your life closed!  One good thing about having to wipe your mouth after every bite: my SIL swears that my girlies do better than most about getting stuff on them when eating b/c they watched their momma wipe her mouth after every bite!!   ;D  Live by example...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 02:10:34 pm »
Eve:

Congratulations on this small-to-others-but-significant-to-you milestone.  Time really does heal.)

I'm almost 2 full years post-op and probably about 95% back to normalcy.  Frankly, the biggest gains usually seem to come during the first year, post-op.  Like most folks, chopsticks were always an Oriental mystery to me and will remain so.  That's why they invented forks.  :)

Seriously, thank you for sharing your progress with us.  We can all use good AN-related news and you've provided it from a first-hand perspective.  It's much appreciated.  I wish you many sushi dinners and chopstick finesse in the years to come.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.