Author Topic: post of question  (Read 1433 times)

tenai98

post of question
« on: August 19, 2008, 05:34:06 am »
If I have AN ( will be finding out this week the results of MRI) how long does one have to wait to fly if surgery is chosen?  I see by reading some posting that the AN can grow a little while waiting for surgery.  I have a six week vacation coming up in Mexico.  I fly out Jan 3 and return feb 14/08...Can one fly if radiation is chosen?? 

14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: post of question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:14:05 am »
Hello tenai98,
  Hopefully your MRI will be negative for AN.  But to answer some of your guestions, if you pick surgery as an AN treatment, the wait is usually dependent on the schedules of the Skull Base Surgery team.  The skills of these highly trained people are in demand, and trying to assemble several of them for the same time can take a while.  It's not uncommon to take 2 or 3 months between diagnosis and surgery.  This is usually OK since AN is almost always slow growing (averag 2m/year).  And it's not unusual for the schedule to slip a week or so if emergency cases require the surgeon's skills.  For really large tumors that may be pushing on critical brain structures, teams are more likely to schedule the patient sooner for surgery.  On the flying guestion, there have been a few threads on this forum about that.  There's one at http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6524.0
  I see you know about the surgical or radiosurgical options.  And the third option is "watch and wait" to see if the AN is growing, and how fast.  The watch and wait option can give you more time to consider all your options, and is reasonable unless you have a large AN that may be compromising brain structures.
  Again, hopefully you don't have AN.  But if you do, you'll find a lot of information and patient experiences on this forum.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 12:54:32 pm »
tenai98:

Airplane cabins are pressurized so flying should not be an issue pre or post surgery.  Many surgical AN patients fly to and from their surgery site with no complications.  To my knowledge, radiation treatments should not prevent you from flying.  To be realistic, these are questions you should ask your doctor to get a medically credible answer that you can trust. 

Frankly, I hope your MRI doesn't show that you have an acoustic neuroma - making these issues moot.  Let us know.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 01:22:12 pm »
tenai98~
WOW!!  SIX weeks of vacation in Mexico - can I come?  I'll even take care of you - it's gotta be easier than 3 little curly girlies!!   ;D

I hope that you don't have a tumor, but unless it is really big, you should be able to wait until after your surgery.  Of course, I am no doctor...I'd definitely go with their recommendation!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!