Author Topic: Expectations and Healing after Surgery  (Read 5832 times)

Kate B

• AN World
Expectations and Healing after Surgery
« on: January 30, 2008, 06:02:49 am »
Hi all,

Oftentimes, the expectations we set for our surgery help us prepare for the recovery time afterword. I think the *term* brain surgery can be frightening. It doesn't have to be. Know that after any treatment you will be changed. You have just been through a diagnosis of a brain tumor and treated it.

My advice is to go into the surgery knowing that it is major surgery, that you will need to focus on your recovery, and that life will go on.  Based on data, I knew I had a high probable outcome relative to maintaining my facial nerve, and a 70% chance of hearing retention.  I was hopeful and realistic about the potential outcomes.

My advice is to set goals for recovery and make the post operative time a focus on resuming your life.  After surgery, I worked through balance issues by setting goals. They told me I had lost 37% of my balance prior to surgery, so my other side seemed to have compensated and made the balance easier to regain. My surgery was Thursday and by Sunday I made it my goal to walk around the hospital floor 3 times per hour.  My husband needed to hold on to my elbow that day, but by Monday I wanted to do it without his help. At Seton Hall, they referred to us as the couple where you couldn't tell which one had the surgery:)   

There were a couple of times I felt off balance during recovery.  Like many on this listserv, it seemed to be at night.  Like one night I woke up in the middle of the night for a drink of water and while trying to walk around the dog,I walked into the furniture.  Or the time I just finished telling the hair stylist that I was doing great and she asked me to stand up for a moment to sweep all the clippings and I stood up and veered into the wall.  We both laughed....but truly those are the extremes and happened during the first five weeks after my surgery. 
      I NEVER had a headache with the Middle Fossa approach. My biggest side effects the first five weeks were fatigue ( I took naps daily for the first few weeks) and my right eye did not tear at first.  However, it was moist enough that I didn't need daily drops.  I went to an opthamologist in Hinsdale that works with AN's. He, too, said that my eye closed correctly and was okay.  He said sometimes the lack of tears might last for 3 month to a year to..... My tears did return right after New Years and my operation was in November.
     Keep in mind the uniqueness of the experience for each individual.  Know that your outcome and experience will be as varied as the darn tumors themselves.  But go in with an expectation that you will recover and move on.  Soon you will be on the other side of the mountain coaching others. 
     There was a movie called, Pay It Forward with Kevin Spacey and Helen Hunt.  Its theme was that the way to pay someone back for good fortune is to "pay it forward".

This is my hope for you as you begin and journey along the AN path. 

How did others go about setting expectation levels?  How did that help you heal afterword? Please share your experiences.
Kindest Regards,
Kate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 10:22:46 am by Kate Besserman »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

lori67

Re: Expectations and Healing after Surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 10:36:03 am »
My doctor told me that he would make sure it was the "Best, Worst Day of my Life".  Basically, he knew this was probably the worst thing I've had to deal with and he was going to make sure it was the best it could be, under the circumstances.  I went in expecting the worst, and now that it's all said and done, I can honestly say this wasn't the worst thing I've had to deal with in my life.  Not that I'd want to do it again, mind you, but it really wasn't as horrible as I had expected.  That was a pleasant surprise!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 09:30:46 pm »
Thanks Kate!   A good topic that can hopefully console someone at a scary time.  I did exactly what the doctor's reccomend you don't do...I scoured the internet and this site for information, and talked to a lot of people.  For me, somone who likes a lot of information, that was the best way to approach it.  Looking back, I think what I was doing was creating a mental bell curve....took note of sizes and symptoms and outcomes, and thought to myself...OK, if this is the bell curve, this is the most probable outcome, and I can deal with that...and if it goes to this side of the bell curve (the more symptomatic side) I'm educated enough to know what's going on so that I can deal with it.  If it weren't for that, my CSF leak probably would of gone a few more days before I knew something was wrong...but I learned what to expect from here, not from my doctors, and I knew instantly what it was and was able to get up and get it fixed.  I felt good and confident and prepared.  My doctor said then that I had a great attitude about it, and still says it now.  I know this approach won't work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Also know that even though they're working with nerves, they're not sensory nerves, and really, by day two I had myself weaned off of most of the narcotics.  There's not a lot of pain involved, unless you get the headaches, and although my eyes were spinning and I couldn't walk, the week I was in for the CSF leak was much worse than the original surgery. 

