Author Topic: Mask Fitting  (Read 2844 times)

shoegirl

Mask Fitting
« on: December 02, 2005, 11:38:07 am »
Hi!

I just thought I'd share, I had my mask fitting today.  It wasn't bad!  It was less wet and messy than I assumed it would be.  I thought that they would stretch the mask over my face and then I'd be done.  But you actually lay there for a little bit while it conforms to your face(maybe 15 mintues).   They make some adjustments and mark the mask and then you are done.

They said that the mask will shrink a little bit before treatment.  I didn't find it uncomfortable or feel claustrophobic.  However, I did ask for medication to take during my treatment and during my CT (you wear the mask for the CT) and MRI.  I felt it was better to take it then not  and need it during the treatment.

As CC suggested I wouldn't recommend wearing makeup or spend alot time on your hair.  The hardest part for me was staying still, I had a hard time relaxing - because I was worried about moving.  To have the fitting I had to lay on the table that is part of the Cyberknife - which was kind of neat to see everything ahead of time.  The doctor who did the fitting was so nice and made sure I was okay and kept talking to me - which was really nice.

I don't know if this will help anyone but I just thought I would share.

Thanks! Suzanne

left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

CC

• My homepage!
Re: Mask Fitting
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 11:57:36 am »
Suzanne

Amen to having to lie still.  I think that's the hardest part.  I hope no one thinks I'm weird but we took my mask and I've turned it into a work of art (well I guess more an artefact).  My mask was bright blue and I've mounted it in a black box with black backgroud.  Everyone who sees it comments on it and asks who the artist is.  I tell them it's Larry at Stanford.  They look strangely at me and ask where the Stanford gallery is!  My daughter who is studying to be a film maker has also featured "the mask" in her latest film - it's about the frailty of the human condition.  I swear The Mask is getting more exposure than Nicole Kidman! 

CC
CC
3cm AN
CK Oct 05
with Dr Chang at Stanford

shoegirl

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 09:24:42 pm »
CC,

Too funny!  They told me I could keep the mask - so I will take it when I am done.  My son would probably like it - thought maybe he could paper mache it!   :D  Or maybe I will.  Or I could save it for halloween!  Or you could use it as a spaghetti strainer! LOL fun stuff.

I like your idea - turn it into a piece of art that honors what we have gone through.

Take care! Suzanne

left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005

SuzeAN

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 10:10:03 pm »
SPAGHETTI STRAINER THAT'S FUNNY!!  You know I had to take a flight in from Las Vegas for CK at Barrows, when I was done they said I could take the mask...I almost did then realized I was going to have to go thru security with this thing at the airport.....and I didn't have another bag to carry it in...soooo it had to be left behind...at that point I didn't want to take a chance at me being left behind at airport security!

SUZE
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05

okiesandy

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 01:16:20 pm »
I had my mask made two days ago and that part was great. Like a nice warm facial. My husband laughed because they pulled the nose out to a long point. Interesting looking thing. I did however get very panic stricken when I had to ware it in the CT machine. That was 10 minutes and had it been any longer I would have been out of there. Now, it will be interesting to see if I can stand it for and hour and a half. They had me so medicated I would have thought I would not have cared. One good thing I did not have the mask for the MRI and usually I am anxious about the MRI machine. I dozed through that.

I don't know what I will do with the mask when I am finished maybe use it for a clothes hook the nose is long enough.
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

shoegirl

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 11:38:21 pm »
Hi! Sandy,

How did your meeting with the Neurosurgeon go?  Don't forget to take some music or a book on CD with you to take your mind off of things.   Your first treatment will probably be the longest, and then the following days should be alittle shorter.  Just because until they run the first treatment they aren't really sure how long it will take - at least that was my experience.  Day 2 and 3 - I was done in just about an hour.  Are you going for 5 days or did they decide on 3?

Good luck with everything! Please let me know how you do!  I am sending all good wishes your way!

Take care! Suzanne

Happy New Year!
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005