Author Topic: SBI and what is endoscpic surgery?  (Read 5294 times)

jerseygirl

Re: SBI and what is endoscpic surgery?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 07:09:20 pm »
Hrissy,

First, let me say that Dr. Samii from Germany is extremely experienced, so if he wants to take your case - that is already very good. Another thing comes to mind is what the cost of the surgery includes. Here in the US if you have any complications, it's extra, so the surgery can quickly become exraordinarily expensive. I had lots of complications after my first surgery 20 years ago and believe it or not that surgery cost more! What I am saying is if the German doctor will handle any complications free of charge, the overall surgery cost is actually less even if it is more expensive at the outstart.

I had a consultation with Dr. Jho and the prognosis was not good for my facial nerve. His approach is retromastoid, right behind your ear and he relies on bone landmarks to insert an endoscope. In my case all the bone landmarks were destroyed in the first surgery, and , since he inserts an endoscope next to the facial nerve in order to preserve it, he cannot guarantee facial nerve preservation. Since he also did only one recurrence last year and was afraid of scar tissue like everybody else, I did not go with him. I don't know anything about Dr. Lindstrom although he is close to home. Endoscopes in the US  are more accepted for different kinds of brain tumors and ear conditions. He might do "endoscope assisted" AN removal, like some doctors, but not fully endoscopic AN removal like Dr. Shahinian or Dr. Jho.

I had old-fashioned suboccipital which is basically a widened retrosigmoid now. Part of the "hole" in the skull was closed with metal and part with my own trapezoid muscle. Dr. Shahinian drilled through the metal which caused no pain! As far as the cost goes, you would have to call or e-mail SBI and ask them directly.

I would call up all the offices and inquire about the costs of the surgery. Then I would simply compare. Don't forget about anesthesiologist fees and hospital fees.

Good luck!

Eve

Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.