Author Topic: 1.5ish year post surgery MRI  (Read 2431 times)

chopper

1.5ish year post surgery MRI
« on: May 16, 2008, 12:12:53 pm »
More like 1 year 7 months  :-\

Finally got around to having a post op MRI done last week.  All is well, save a bit of extra empty space in my head where the tumor was.  Got cleared to come back in 5+ years lol

The doc I consulted commented more than a few times on how well the surgeon's work was (skull base institute) and that had I seen him pre-surgery, he'd in no way have directed me to the House institute to be worked on.   I found that a bit odd as they have mostly positive reactions on here and asked why, and he said that he found their methods of operation a bit brutal and archaic.  Odd to hear that coming from a neurosurgeon, but he earned some brownie points with me for being honest about his opinion.
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

jerseygirl

Re: 1.5ish year post surgery MRI
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 02:05:41 pm »
Chopper,

I am really glad to hear that you are doing so well AND have a clear MRI! Congratulations!

I also find comments about HEI a bit odd given the fact that there are so many positive reactions...

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 02:49:27 pm »
chopper,
  Excellent news on the follow up MRI.  Did you have to come back to the lower 48 for the MRI?  Really good to hear you're doing well.

Because of the difficult nature of Neurosurgery and the thorny problems they try to fix, I have yet to come across a Neurosurgery program that has never received any criticism.  It's one of the difficult things about AN-- trying to work through all the data, feedback, complication rates, reputations, patient experiences,  etc., etc., to make informed treatment decisions.  There are no absolutes.

Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

chopper

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 07:34:19 am »
the difficult things about AN-- trying to work through all the data, feedback, complication rates, reputations, patient experiences,  etc., etc., to make informed treatment decisions.  There are no absolutes.

That is so very true.

Yeah, did have to come back to the good old US to have the thing done, but it's all good, I was on vacation anyway.  Well worth the hour and half of my life.  :-) 
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.