Author Topic: HELP  (Read 2999 times)

bern

HELP
« on: August 16, 2008, 02:01:40 pm »
I had gamma knife on July 28th. I vomit everyday. Is this normal?

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 03:23:27 pm »
Hi,
I didn't have GK, but have you called your doctor??
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 03:25:03 pm »
Bern:

I'm not a doctor and didn't undergo the GammaKnife treatment but common sense tells me that vomiting daily for almost three weeks following the GK isn't exactly normal.  I would contact your doctor ASAP.  This needs to be addressed immediately.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

bern

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 03:40:38 pm »
I called when it started. They told me they would call back with an answer but they didn't. I went on vacation this week and it continued and worsened. I will call my doctor.  Could something really wroing be going on?  I am scared!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 03:46:27 pm »
Try not to panic.  Just take a deep breath and call the doctor.  Ask to speak to whoever is on call.  You can always go to the ER.  Are you able to keep anything down?  I'm thinking of those electrolyte laden drinks that will keep you from getting dehydrated.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

bern

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 04:06:41 pm »
It doesn't matter if I eat or not. I am able to keep some meals down and at times I can't.  I will try the electolyte drinks.  thanks

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 05:46:42 pm »
Vomiting is not listed as a common side effect of radiation treatment, but I doubt you are the first to have it, either. There are some common causes of vomiting that are not serious problems; for instance some types of migraine can have this effect. I would not panic or worry needlessly about it, but I would get in contact with a doctor soon, just to be sure it is nothing serious. You may also want to see about some form of treatment for it, since losing your food every day creates obvious nutrition issues.

Hope you feel better soon.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

mk

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 05:53:15 pm »
Having some nausea and vomiting in the first few days after GK can be expected, at least I was told so, although I never had them. But my sense is that you should be way past that now. I would try to reach the radiation oncologist and report this, to be on the safe side. I am not sure that going to the ER or seeing another doctor would help a lot, since they are not usually familiar with the procedure. You might also want to ask the opinion of the doctors in the Cyberknife forum, they respond very quickly and they are very knowledgeable with GK as well.
Keep us posted, I hope this will resolve soon.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 05:55:35 pm »
You might also want to ask the opinion of the doctors in the Cyberknife forum, they respond very quickly and they are very knowledgeable with GK as well.

That is such a good idea, I am posting the link: http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 08:50:23 pm »
bern -

as others have said, this doesn't sound like a common side-effect - at least not for this length of time.

I echo everyone else; please call your doctor.

Keep us updated.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways