Author Topic: Good luck, Carrie  (Read 4495 times)

robynabc

Re: Good luck, Carrie
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 09:50:54 pm »
Hi Carrie,

Sorry you have to go through this again.  Two things struck me.  First,  brain surgery has changed alot since the last time you had this done.  I am sure it will be easier than it was last time. 

The other thing is that your son may be much better having something to keep his mind occupied.  We didn't even stay at the hospital during Eric's surgery and it was the best thing.  We had things to do here to keep us occupied.  Good luck,  I know you will be fine. 

Robyn
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

lori67

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 10:40:28 am »
Carrie -

I hope everything goes well and that this is the last time you'll have to deal with this ever again!  Can't wait to hear from you when it's all behind you. 

I'll be thinking about you, and your son (hope he's having a blast at camp!) and sending lots of good wishes, prayers and everything else good your way!

You're a very tough lady to be able to go through this more than once.  I know you'll do well!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

calimama

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 07:13:23 pm »
Hi Carrie,

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery from your friend in Toronto Canada.

all good things,
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

cmp

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 05:35:24 am »
thanks robyn, Lori, and Trish for your good wishes!

Jordan is all revved up for his duties as scrivener. We decided it made sense for him to book a room at the small MGH-owned hospitality hotel (a LOT cheaper than the $350/night Holiday Inn across the street!), so that when he gets back from his 5 hour schlep to the Berkshires, he can park the car for a while and rest up in between visiting me. My daughter will take the train in and join him the second night, then they'll both go home. (We're only about 1 hour or so from the hospital, but in traffic it's a nasty and much longer drive, and of course makes dropping in for visits at different times of day less than convenient...)

I started on the Decadron and Zantac my neuro told me to take for 2 days prior to surgery, and boy has it given me a whopper of a headache and stomachache. I'm going to check in when the office opens at 9 before taking my  next dose. Hardly slept last night--not because of anxiety, but because I felt like &*$#. When I see "The Hulk" later with my kids (their choice, not mine, I swear!), and Bruce Bana starts grabbing his head and howling as he turns huge and green, I'll be thinking to myself "exactly my sentiments..."   ;)

Later...
Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 07:29:24 am »
Carrie -

hope you feel better soon, shades of the Hulk don't sound like fun at all  :(

Mind if I ask why your doc has you on Decadron and Zantac?  I've never heard of this before surgery and I'm just curious what it's supposed to do for you.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 08:57:12 am »
Carrie, I sure hope you don't turn big and green, but I hope you get muscles big enough to fight this AN to the death this time around!

Makes me glad my son is old enough to go to movies without me and my two younger girls have no interest in the Hulk!  Of course, I have had my share of Princesses and Little Ponies!  I guess we all have our crosses to bear!   ;D

Good luck again!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 09:30:24 am »
Hi Carrie,
How are you?  I know tomorrow is the  day of your surgery and wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you, as I am sure many here are.  I'm sending lots of positive energy your way and wanted you tp know you'll be in my prayers.  I'm crossing everything crossable and hoing this will help ensure that you have an excellent outcome.  I am looking forward to reading your husband's posts updating us on how you are,  and eventually hearing from you , when you're up to it.  Wishing you lots of luck and all good things.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

LADavid

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 04:40:18 pm »
In that I got lost before, I felt like I might again.  Has anyone heard about how Carrie made out?
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 04:50:58 pm »
David -

just tuned in myself, so I haven't had time to search the forum yet.  But if I find anything, I'll return to this thread and give you a heads up!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways