Author Topic: Balance after surgery/hearing loss before surgery  (Read 2948 times)

Boppie

Balance after surgery/hearing loss before surgery
« on: November 27, 2005, 09:36:23 pm »
If you had translab could you comment on the amount of hearing loss you had before the surgery, and then give me an estimate of the length of time it took you to walk safely on your own?  Also, were you walking with an aid of some sort post op? 

wanderer

Re: Balance after surgery/hearing loss before surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 10:04:07 pm »
85% loss of speech comprehension.

About 12 hours after surgery,  but really wasn't allowed to do anything for 24 hours.    Was nearly normal except for fatigue by 2 days and was at home feeling fine.

I ended up with other complications but no real problems after the first surgery.

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 11:10:47 pm »
I had a translab with a 12% hearing loss before surgery.  My tumor's size and location dictated the type of surgery.  I was in ICU for three days because of fluid in my brain.  I started to do a little walking when I got to my regular room on the fourth day.  Balance was a little off so I moved slowly.  I left the hospital after 8 days and could walk on my own fairly well, though I did use a can more so to provide with emotional support than anything else.  It's been nearly 3 months and my balance is about 90% of what is was before surgery. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

nannettesea

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 07:36:59 pm »
Near perfect hearing in the bad ear, but opted for Trans-lab to get all the vestibular nerves cut due to sudden dizziness which I had for 4 months before surgery.

Post surgery, dizziness is worse still after 3 months post op, but I think I'm unusual.  Now doc tells me 3-6 months to get my balance back if I do rigorous physical therapy.  Great, when I already feel bad!

Hope that helps.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

russ

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 07:10:26 pm »
Hi Boppie!
  I had 50% hearing loss. 3 days after surg, I was walking with assistance. 6 days later, walking w/o assistance.
  Russ

Rex

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 02:36:47 pm »
Perfect hearing before translab.  My AN was 3.1cm so there was llittle chance of hearing preservation so I opted for translab vs. retrosigmoid.  Walking with assistance day 2, walking w/o (although a little wobbly) day 3.  Cleared by doctor to start driving after 2 weeks.  Took about 5-6 weeks before I could walk in a straight line at night.

sdinapoli

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 04:06:07 pm »
Lost some hearing prior to surgery including all speech recognition and opted for translab providing better exposure for complete removal while maintaining facial function. Doing good so far 18 mos. post op without any headaches, eye, facial and/or cognitive problems whatsoever. I guess some truth could be told that the smaller the tumor the better odds are of protecting these functions. I have complete hearing loss right side and tinnitus and that's it. I needed assistance walking on day two and was on observation day three. It just felt like I was really drunk for the first few days. I was doing very well by day four and went home. I stayed in bed a lot but made it a point to walk around the neighborhood taking on more physically every day. Before I knew it I was walking on the treadmill at two weeks, light driving around three weeks and back to work in 6 weeks (desk job).  Balance was real goob by three weeks with only minor adjustments here and there. Today I don't believe my balance to be any setback whatsoever and do all the things I used to do with no restrictions. Wish You The Best!  Steve D

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 06:38:16 pm »
Thanks so much for the responses.  As Russ and so many others have said, each case is different.  But input like the posts here are so very helpful and encouraging to people who are looking at surgery.  We need to program our thinking towards a recovery that comes with work and patience.  I am imagining myself wobbling around the hospital bed and then the nurse station already.
Lois White AKA "Boppie" (That's my grandsons' nickname for me)  Translab due December 15, Houston.