Author Topic: 10 days post-op from House  (Read 4708 times)

dlbenz

• Comcast Sportsnet
10 days post-op from House
« on: July 07, 2008, 08:56:22 pm »
Hey everyone.  I've been a bit quiet here as I have been focusing on recovering.  I had my Middle Foss operation with Br. Brackmann at House 10 days ago and full details on my operation/recovery are online at my TV station website.  I hope you can check this out:

http://community.myfoxdc.com/blogs/dlbenz

thanks to everyone who helped me here on this forum along the way.  I will keep you posted on my blog updates.
1.4 cm AN removed 6/26/2008 by Dr. Derald Brackmann (House Clinic) at St. Vincent's Hospital in LA.  10-15% hearing loss in left (AN) ear.  Very slight facial paralysis on left side of face.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 10 days post-op from House
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:28:32 pm »
DB:

Thanks for the update and congratulations on your successful surgery.  I read your informative post on the website you linked.  I'm sorry you've had some mild but annoying post-op complications.  Still, on balance, you seem to recovering well.  I wish you continued healing as you steadily regain normalcy. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 11:06:59 pm »
Dave -

we were just mentioning earlier today that we hadn't heard anything from you, and here you are  :)

Thanks for the update; very interesting blog.

Glad the docs were able to save your hearing; wonderful news!

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 06:59:08 am »
Just went through your site and found it very interesting, thanks for posting this.  Really happy you have been able to walk away with your hearing and I hope your healing continues lickity split!  Everyday is a gift that's why they call it "the present" and isn't it great to be able to receive a gift everyday--we are "special" people aren't we!  Hoping your gift today will be more improvement with balance, continued hearing, and facial nerve healing!  Raises a glass of whatever your poison is....Here's to tomorrow's unwrapping of your gift--cheers!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 10:33:37 am »
Hi DB-

Loved your blog and the pictures.  My, that's quite an incision you've got!  Is this middle fossa?  Even with the facial issues (which will hopefully resolve quickly!) you look really good!

I will bookmark your blog and check back to see how you're doing.  If you can post a picture here, I know everyone would love to see it - we seem to enjoy seeing each other's incisions, strange group that we are! :D

Once you're off the steroids, you should start sleeping better - that made a big difference with me.  Meanwhile, I hope your dizziness resolves - I am sure it is quite annoying.

Be well, and continue healing.

Debbi, from the "right" coast...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 02:23:23 pm »
Hey Dave

Glad to see everything was a success.  Loved the pictures.  The picture of your room reminded me of mine.  And I do hope you can listen to Baba O'Reilly in stereo again.  It's the ringtone on my cell phone -- and you're right -- that song and a few from Pink Floyd are the best stereo songs around.

Hope your recovery goes smoothly.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 01:36:01 am »
i agree with LADavid, seeing those pictures reminded of my experience with House too, glad to see it was a successful surgery and hope you continue to have a smooth recovery.  good blog too, this will definitely help raise awareness, understanding and education on AN.

chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

lori67

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 02:45:27 pm »
Dave -

You look great!  I'm so glad everything went well - and you got a poolside seat and a pedicure out of the deal!  You must have good insurance!   :D

Thanks for posting the link to your website (sorry, I just hate the word "blog").  It's nice to see these experiences from other people's eyes.

I think your Flock of Seagulls coif is stunning!  Hey, it worked for that guy, right?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

dlbenz

• Comcast Sportsnet
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 03:25:27 pm »
Thanks for all your comments.  just thought I'd let everyone know I posted a new blog (very extensive) a couple hours ago:

http://community.myfoxdc.com/blogs/dlbenz

Enjoy!

BTW: I slep through the whole night last night!  Yeah!
1.4 cm AN removed 6/26/2008 by Dr. Derald Brackmann (House Clinic) at St. Vincent's Hospital in LA.  10-15% hearing loss in left (AN) ear.  Very slight facial paralysis on left side of face.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 04:50:23 pm »
Dave -

thanks for the updated blog.

I have to admit though that I was a little disappointed that you didn't post pictures of yourself poolside with your newly pedicured feet  :D

Maybe next time?  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 01:42:29 pm »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 06:24:59 pm »
One of your pictures showed you wearing a transparent eye patch. Do you know who makes that or where to get one?

Thanks, Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 09:27:52 pm »
Jan:

Try this link: http://community.myfoxdc.com/photos/ShowPhoto.aspx?aid=35190&un=dlbenz&page_no=4.  Lots of photos.

Jim

Thanks Jim.  I did see these - and was amazed by Dave's scar - but didn't see any pedicure photos!  I was wondering what color polish he picked out for his toes  :D

Jan