Author Topic: Singing makes my face twitch  (Read 8978 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Singing makes my face twitch
« on: August 20, 2008, 09:09:46 am »
Ok, so I've now tried a couple of times to sing (classically trained) and each time my mouth starts to twitch and the AN side of my face (still numb and tingling) feels very heavy and stretched. This doesn't happen when I speak because when you sing, you pay close attention to diction (I tried Italian first, it's the easiest).  Also, because the lips, tongue and teeth play such an important role in singing I'm probably working very hard to compensate and that's causing stress.  I guess I'll just continue to hum and hope that if the numbness subsides the other problems will as well.  Good thing this is not my day job but it's still my great joy.  Thanks for letting me whine about something so trivial....
Marci (humming and not twitching)
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Singing makes my face twitch
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 09:20:19 am »
Marci,
  For a few months after AN treatment I couldn't whistle on key.  Having the facial nerve traumatized takes a while to recover.  At first I couldn't whistle at all, then after a while I could whistle but couldn't hit all the notes, and now whistling is back to about 95%.  So my guess is that your singing may go through something similar.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 09:21:30 am »
Hi Marci:  I wouldn't consider this trivial.   Singing is obviously your passion (& classical no less!). 

You're only about 1 month post op,  healing continues.

Keep humming,  singing won't be far behind ! !

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 12:28:26 pm »
Marci slow and steady wins the race. Patience... ouch did you throw your shoe at me? I would love to hear you sing I am sure it is beautiful, rest and heal now, you have the rest of your life to sing.
{{{{{{Healing vibes}}}}}}
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

lori67

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 12:44:29 pm »
Marci -

If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure your singing, with the associated twitching and stretching, is still 100% better than mine will ever be!   :D  And I can't hum or whistle very well either.

The only thing people ask me to sing is "Far, far away".  I'm sure you'll be back to your old singing self before too long.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 12:46:07 pm »
Michelle,
I didn't throw my shoe but it's not a bad idea... :o

Once my voice is back I'll create a little sound file (I might need Steve's help with that one) and post it.  Hope you are doing well today.  My numb face has now turned red, and not from embarrassment!  What next? Wait, I shouldn't ask that question, should I?

Lori,
You are so very funny.  Whether you can sing (or twitch or stretch) is irrelevant.  You made me laugh; a far more valuable attribute.

Thanks,
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 01:13:40 pm »
I am in the same singing club as Lori - far, far, very far away...   People would gladly pay me NOT to sing!

However, I would LOVE to hear you sing, Marci - so post that file when you are "in good voice."

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 01:27:51 pm »
Marci:

I regret that I cannot offer a remedy for your difficulty in singing but I'm pretty sure that as you heal, these issues will subside.  As one who can barely carry a tune in a basket I appreciate those blessed with that particular talent (singing) so I can understand your frustration.  Whether or not you have patience, your body/face will heal in it's own good time so the best course is probably one of slightly lowered expectations and an expanded time frame for healing and regaining prior functions (like singing arias).  Easier said than done, I know, but easier on the psyche.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 01:40:42 pm »
I know Jim, it's that patience thing again.  By the time I do recover I am going to be the most Zen-like person in the greater Cleveland area.  As life lessons go, this can only be a good thing.
Ciao,
Marci

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 03:35:00 pm »
Marci that would be great to hear your voice - rest up.
Looking forward to that.
Michelle  :D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.