Author Topic: Physical effects after balance test??????????????  (Read 3789 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Physical effects after balance test??????????????
« on: June 24, 2008, 07:04:10 pm »
Hi!

I had a balance test yesterday.  I had one when I was first diagnosed, and it came out normal, and other than motion sickness I had no after effects.  With this one however, I have had a headache for two days (on AN side), earache, dry eye, and facial problem (like when the feeling starts to come back after having novicane for dental work).  I called the doc's office yesterday, and the PA said this wasn't usually a side effect but perhaps the ear just got irritated.  She said to call back tomorrow if I continued to have symptoms.  The first balance test they used warm and cold water for the caloric irrigation (which caused motion sickness), and this time they used warm and cold air instead (which also caused motion sickness).  When she was putting the "warm" air in my AN ear, I thought she was burning my eardrum.  I gasped, and then it seemed like she might have had the temp too high because she took it out for a moment, and then when she put it back in it was just warm and not hot. When she did my other ear, I didn't have that "hot" sensation.   I was busy most of the day, and I didn't really think about my ear, etc.  When I got home I noticed some of the same stuff just not as intense.  Just wondering if any of you had similar physical symptoms (other than motion sickness because that is common) after your balance test.  Just thought it was weird that it only happened in my AN ear.  Thanks for reading my post.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Gloriann

Re: Physical effects after balance test??????????????
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 08:14:30 pm »
I had a test like what you described, back in 1979, at the time that a doctor was trying to figure out the cause of my hearing loss, but I don't remember having any symptoms like you have described here.
Is your doctor sure you have an acoustic neuroma or is he looking at any other causes of your hearing loss?
4 cm AN removed 2001- Memphis, Tn by
Dr Gale Gardner and Dr Jon Robertson

7/12 nerve graft 2002- Dr Jon Robertson

gold weight 2001 Memphis, a few days after tumor surgery- Dr James Fleming

Gamma Knife done December 29, 2010 at LSU Shreveport

Nancy Drew

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:28:02 pm »
Hi Gloriann,

Pretty sure it is an acoustic neuroma.  I have had five MRIs, and all have just recently been presented before a panel of various types of doctors who deal with ANs.  I have seen all of my MRIs, and I have compared them to what I have seen on websites.  So, I don't think there is any doubt at this point.  I am going to another AN doc on Monday for a second opinion about W & W vs GK or some other treatment.  If these symptoms I'm having persist, I am calling the doctor's office again tomorrow.  I will only be able to talk to the PA though because the doc is on vacation until next week, and he is in private practice.  The thing that worries me the most is the numb feeling in my face on the AN side.  I think that is supposed to be one of the symptoms of an AN.  If the balance tester did something wrong and caused a problem I will be bummed.  I am the one who requested the balance test in the first place.  I am probably overreacting, and I am sure whatever it is will clear up.  Thanks for your reply. 

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

rosalie

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 07:39:48 am »
Nancy,

I just had a balance test last week. They did both the air and water on me. I noticed that on my AN side the air seemed hotter and colder than on the non AN side. After I left the office I did seem to have a small earache on the AN side. It went away after 4 or 5 hours though. I just figured it was from all the water they force into the ear.
Rosalie
translab surgery July 1, 2008 with Dr. Luetje and Dr. Camarato in Kansas City to remove 2 cm tumor on right side.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 11:28:13 am »
Hi, Nancy:

I'm sorry you experienced such unpleasant sensations following your balance test. 

Frankly, after 5 MRI scans and numerous physicians reviewing them, I would assume that you having an Acoustic Neuroma would be fairly well established by now.  If so, I find it difficult to understand the need for a balance test.  However, it's done now and I'll join you in hoping and expecting that these sensations will abate soon. I doubt anything that was part of the test aggravated the AN, but I'm not a doctor so that is simply speculation.  However, squirting hot and cold water into your ear canal seems as if it might have some negative consequence, although I expect they'll be temporary. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nancy Drew

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 11:51:27 am »
Hi Rosalie,

That was a good post about water and air being hotter and colder on the AN side.  Maybe that is true for me also and not the tester doing something wrong.  I think the symptoms are subsiding today so I am hoping I was just overreacting at this point.  I am just very paranoid these days about this whole ordeal.  That's probably a normal reaction when your doctor wants to go from W & W to treatment.  I am going to do lots of research before I actually do anything.

Hi Jim,

I requested the balance test because I wanted to cover all of my bases before deciding on anything.  If my balance is good, then it might affect my decision to W & W or have treatment. It will also give me a baseline to work with.  I haven't gotten my results yet, but I am going to call later this afternoon.  I am seeing my psychologist today so I can stay on top of my emotions.  Things get out of hand in my head, and she helps me with deal with my anxiety without having to use medication.  I am thinking if I do have any kind of treatment, I will wait until the end of August or September.  I want to enjoy the summer and put this thing on hold for awhile.  I have time, and I know the things I need to look for (changes in hearing and balance issues).  I have asked my husband and some of my best friends to be on the lookout to see if anything changes.  In a way I guess I am just going to W & W for a little longer. 

Thanks to all of you for the support.  I have been posting a lot, and it has helped to have all of the input.  I am sure many have been in this position before--confused beyond belief.  It's good we have this community.

Thanks,

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs