Author Topic: 6 yr post-op and summer heat  (Read 2180 times)

dpetty

6 yr post-op and summer heat
« on: June 30, 2008, 12:27:15 pm »
Anyone notice their body temperture seems to go up faster in the summer heat after AN surgery? I am 6 yrs post-op and in excellent health\condition and it seems I sweat a bucket every time I am outside which is nearly all the time. I had read an article that surgery disrupts the body's cooling system, not sure if that is true but sure seems so.

David

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 6 yr post-op and summer heat
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 12:57:34 pm »
David:

I'm not aware of increased body temperature post-op, but it's an interesting observation.  Invasive surgery such as we've undergone does have long-lasting effects, some good, some not-so-good, some neutral.  This may be one of the latter. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

dpetty

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 01:13:16 pm »
Well I can say before I had the surgery I didn't sweat half as much as I do now, like i said the article I read claimed that it altered the body's cooling to the point of making the body think it is hotter than it really is so it produces more sweat for cooling.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 02:28:56 pm »
David -

although I'm only 1 year post op, I've noticed something similar.

I'd attribute it to menopause - since I'm obviously female - but I've "been there, done that" many years ago.  No, I'm not THAT old - I was just "lucky" enough to go through everything early.

Anyway, I figured that this issue was just related to stress - since Lord knows I've got plenty of that in my life  :D

If you run across that article again, please post it.  I'd be very interested in reading it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways