Author Topic: Do you attend local support group meetings?  (Read 3727 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Do you attend local support group meetings?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 07:15:12 am »
Count me in!  I'll drag my husband along since I've always wanted him to see Chicago, one of my favorite cities.
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 10:15:13 pm »
Will definitely count you in Marci - and your husband.

I predict a great time will be had by all  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 06:05:55 am »
Hi all,

To find out if there is a local support group in your area, this link will let you know:

http://www.anausa.org/local_groups.html

There is a schedule there as well for upcoming ANA support group meetings.  Or contact the ANA office directly for add'l info.

As  one that has attended the Metro Boston ANA Support group meetings on numerous occassions (average attendance usually over 30 people), I have never noticed our's to be a "pity party" and have found them to be highly informative.  We have had guest speakers, the "meet/greet" meetings and have always had lively discussions.  I know each location may have a "different" feel to them, so please take the opportunity to check one out (if available in your area) and then you can decide if it's for you or not. I commend all those that volunteer their time to be ANA Support group leaders as it takes a bit of time and energy to organize meetings, guest speakers, etc.

I will continue to attend our local meetings.... they have brought comfort, to me, by being able to sit with others that do, in fact, walk a mile in our shoes when sometimes, others in our lives, just don't understand.  It's also sometimes nice to be able to meet those, face to face, to get a first-hand "picture" of what this AN journey can be like.

Just my 2 cents.
Phyl
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:08:09 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pembo

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 07:42:49 am »
Marci, they were looking for a support group leader for NE Ohio, are you interested? I attended one meeting about 4 months after surgery. It was about an hour away and it ended up being the organizer and one other lady. Both were MUCH older than I, enough to be my grandmother, and had their surgeries many years ago. The speaker explained all about AN's, info we already knew. Needless to say I didn't make an effort to ever go back. I think it would be great to have an active group.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 07:54:24 am »
I would definitely be interested in that.  What would my first step be?
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 10:04:44 am »
Marci -

contact the ANA - specifically Judy Vitucci, Executive Director or Melanie Hutchins who's in charge of the local groups.

Melanie's email address is localgroups@anausa.org

Jan

BTW - I think you would make a great group leader!
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Glenda

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 01:41:54 pm »

I was diagnosed in Jan 08 and attended a support group meeting in April 08.  I thoroughly enjoyed going.  At the time I was really scared about what I was facing and it really helped me to meet people who as Phyl said had "walked a mile in my shoes".  I got alot of information from people who had different types of treatment as well as those who were in "Watch and Wait".  I also met new friends and one in particular that I keep in touch with, who is on this forum,  Sandra aka Goinbatty.  Thanks Sandra for all your support!  I would highly recommend checking your support group out or starting one if one is not available.  My husband also attended with me and it gave him a better understanding of what I am facing, which he was grateful for.  The group was very uplifting, defininately not a pity party.  As I was a newby at the time I attended, I cannot express how helpful it was to me.

Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness