Author Topic: Post-op pregnancy... anyone else  (Read 3825 times)

Socks001

Post-op pregnancy... anyone else
« on: June 17, 2008, 07:06:52 am »
Hi,
I'm not quite new here... I used to post about 4-5 years ago after my AN surgery and have kind of fallen off the face of the Earth in the last few years...
Anyway... the reason I'm posting...

Has anyone else been pregnant since removal of AN?

My AN was taken out in Jan 2003 and I had alot of problems with headaches up until about a year and a half ago also I was left with alot of balance problems... a year and a helf ago my husband and I moved and life has been much better since... and at the grand age of 35 (and a bit) I now find myself pregnant... 14 weeks down already...

In the last few weeks the headaches and nausea have returned with a vengence... my gynae is concerned as to whether I shoudl be pregnant at all and I am trying to convince her that everything will be OK, but I will most likely need a cesarean as any kind of effort or straining (or even sneezing) are to this day very painful for me....

I am just wondering about other people's experiences... BTW this is our first baby and so far it looks fine in there... it's just me on the outside that's not having such a good time of it...

Thanks
Head opened in January 2003
Completely deaf on AN side... lots of headaches and dodgy balance

Kaybo

Re: Post-op pregnancy... anyone else
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 07:57:28 am »
Hi Socks!

I had surgery 12 years ago & I  have gone on to have 3 beautiful girlies - the 1st one was probably a little soon after the surgery, if you want to know the truth, but I just wanted a baby so bad!!  I had a LOT of complications after surgery - including balance issues - I still have balance issues when I get tired.  It was never an issue about me being pregnant, though.  I had trouble STAYING pregnant (4 miscarriages) but I don't think that this had ANYTHING to do with the AN - just my wacky body.  You are past that now so I wouldn't worry about that.  I don't have the AN headaches (however I did have some headaches AFTER I had the baby just b/c I was so tired and really that was after my 3rd - my 2nd & 3rd were only 19 months apart so I had two babies still), but those 1st 3 months can be tough w/ morning sickness so I would understand that some of those things would be hightened during that time.  I had my 1st child in Austin (Texas) and my Dr. didn't seem to think that there was ANY problems b/c of the AN.  We moved and so I had a different Dr. for the last two.  Interestingly enough, at my THIRD delivery, he said something about forceps because he didn't want me to strain too much - uh, shouldn't we have thought about that the 1st two times??  I had super easy deliveries 3 hours, 2 hours, & 46 minutes(w/ them holding the baby in for the Dr. to arrive) so the forceps weren't needed.  I would definitely go the C-section route since you already have problems!!
How exciting for you and you hubby!!  Don't worry about the AN and being pregnant - enjoy this time as much as you can!

K  *check out my blog - address in signature*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Socks001

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 08:17:53 am »
Thanks Kaybo,
I just looked at your bog... your girlies look wonderful... I must admit that I really fancy a girl... obviously I don't have much choice in the matter and will be quite happy with a boy...
Part of my problem with sneezing, straining etc is that they thdid the op using the retrosigmoid method and left a big hole in my head/skull which is where most of my pain on straining starts... is this the method they used on you? Sorry for asking but just wondering?
I must admit that after only 3 months I am looking forward to the pregnancy bit being over... the doctor said to enjoy it, but I must admit that I'm not sure what there si to enjoy about being sore, sick and headachey all the time is...
Ah well it will be worth it in the end...
All the best....

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 09:12:53 am »
Socks~

I had a Translab so they went in thru my ear and I sacrificed the hearing on that side.  Hopefully things will get better as you go along.  Have you tried Acidolpholis (sp?) &/or ginger capsules - they both help relieve some nausea.  I took Acidolpholis with all 3 - I have just discovered ginger (my MIL reccommended it when I was so sick with the T3 surgery that I just had) - it works great, but you might want to run it by your OB just to make sure it is OK w/ pregnancy!  I always thought that I would have boys and girlies - but I trust that God knew what HE was doing when I got all girls - wouldn't change it for the world now!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 09:34:25 am »
Socks - Congratulations!  It will be worth it in the end - boy or girl!