A year and a half out and I'm finally feeling really good.  Another thing I was told, and so I didn't beat myself up too much for taking so long to recover.  I knew it would.  I was talking to someone today about what I went through, and I said "the really cool thing is that I am real good at saying no now", and she goes, "wow, you get to say no and have no guilt about it? That's so cool!".  I think she was envious!   :) 

Kathleen
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 04:21:45 pm »
Hi, Kate:

I didn't have a lot of time to speculate about my AN because it was large (4.5 cm) and pressing on my brainstem when I was finally diagnosed.  I jumped on the internet and found a lot of information, including this great website, but I wasn't scared, just annoyed, which is my usual reaction to medical problems as I've had so few of them over the years. My wife was a 'rock' during the whole experience.  We were fortunate to find a very compassionate neurosurgeon with decades of AN experience to perform the surgery.  While undergoing pre-op tests (a CT scan) an unidentified 'mass' was found on my liver.  No one said the word cancer, but the neurosurgeon immediately canceled my surgery (scheduled for 10 days later).  I was referred to a very pleasant oncologist.  He ordered a liver biopsy.  That was interesting.  We demanded the biopsy results be conveyed to us as soon as they were known.  That evening I received a phone call from the oncologist.  He was elated to inform me that the biopsy showed a non-cancerous hemangioma which required no treatment, as I was asymptomatic.  The AN surgery was quickly rescheduled and, frankly it looked a bit less intimidating from that point on.  Much later, my wife admitted that the oncologist had told her (privately) that if the liver 'mass' turned out to be cancerous, I would have less than six months to live.  She never mentioned it during that time.  What a girl.

I went into the surgery with the full intention of coming through this experience 'intact' and getting back to my normal life as quickly as possible.  I had an excellent surgeon, was in (otherwise) good health and I fully expected to do well.  I did.  I had few complications post-op and was walking around the hospital floor by the fourth day, eager to go home.  After proving to the PT nurse that I could maneuver quite well, I was discharged by noon on the fifth day following my surgery.  I insisted we stop at my favorite diner where I could eat a stack of pancakes with my family (wife and adult son).  Delicious!  Once home, I took it easy and slept a lot the first few days, which is typical. Within a week, a visiting PT nurse came by and gave me some balance exercises to practice.  I did them religiously - and my balance improved.  After three visits and 'practice' sessions, she told me I was doing so well I didn't need her - but to keep practicing.  I did, but I also began walking around a nearby park with my wife a few times a week, about two miles per walk, which also helped my balance.  Within a month from my discharge, I was driving (with my doctor's permission) and feeling great.  It was good to 'be back'.

Three months later, I began scheduled FSR treatments, which lasted for 26 sessions.  I had no problems during that time and at my one-year surgery 'anniversary', my MRI showed tumor shrinkage and necrosis.  I maintained a very positive attitude throughout both my surgery and radiation process.  I wanted to get 'back to normal' as quickly as possible.  I simply wouldn't accept anything less.  Now, I fully realize that I was very fortunate in not having any serious post-op complications and that my experience may not reflect the average AN patient.  My surgeon said I was in the top five percent of any AN surgical patient he had ever operated on, in terms of my recovery, which was rapid.  Ultimately, I give the credit for my recovery to God but I maintain that my own positive attitude certainly helped.  I was not going to allow this 'AN thing' to ruin my rather pleasant life.   

Admittedly, almost two years out (of surgery) I feel much better than I did two months out, so time certainly does heal.  I also admit that had I experienced any of the severe post-op problems some AN patients do, I have no idea how well I would have handled that situation.  I also freely admit that positive thinking and setting high expectations isn't a guarantee that all will go smoothly or healing occur rapidly.  However, setting high expectations and having a determination to get well certainly didn't do me any harm, either.  I recommend it to anyone facing an acoustic neuroma diagnosis and dealing with the fears and concerns we all go through at that time.

Thanks for the opportunity to offer my perspective based on my experience.  I hope it edifies.   :)

Jim
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 04:05:48 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 05:06:28 pm »
Jim~
I totally agree with what you wrote 100%!!  While I, too, give all of the credit to God -- I believe that having a good attitude plays a HUGE part in recovery.  Unlike you, I did have a LOT of stuff go wrong, but through it all, I kept a good & ""can do" attitude.  Even today (12 years later), I don't even think twice about my face looking funny, the fact that I am deaf in one ear, or the fact that I don't have good balance.  I have a life to live -- and a darn good one -- and a family to enjoy.  I try to make the most of EVERY day that God has blessed me with!!
Cheers!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 07:45:41 am »
There seem to be many people recuperating from surgery that may want to add to this thread for others.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 06:47:36 am »
Hi Kate,
As you know, I'm just over 3 weeks post op and doing fine.  My tumor was on the large side (3x4cm) and was removed via retrosigmoid because I had no hearing loss prior to surgery and they hoped to preserve my hearing nerve.  They went in with the intension of debulking the tumor and then going back with some kind of radiation but once they got in there, the tumor came easily off the facial nerve and the hearing nerve.  They had to work pretty hard to get it off the trigeminal nerve but they did get it all!  Surgery was about 5 hours.  I had surgery on a Tuesday and was home on Thursday.  I have had no major complications and am still healing.  I have numbness on the right side of my face but it is getting better albeit at a glacial pace.  I have some minor hearing loss which may return over time.  I have no pain, no headaches (mostly),  mild vertigo and the usual fatigue. Sleeping has been tricky--in the beginning it was hard to find a comfortable position--but now I'm having more good nights than bad nights.  I've had some post-op depression but it is improving and I'm re-visiting my therapist.  I am a runner so lack of activity has been hard, but, on the first day home (with assistance) I walked to the mailbox and back.  I have added to that distance almost daily and now am walking without assistance my short running loop which is about 3 miles.  I am learning how important it is to have patience . As someone who is accustomed to taking care of others, I have learned how to let go of that and let others take care of me. I am grateful for excellent doctors, devoted family and friends, and for this forum.  If all goes well, I will be back at work on September 15, but will work up to that slowly by going into the office for an hour or so a day, and building from there.  I'm sure I'll have a total recovery but I promise myself I will never forget this experience--I have learned so much about myself and others and the fragility of life.  These are important lessons.
Marci

3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 03:19:59 am »
Kate
I was pretty much relaxed going in, the staff was wonderful, was just worried about waking up but as you can see Im up, cant sleep and the suns almost up lol

Take care
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 09:52:45 am »
Jim , you have done great for having a large tumour removed, did you have facial palasy afterwards,
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Jim Scott

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 02:11:47 pm »
Jim - you have done great for having a large tumour removed, did you have facial palsy afterwards?

No.  I had no facial paralysis at all. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 03:41:06 pm »
thats pretty amazing jim for a tumour that size, having said that there is another lady in the uk who had a 6cm AN and had no facial palsy.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Jim Scott

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 12:12:01 pm »
thats pretty amazing jim for a tumour that size, having said that there is another lady in the uk who had a 6cm AN and had no facial palsy.

While 'size matters', its the location of the tumor that can cause the facial and other problems, both pre and post operative.  I had few symptoms other than a gradual but steady loss of hearing in the affected ear.  Once my symptoms; loss of appetite, fatigue and imbalance, manifested themselves, they grew progressively worse in a relatively short period of time.  My doctor eventually sent me for an MRI and it showed the AN was pressing hard on my brainstem.  Surgery was imperative.  I had retrosigmoid approach surgery then FSR to destroy the remaining tumor.  As my signature says: "so far, so good". 

My AN case is just one of many that turned out rather well, all things considered.   However, there are so many variables involved that its easy to see why the range of outcomes, whether the patient has surgery or radiation, are so varied.  Still, I know I was fortunate to have such a large tumor and not suffer facial paralysis or other complications.  I believe it was an answer to much prayer.  I now pray for others facing surgery or radiation or coping with some of the frustrating negative consequences of having an acoustic neuroma or having it removed or radiated.  I also try to use my story to encourage others facing an acoustic neuroma diagnosis. 

Jim