Author Topic: i got rescheduled... need advice on post op recovery time...  (Read 5081 times)

Kaybo

Re: i got rescheduled... need advice on post op recovery time...
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 09:18:37 pm »
Steve~
I didn't stop & count it out, but I figured that it was July 4th -- thus your comment about the fireworks!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 09:24:13 pm »
Steve -

I just figured you were a pyromaniac looking for an excuse to start something on fire  ;D

Actually I didn't make the connection between 39 days and July 4th.  Can't believe I didn't pick up on that one.

As one of my nieces would tell me "Duh".

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 09:24:02 am »
Hey Trish-

First of all - I feel for you on the delay!  I thought my head would blow off when they rescheduled mine - however, the additional couple of weeks flew by and I was even more prepared for the surgery than I thought.

From my limited perspective of only a week post op - I think you will definitely want to have someone for at least the first few weeks to help you out.  Not only will you probably need lots of rest, but it is just nice to know that someone is there if you fall or something goes wrong.  I am truly blessed that my parents are staying here for several weeks -  I think I would have been frightened to be totally on my own during the day.  As well as I have done with this, I am still wobbly and experienceing many new sensations.

I will also say that talking to people for more that short times wears me out (not on the phone, but face-to-face).  Because my right eye doesn't really blink, it is quite tiring to make eye contact.  I've been very upfront with people about this and so no one minds when I say  that I have to shut my eyes for a few minutes and just listen.  I am also being diligent about reminding people to talk on my good side, and to not talk too loud (I can hear just fine out my left ear, but loud noises sound REALLY loud now.)

I guess what I am trying to say - don't be afraid to tell people what you need and to ask for help.  Hardest thing I've ever done, because I am the caretaker in the family, but I know I can't do everything right now.

Keep hanging in there.  Your surgery date will be here before you know it.  And, ask as many questions as you need - it helps.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 06:10:26 pm »
well i was more or less out of it for about 2 days when i came home. then 3 or 4 of limited ups and downs. being helped down halls. glad we didnt live in that 2 story anymore.

it took almost 3 weeks b4 everything more or less stabilized to where i could do everyday stuff by myself......
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

calimama

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 06:50:30 pm »
Ug... now i am bumped another week to Jan 2. Very frustrating...
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Kaybo

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 08:34:21 pm »
JANUARY 2nd -- please tell me that was a typ-o & you meant JUNE or JULY!!!!!    ???     ???     ???     ???     ???     ???

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 08:35:55 pm »
Trish -

I think your post contains a typo - at least I hope it does :)  You've been bumped to June 2nd, correct  ???

This must be so frustrating for you, but it does give you a little more time to plan your recovery, which might be a good thing.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 06:24:15 am »
Boy do i agree with Boppie............this is going to take some time for you to get close to back to normal.

and 4 days or a week isnt going to do it. you are going to be very tired, may be off balance a bit and wont , i'm sure, be up to your normal mommy self for that young one.

i took a lot of naps and my wife had to help me walk a bit farther every day.

so id plan on some real quiet places and let someone dolt all over you, like your mom.
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here