I had all mine prior to my AN diagnosis, so I can't really answer any of those questions, but I just wanted to say congratulations anyway!  The first 3 months are usually pretty miserable for everyone, but hopefully it will get better and you can enjoy your pregnancy.  And just think about how wonderful it will be once the baby arrives - you tend to forget about about the feeling miserable part.  And if not, when your child misbehaves, you always have something to hold over his/her head - "I carried you for 9 months and was sick all the time, and you thank me by coloring on the walls!??"

Hang in there!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 10:07:19 am »
Socks -

congratulations!  Being pregnant is so exciting and wonderful  ;D  You might feel kind of "yucky" now, but in a few weeks that feeling will most likely pass and you will feel much better until about your ninth month.

I had my children long before my AN was diagnosed, but I do know someone on this forum who is currently pregnant.  Her user id is zjane.  She hasn't posted in a while, but if you PM her, I'm sure she'd be able to give you some advice and tell you what she is going through.

If you search on "zjane" you will bring up her profile and towards the bottom of the page is a line that says something like "send this member a personal message".  If you click on it, you can send her a personal email that she can respond to through this forum.

Good luck,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Socks001

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 05:23:17 am »
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Kaybo, I will try those things for the nausea... it really is getting to me at the moment...
Leapyrtwins, thanks, I will try to contact zjane...
It is good to know that there are other people out there who have happily had children after this....
I also can't believe how excited my husband is about it all ... I must admit, that without his help in the initial months post op, i probably wouldn't have coped as he really looked after me , and now is being very understanding of my feeling unwell and really is looking after me again...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 06:48:40 am »
Socks -

thought of someone else who had a baby post op.  Here is a topic she started http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6024.msg56248#msg56248

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cmp

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 09:43:45 am »
Hi Socks--

I had a large (5 cm) AN removed in '89, when my daughter was a year old. It took a while to get my energy back (and I subsequently had a nerve graft for facial palsy and tear duct cauterization for persistent dry eye), but overall my health was OK--my balance was decent if not what it was before, and I didn't have a problem with headaches, leaks, etc. It was a very long haul, though, and I was really kind of nervous about how my body would handle being pregnant again, which was a good part of the reason we waited 5 years before having our second child. I was 29 for the first surgery, and 34 when my son was born, and everything was absolutely fine--healthy pregnancy, healthy baby (now a strapping, 6' tall 15 year old!)

I am wondering if you could get your AN doctor's take on this? Your OB-gyn may not have the familiarity with ANs to assess accurately whether your headaches (if they resolved a year and a half ago) are related to the AN or a pregnancy-related issue (as the nausea may also be), and so may be worrying needlessly (and worrying you needlessly in the process!) You say that you've moved, but perhaps you can still get some phone or email advice from your AN surgeon, or get a recommendation on who to see locally for a consult?

Anyway, the most important thing to say is CONGRATS on expecting your first child!  :)

Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 09:50:54 am »
Good advice, Carrie - wouldn't that relieve anxiety all around if the AN doctor had some input!!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

JulieW4

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 11:34:31 pm »
Socks,

I just had to reply.  I can't answer your question about pregnancy after AN surgery since my AN was discovered after having children.  But as a childbirth educator who has taught for 17 years I can comment on your concerns so far.  Nausea is common, my first advice is to make sure you are drinking plenty of water, dehydration can cause headaches.  Also, please make sure you are eating well.  Frequent small meals which include a good source of protein can help with nausea.  Also, I would also talk to your AN doc about headaches and not jump to the assumption that c-section is the route to go.  Surgery may be necessary for you but a vaginal birth for most woman is safer for you and the baby.  Please feel free to pm me about any questions concerning your pregnancy.  Pregnancy, birth and babies are my passion so I am willing to address any concerns that you have. 

Congratulations!!!  Being a mom is the Best!!!

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

Socks001

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 05:03:12 am »
Thanks everyone for your help.... and support...
I am trying to contact my AN doctor and we shall see....
I do agree that the doctor here is being a little over the top, she is concerned both because of the AN and my age.... but I think that realistically, when a cough or a sneeze and give me a headache that can last a day (not just a gentle ache but a blinding go to bed and vomit... not necessarily in that order.. headache)... I need to be realistic and realise that pushing is likely to be a problem.... and after baby arrives I want to be able to see it... not be so ill from a headache that I can't do anything for a few days...
I must admit that I am nervous but not quite as stressed at the Obgyn... but she is really very sweet.
Thanks again...