Author Topic: HAVING FACE WEAKNESS  (Read 4417 times)

Edu

HAVING FACE WEAKNESS
« on: March 29, 2008, 08:33:29 pm »
HI, I HAD TRANSLAB SURGERY AT HEI ON MARCH 11. EVERYTHIHNG WENT VERY WELL, MY 3CM LEFT AN WAS COMPLETELY REMOVED AND MY FACIAL NERVE WAS LEFT INTACT. I HEVE BEEN FEELING GREAT AND EVERITHING WAS GOING VERY WELL, BUT YESTERDAY (almost 3 weeks post op) MY LEFT EYEBROW WOULD NOT LIFT EQUALLY AS MY RIGTH AND MY EYE WOULD NOT SQUINT AS HARD AS THE RIGTH. I BEEN ALMOST 5 DAYS OUT OF ALL MEDICATIONS (NO MORE FAMVIR OR STEROIDS) DO YOU THINK THIS LAZINESS COULD BE DUE THAT MY FACIAL NERVE IS STILL A LITTLE SWOLLEN. I AM BACK IN MEXICO CITY WERE I LIVE. ON MONDAY I WILL CALL THE DOCTORS AT HEI. BUT YOUR HELP WILL BE GREAT
THANKS

Dan

• Dan in Germany
Re: HAVING FACE WEAKNESS
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:00:00 am »
Hello Edu,

I had no facial weakness for the first 7 days after surgery then the doctors reduced the meds and within 2 days I had no movement at all on the AN side.  The Dr said that I had swelling that then pressed against the facial nerve and caused the paralysis.  He also said that I would probably recover 100% facial movement because I had no problems after surgery.  Now 6 months later I still have a litttle weakness but about 95% improvement.  I still can't whistle and have sometimes tears in the left eye but I think its still improving.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 05:02:32 am »
HI, I HAD TRANSLAB SURGERY AT HEI ON MARCH 11. EVERYTHIHNG WENT VERY WELL, MY 3CM LEFT AN WAS COMPLETELY REMOVED AND MY FACIAL NERVE WAS LEFT INTACT. I HEVE BEEN FEELING GREAT AND EVERITHING WAS GOING VERY WELL, BUT YESTERDAY (almost 3 weeks post op) MY LEFT EYEBROW WOULD NOT LIFT EQUALLY AS MY RIGTH AND MY EYE WOULD NOT SQUINT AS HARD AS THE RIGTH. I BEEN ALMOST 5 DAYS OUT OF ALL MEDICATIONS (NO MORE FAMVIR OR STEROIDS) DO YOU THINK THIS LAZINESS COULD BE DUE THAT MY FACIAL NERVE IS STILL A LITTLE SWOLLEN. I AM BACK IN MEXICO CITY WERE I LIVE. ON MONDAY I WILL CALL THE DOCTORS AT HEI. BUT YOUR HELP WILL BE GREAT
THANKS

Hi Edu,

As your body heals, it will go through several different stages.  I don't have the answer to your question, but calling the doctors at HEI will give you the most accurate info as they know your case specifically.  I hate when things happen over the weekend.

Please let me know what they tell you on Monday.

Kindest Regards,
Kate

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 01:43:26 pm »
I developed signs of weakness around days 9-10.  From that day the face developed "weakness" as my doctor described it.  By the time I saw the doctor to have the stitches removed I had an eye that needed care every half hour and a lazy lid, no eyebrow arch, and lazy nasal crease, and slightly drooped smile.  The weakenss cleared completely by the 6th week, just as the doctor said it would.

I doubt that cessation of meds had anything to do with my facial weakness.  The surgeon had to do a lot of picking to get all the bits of tumor off my facial nerve.  I was lucky to just have weakness to deal with.   

The numb tongue and taste issues held on for a long time, and I think the tongue recovery has a separate time frame for many people.

marymomof3

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 06:35:17 pm »
The tongue and lack of taste is an unusual thing.  I hadn't heard about this before op.  But I figure that if I have to live with something long term.... I'll take this anyday.

Mary
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

Edu

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 08:55:18 pm »
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INTEREST AND INFO. I´LL CALL THE DOCTORS AT HEI ON MONDAY AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT THEY TOLD ME. TODAY AFTER A LONG REST I LOOK BETTER THAN ON FRIDAY
THANKS
EDU

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 09:02:01 pm »
Dan in Germany,

While you are waiting for the other 5% improvement, it might help to keep your face warm on cool windy days and covered in the cold air.   

Edu

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 10:06:05 pm »
HI EVERYBODY; TODAY  I SPOKE TO DR DE LA CRUZ AT HEI, AND HE TOLD ME THAT IT WAS NORMAL AND THAT I SHOULD TAKE TYAMINE (I´M NOT SURE IF THAT IS THE WAY YOU WRITE THIS IN ENGLISH, IT IS A VITAMIN) FOR THE NEXT MONTH AND DO FACE EXERCISES. I´M FEELING MUCH BETTER.
THANKS AND I WILL KEEPYOU POSTED
EDU

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 05:01:36 am »
HI EVERYBODY; TODAY  I SPOKE TO DR DE LA CRUZ AT HEI, AND HE TOLD ME THAT IT WAS NORMAL AND THAT I SHOULD TAKE TYAMINE (I´M NOT SURE IF THAT IS THE WAY YOU WRITE THIS IN ENGLISH, IT IS A VITAMIN) FOR THE NEXT MONTH AND DO FACE EXERCISES. I´M FEELING MUCH BETTER.
THANKS AND I WILL KEEPYOU POSTED
EDU

That is great news Edu! 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 05:03:12 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 07:14:50 am »
Edu,

If you had full facial function after surgery your chances of returning to this are much higher than those of us who woke up with Bell’ Palsy  - immediately after surgery.

Actually this swelling probably did have something to do with the med withdrawal. The steroids and diuretics keep the swelling down. Once coming off- there can be swelling return that can apply pressure to the nerves. Especially if you were pulled off abruptly vs weaned off slowly. When I was pulled off the Diamox – I swelled up and had a CSF leak.

Look at this scale and figure out where you are

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/bells/index_files/hbscale.htm

Contacting HEI was very wise. DR DE LA CRUZ is a reputable world class surgeon. Given the size of your tumor and that you are doing well, other than some facial weakness- it sounds like you had a successful surgery.

Did you mean “TYAMINE� or “tyramine�?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyramine

Keep moving forward.

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

vcschaub

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 01:52:42 pm »
I also developed facial weakness 10 days post surgery. It slowly came back. I also consulted Jackie Diels at the University of Wisconsin for facial retraining when synkinesis developed. I have had botox shots as well. Both treatments have returned my face to normalcy.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

bpham

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 03:56:33 pm »
Had translab about 7 months ago...I had little facial weakness after the surgery. However, until now I'm still experiencing some loss of taste on that side (left) and also sometimes when I'm tired or stressed, then the left side feels like it does not have normal control.  However, I'm used to it and just forget about it. there are many things to do to enjoy so I don't let it bother me anymore.  You'll be OK after a few months.
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 08:38:38 pm »
Hi bham, it sounds like you are doing pretty well these days, and doing a good job of getting on with life. Nice to have you drop in, though. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.