Author Topic: hole in head  (Read 6951 times)

Patti

Re: hole in head
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 11:09:11 am »
well, it is comforting to know i am not alone!  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Patti

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 11:11:22 am »
carrie-i am so sorry to hear you have to have removal again!!  how old were you the first time?  how did it go?  how did you find out about the new one?  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 11:59:17 am »
Wow, as David said, this has given me somethign new to worry about!  Since I'll be seeing the neurotologist Monday, I'm going to ask him exactly what (besides belly fat) is in my head!  I am pretty sure I remember the neurosurgeon saying that they replace the chunk (technical term) of skull after the surgery, but not sure about screws, plates ,etc. 

Carrie, I am sending lots of positve energy and prayers your way for Tuesday.  Do you have someone to act as a scribe for you?  You know we'll all be anxious...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

cmp

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 06:48:00 pm »
Patti--I was 29 for the first surgery, and found the regrowth in February, after going to my PCP with some trigeminal neuralgia-like symptoms (very mild and intermittent, and on the non-AN side!) and being referred for an MRI. I had 20 good years between surgeries, and and hoping to break that record this time!

And thanks, Debbi, for the good energy and prayers--definitely in order! My husband will be posting updates for me--he pretty much goes through life glued to his laptop, so all he needs to do is go to a part of the hospital with wifi and type away!
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

wendysig

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 09:24:47 pm »
Patti -
I was amazed when I read your post.  I had no idea some surgeons left a hole in their patients' skulls and closed over them.  Even though it seems there are no ill effects from that practice, I asked my neurotologist what he does.  It made me feel better that he uses titanium mesh, I'm not sure I'd be okay with a hole in my head, even though it doesn't really seem to pose any real problems.  Hope no one else manages to elbow you again -- that does seem unlikely.  Wishing you all the best.

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 07:53:15 am »
As Dr. Roland was subduing my spitting sutures yesterday, I asked about this.  Turns out that they glued the piece of my skull back in (he said it's about the size of a silver half dollar) and attach it with several small titanium plates.  Very interesting.  He also assured me that the titanium won't set off metal detectors!  (which I already knew since I also have a titanium market in my **** - but that's a story for another day... :o)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 07:58:50 am »
He also assured me that the titanium won't set off metal detectors!  (which I already knew since I also have a titanium market in my **** - but that's a story for another day... :o)

Debbi -

can't wait for that story!  You might have to post it on your blog though so Phyl doesn't censor you  :D

Titanium also won't show up in MRIs - learned that one from my doc just last week!  We are such special people, aren't we?  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 02:22:56 pm »
Jan -
We're obviously special, otherwise we wouldn't have ben "blessed" with ANs.  Only the most special people get to have them!

Feeling truly "special" today!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 08:22:47 pm »
Well, I don't know about you, Wendy, but I could have probably gotten through my life just fine without being "blessed" and "special"  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 09:11:33 pm »
Yeah, but then you wouldn't be talking to us!  You'd miss us!   ;D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 09:32:06 pm »
Yeah, but then you wouldn't be talking to us!  You'd miss us!   ;D

This is SO true!  I don't know what I'd do without you guys!

I guess I'd be forced to take my droll sense of humor elsewhere  :P

wendysig

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 06:28:47 am »
Jan and Lori -
I'm always looking for the silver lining and here it is in black and white (well, I guess your pictures are in color Mine would be too if only I could post a picture -- I'm so hopeless at this stuff).  Lori is right -- if we hadn't been "blessed" with our ANs we wouldn't have "met" and would have missed the opportunity to share our own brands of humor and compassion. 

Lori - I'm getting so absent-minded I'll blame it on my AN (they certainly do have their uses).  Did I PM you last night (I think I did) and let you know I wasn't going to make it to the Shore on the 18th after all?  Doctors have a way of ruining  my well intentioned plans, and it looks like I'll be spending my day at Dr. Choe's and Dr. Chen's offices.  Hopefully there will be another opportunity soon.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 07:09:52 pm »
Don't worry Wendy - there are days I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached!  Yes, I did get your PM.

I think you should wear your bathing suit and bring a towel and a beach chair (and a margarita) to your doctor's office so they know what you'd rather be doing!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 07:35:03 pm »
I think you should wear your bathing suit and bring a towel and a beach chair (and a margarita) to your doctor's office so they know what you'd rather be doing!   :D

Wendy -

if you actually take Lori's suggestion, I think you should have someone take a nice colored picture and I will personally walk you through posting it on this forum  ;D

I would not want to miss that  :D

Jan