Author Topic: Hot Air Balloon Ride  (Read 1740 times)

ennayram

Hot Air Balloon Ride
« on: July 25, 2008, 08:09:30 pm »
Hi All!

This is a very trivial question, but I would greatly appreciate people's input: Do you think it would be okay for me to take a hot air balloon ride?
I had Translab about 5 years ago. Everything is fine except for a continually blocked Eustachian tube which gives me a "fullness" in my head feeling when it is going to rain or there is some other barometric pressure change. My balance is very good.

Thanks for your advice, opinions, etc.!

MaryAnne

Patch

Re: Hot Air Balloon Ride
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 08:56:38 pm »
I wish I could give you some advise. Thee are peole here that have a wealth of information that i'm sure will answer your question. I on the other hand am at my 1 year post radiation, just had MRI today and will get results Tuesday. I hope all is well for you. I would like to know if flying is good for me. any suggestions.
Radiation 7/07 for 17mm AN, Had my 2 year MRI 07/09, An now 13mm.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 09:05:27 pm »
Balloon ride sounds like a gas! ;)  ::) ;D

I think you should actually ask your neuro doctor. I know airplanes are kosher as the cabin is pressurized. The basket under the hot air that you ride in -is not pressurized...

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 11:41:50 pm »
How high do they go? My impression is that for fun rides, as opposed to competitive balloon racing or something, they typically don't go that high, and you wouldn't experience that much change in pressure. Have you driven in mountain areas before?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 08:30:25 am »
Hi, MaryAnne:

I doubt this would be a problem but frankly, you really should consult with your doctor for a credible answer.  A phone call would do it, I'm sure.  I have a feeling that you'll be fine taking a hot-air balloon ride and I wish I was going with you!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 09:07:22 am »
Well if you get into trouble flying- you could always ask "Scotty" (AKA Jim Scott our treky) to beam you up! ;) :D ;D

I think an ANA balloon ride at our next symposium would be an excellent idea! We could call in the “getting high basket case of AN’ers trip�.

Sorry a little in-house inside humor  ;D ;)… as we just have to laugh at our wild acoustic neuroma journeys.

The only drugs I actually do is my morning coffee (caffeine) and the occasional botox (ok once) for facial synkinesis.

Truth is I am jealous and would LOVE to go on a hot air balloon ride. But if I was to go I would check with one of my loveable and respectable NERDS (Neuroscience Educated Research Doctorates) – first. :D ;D

Very very cool. 8)

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 10:03:59 am »
P.S.  "If" you go- I would love it if you posted a photo  -of you in the basket and of "the view" below too.

SO cool 8) I want to go...

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 06:26:00 am »
MaryAnne,

I absolutely love hot air balloons!  I was afraid I would have to give up my "flying" because of my translab three years ao.  Not true.  My balance is way off and I get dizzy very quickly.  I went up about a year ago and it was once again an awesome experience.  Check withyour doctor before you fly, but I would encourage you to go. I am going again to celebrate my ANniversary in a couple of days, weather permitting.  Enjoy your ride!  The sites and sounds are breathtaking.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

satman

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 10:56:07 am »
I say "go for it" i would but i usually break all the rules,you only live once.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !