Author Topic: Chromosome 22 new research  (Read 1535 times)

cynthianz

Chromosome 22 new research
« on: July 30, 2008, 07:31:33 pm »
Hello All.  Just wondering if any of your docs/neurologists have discussed more about chromosome 22 mutations - which is part of the AN experience?   Came across this bit today and just wondering. 
http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/technology/4839697

It is now about 5 weeks post-surgery for me.  I am home and "getting better every day" as my son says.  Craving to drive.  Apparantly it's a 6-12 month wait in NZ after any skull/brain surgery b/c of chances of epilepsy?  Anyone have this complication or explanation?????.  My Neuro follow up is in 2 weeks and I'm going to be primed and ready to get that doc's note to drive. 
3.3cmX3.2cmX3.2cm solid and cystic AN left. Diagnosed 20 May 2008.
TranslabSurgery 19 June, 2008.  Auckland, NZ.  Will lose all left hearing, Surgeons Christopher Furneaux and Michele Neefe

Psalm 121

Dan

• Dan in Germany
Re: Chromosome 22 new research
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 01:11:47 am »
Here in Germany there is also a law against driving after brain surgery but for only three months.  With Drs tests and okay though you can drive sooner.  I went straight from the hosp. into rehab and you have to see a psychiatrist during treatment.  He asked if anything was bothering me and I told him that I wanted to start driving again.  He then gave me a reflex test (it was about 20 min. long, computer program with hand, feet, eye, and sound coordination).  He then asked alot of questions I think to find out if I was depressed, and then wrote in my patient files that I could drive again.  I think this was in the 4th week after surgery.  Two days later my wife came to visit and I drove home 2 hours and only had problems with my dry eye.  The dry eye was my only problem until it got better, the sunshine or night driving in the rain bothered my eye alot.
Wish you alot of luck and hope you can start driving again soon.

Dan in Germany 
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 05:59:13 am »
Cynthia,

I was never told about epilepsy chances being greater following microsurgery so I'm sure there must be something the doctors have seen with a surgery of this type and are being extra cautious.  However, I did not get back to driving long distance until around the one-year mark.  The "multitasking" that comes with driving would raise the fatigue levels for me.  I have found after my second surgery the fatigue, problems multitasking, oscillopsia are all but gone and driving long distance certainly is not an issue anymoe.  I do find night driving is not my strong suit, not sure why though so I don't venture out if I don't have to.  Glad you posted and that you are recovering everyday.  I miss your country!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:15:51 am »
Hi Cynthia,
  I've heard that the risk of seisure is higher for a while after brain surgery.  But my guess is that really applies for more invasive procedures to the brain, rather than AN surgery which is really just outside the brain.  Some AN procedures do retract or move aside a portion of the brain to gain access to the AN, but that is probably not as injurious to the brain as a procedure that actually cuts into the brain, disturbing electrical activity.  The only restriction I've heard about as far as driving after AN treatment is related to disturbances to balance and vestibular retraining.  Once a person has regained basic balance and can handle the rapid head swiveling needed during driving without loss of orientation, you're good to go.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 07:36:46 am »
While I was in the hospital (UH Cleveland) I was asked to participate in a study that is looking at genetic markers for AN's and similar tumors.  I said yes, of course, and they took blood and a sample of my tumor.  I think I still owe them some spit.  Anyway, it will be interesting to see their results.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.