Author Topic: 1 Year Post Translab  (Read 3088 times)

zjane

1 Year Post Translab
« on: June 27, 2008, 09:23:29 am »
It seems such a long time ago yet it has gone by so fast.

1 year ago today I had my translab surgery after failed radiosurgery for a right side AN

My AN at time of surgery was 2.3cm
The tumor was difficult to remove because it was radiated before
They removed 100% of the tumor after 7 hours

I had facial weakness but luckily I could close my eye
I had a CSF leak
Morning of the 6th day I was discharged only to return in the afternoon after another CSF leak
I had a spinal drain
I was in the hospital for another 3 days before finally returned home

I went back to work after 8 weeks

My face slowly recovered, my smile is a bit crooked but I'm told if someone didn't know what happened to me they would not be able to tell there's anything wrong with my face

4 month post surgery I went to China for vacation with my husband and 3 1/2 old son

I had a wonderful holiday

In the spring allergy season I experienced ear pain now I've grown used to it

10 month post surgery we went to DisneyWorld

Now I'm 11 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child.  I'm due in January and will get my first post-surgery MRI after I have my baby.

Thanks to God.
Thanks to my family.
Thanks to the wonderful surgery team @ hinsdale hospital.  Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan.
Thanks to all of you on this Forum who helped me during this journey.

I'm hopeful I will have wonderful news to report in Feburary next year.
right side AN found Nov 04 1.0x0.7
FSR Cabrini - Dr. Lederman 5 sessions Nov 05 1.4x1.0
Translab Hinsdale Hospital - Dr. Wiet / Dr. Kazan Jun 07 2.3x1.2 (CSF leak, lumbar drain)

2yr Post-Op MRI Apr 09 Clean

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: 1 Year Post Translab
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 11:44:21 am »
Jane -

congratulations to you!  I am thrilled with your great recovery and delighted that you are pregnant again  ;D  If I had my way I'd have several more children - there's absolutely nothing in the world like being a parent.

Although we've "talked" and I knew that radiation failed for you, I had no idea of the post op stuff you went through last year!  I am so thankful that you got past all those hurdles.  You definitely had a great team @ Hinsdale Hospital - Battista & Kazan performed my surgery roughly one month before Wiet & Kazan performed yours. 

Best wishes for an easy delivery and a "clean" MRI.

Keep in touch,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »
Jane,

Congratulations on your 1 yr anniversary and your pregnancy! You are a prime example that life not only goes on after an AN, but it does so with joys and lots of good stuff.

Eleven days post-op
Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

lori67

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 04:27:48 pm »
Jane, what great news!  Congratulations!

It sounds like you've done very well since your surgery and haven't let it stop you!  Good for you!

And Syl, you're absolutely right - things might be different after surgery, but life goes on and there's no reason great things can't happen!

Now Jane, go eat some ice cream and take a nap!   :D 
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

zjane

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 09:30:22 pm »
Thanks ladies for such kind words!  Sometimes I do have to remind myself to look forward and focus on how to make my life a happier one rather than to scare myself with bad thoughts and worries.

Syl good luck with your recovery! 

Jan I don't come here often but you make me laugh so hard every time I read your posts!

Lori I just had ice cream and ready to hit bed.  Consider I was on-call last night worked from 3am to 5am and back to work at usual time I just need to catch up on the sleep.

right side AN found Nov 04 1.0x0.7
FSR Cabrini - Dr. Lederman 5 sessions Nov 05 1.4x1.0
Translab Hinsdale Hospital - Dr. Wiet / Dr. Kazan Jun 07 2.3x1.2 (CSF leak, lumbar drain)

2yr Post-Op MRI Apr 09 Clean

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 10:54:40 pm »
Jane -

do you hear from Ellenmn at all?  I know her surgery was with Battista & Kazan the day after yours last year - so tomorrow is her 1 year anniversary.  I'm hoping she'll post a message and tell us how she's doing.

I'm glad I can make you laugh - as I always tell my kids "I live to serve!"  ;D

We'll have to get together one of these days when I'm out your way - maybe before the baby is born.

Hope to see you on the forum more often  :)

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Ellenmn

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 05:32:17 pm »
Zane glad to hear you're doing so well. I have often thought about you and how you are doing.
Congrats on expecting the second one.
As you know today is my one year. I had my MRI and I see Dr. Battista Monday.
They weren't able to get all of mine so I'm a little nervous about it.
I still don't have recovery of my right side. People tell me that they see improvement but all I know is that things still don't work right and I hate seeing my self in pictures. It hasn't stopped me from doing things though. As much as my husband hates it I back working 12-13 hrs a day.
I still have the gold weight in my eyelid and I often have stabbing pains on my right side, but I'm hoping that means it's still recovering.
Other than that I'm doing well.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 07:06:09 pm »
Ellen -

happy 1 year anniversary  ;D

Glad to hear you are doing well, even though you still have a little way to go.

I'm hopeful Dr. Battista has some good news for you tomorrow.  Please let us know how your appointment goes.

Oh, and if you think of it, please give Dr. Battista my best.  He's such a nice man and such a great doctor; I'm glad we both found him  :)

Jan Benjamin