Author Topic: eye closing while eating  (Read 5041 times)

Karen

eye closing while eating
« on: August 24, 2008, 06:38:33 pm »
Do any of you that have had the 12/7 done have trouble with your eye closing while you are chewing?  It's really annoying and the eye drops or ointment squeezes out                  when my eye closes.  Anyone else have that trouble?  What do you do about it?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

CROOKEDSMILE

Re: eye closing while eating
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:13:31 am »
Hi Karen,
My guess would be that it is synkinesis and therapy can help with this if you can see a neuromuscular retraining therapist. Sometimes the eye will close when eating, smiling, etc. It is from the nerve attaching to the wrong muscles during recovery but the nervous system has plasticity meaning that it is in a changing state all the time and can be "retrained" to do the proper movements BUT it takes PATIENCE and WORK on your part. Trust me.......I go once a month to a therapist for my synkinesis and I do my exercises 3 times a day 60 minute sessions. It does work. I have seen improvement. How is your eye doing in regards to blinking? Better I hope. Take care and get in therapy as soon as possible.
Angie

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 02:33:06 pm »
WOW Angie that is like a full time job. I was thinking of returning to work but how could I if I needed to do that? There would not be enough hours in a day, if I wanted to sleep.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 02:50:46 pm »
Hi Michelle,
The full 60  minutes isn't all exercises.........it is heat, facial massage, stretching and exercises. She also has me doing visual imagery things to reteach the muscles how to act right! I don't work and I have help with my 2 kiddos so I take my time and find it very relaxing. I usually light candles and play meditation music, etc. etc. Yeah..... a little overkill but it makes me feel like I'm taking a very active role in the recovery process and when my time is up for nerve recovery then I can feel that I did everything in my power to get to the best level possible.
Angie

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 03:07:47 pm »
That is amazing Angie!!! My facial therapist wants me to have more movement before I start any exercises, so I just heat my ricy bag and massage right now. Come on tingles!!! I can't wait to get started. How much movemnt do you have? I can see you sitting there doing your face stuff and your kids all interested sounds cute. Take care.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.