Author Topic: headaches, oh my lord the headaches!  (Read 5033 times)

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
headaches, oh my lord the headaches!
« on: August 29, 2008, 10:24:21 pm »
Got my stiches out and ..... GOT TO WASH MY HAIR!!! (yeah, it was gross)

Got a question for you. Although I did talk to the doc this morning about my headaches and he is not concerned, is it typical to have headaches? I believe it is from my neck being so incredibly sore and tight. I couldn't get into my chirpractor today but will be able to see him next week. I have an appointment at my massage therapist next Wed (all approved by the doc), but was in so much pain today that my mom drove me to the mall and I got a short chair massage. That did help, although 10 min isn't going to do much. Was just looking for something to help get me through the holiday weekend. Headache did get better after the massage.

I've been sleeping on the recliner chair (less painful on my neck rather than laying flat in bed) and will do so again tonight with the heating pad close by I think.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to help loosen up the neck and upper back from the surgery?

And as a FYI - except for the 100 million people who were at the mall, it really wasn't any different from walking outside for me, which has been pretty good. I am seeing improvements daily on my balance issues. The loud noises really bothered me though, and I didn't look at the ice skaters skating around in a circle...oh no, not yet!

Cathy

Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Micky

Re: headaches, oh my lord the headaches!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 11:21:13 pm »
 Hey Dog Lover

(My experience only)

After my operation I had huge neck and back pain, also my right leg was sore and bruised from lying in the one position in surgery for nine hours, I saw a physiotherapist for massage and she suggested getting out allot more and walking, I didn’t really feel like doing this so soon after surgery but I found it helped with my pain and after a while as your body does, it got better. Not sure if you are SSD, I am and yes was very weird the first time I went out in public, now getting used to it and looking at a BAHA in the future. As for the headaches mine have now resided I feel they were from the swelling and muscle soreness, I wish you a speedy recovery

Mick 
3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 08:11:07 am »
Hi Cathy,
     Glad to hear you're out and about already.  My first time out I had a hard time with my vision, everything was blurry, I had to close my eyes while my daughter drove.  I still have this but not as bad.  I must say that I had headaches like you when I woke up in recovery, sore neck and a headache.  They wanted to give me morphine but I refused and asked for Tylenol instead.  I still have a sore neck when I go to bed and develop a headache, and when I get up in the morning.  As soon as I start moving around it subsides......They took extra special control of my whole back during surgery as I have very big problems with that and I must say I came out of surgery with just the neck pain....  I strongly think with time this will rectify.

Good to hear that all went well with your surgery.......Hoping your headaches will subside soon!!  Have a great weekend...
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 09:26:41 am »
Dog Lover -

no stitches and clean hair - from experience, I know that part of life is good  ;D

Sorry to hear about the headaches.  I didn't have them, but I did have neck pain associated with the way my head was bent for 7 1/2 hours of surgery.  I was prescribed Vicodin, but I don't like taking stuff like that, so I just stuck to Tylenol which did the trick for me.  My doc did mention that Tylenol doesn't work for some, so if it does nothing for you, you might want to try Alleve, Advil, or another OTC pain reliever.

Hope the headaches go away soon.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 11:12:51 am »
Hi Cathy-

Glad you are already up and about - but sorry about the headaches.  I still have a lot of problems with neck pain so have tried all kinds of things.  What has worked, to one degree or another for me:  massage, moist heat (hot compresses on my face and neck), advil, neck rollsand some yoga poses that stretch my neck and back.  As Jan mentioned, Tylenol works well for some people (not much in my case) but if it isn't working, try Aleve or ibuprofin.  And, when I have a really bad day, there is always Percoset!  :)

You will probably find that the sensitivity to noise will diminish somewhat.  For the first month or so, I was hypersensitive to noise in my "hearing" ear - some noises were actually painful.  Now, though, most noises are okay.  I'm not having any significant issues with SSD and don't even notice most of the time.  (Although I think I may still look into a Transear!)

Hope you get some relief from the pain.  Your body will heal faster if it is not fighting pain.

Debbi (also a dog lover!)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 11:58:36 am »
Debbie is correct when she says stretch the neck muscles, as this helps to relax the muscles. 

In the beginning I took ibuprofen only when I had a headache and this wasn't helping so I got on a 4-6 hour dose for about 5 days (be careful if you have stomach issues with this drug, eat before taking) and keeping a level of meds in me for those days really did the trick in getting rid of the daily headache. 

The neck stretches from yoga are great as they lengthen the muscles that have been contracted and assaulted by surgery.  I found lying on my stomach and turning my head to one side for a few minuts then the other side also did a good job of stretching the neck.  Massaging the suture area and neck is good too.  I did this a couple times a day.  Helps to break up any scar tissue that might develop.  Hydrotherapy ice/hot packs help too. 

There is no "one" cure and probably best to incorporate all three. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 05:52:39 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion. I have upgraded to ibuprophen, as tylenol wasn't really doing anything any more. I did get into a massage today, and it is better, but I like the idea of just staying on the ibuprophen to stay on a steady level. I did that with the nausea meds and it really made a difference. boy, I tell you - when I have a headach it's hard to do anything and the walks outside are much harder.

surprisingly riding in the car has progressed pretty fast. I don't even have to concentrate on certain things as we go (like stop signs, light signals, etc.) I've found that the past 2 days it gets easier and easier.

Yes, I have noticed that sounds REALLY bother me, which is a bit difficult as my dad is hard of hearing and they are staying with me at my house this next week. But, they are pretty darn nice and my son is coming over in a bit to help move a tv from the basement to the guest room where they'll stay, so things will get better.

I just keep telling myself, one day at a time. I think I have made really good progress...walking in the house is fairly easy now, don't have to hold onto anyone or the wall. Outside is getting easier, but when the sun is shining, it's more difficult.

cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 02:39:06 pm »
Cathy,

If you have found your headaches are from too much tension you might be interested in knowing the loss of balance and our eyes tax us and bring on tension.  Visual stimulation can bring on the headaches too, so do whatever you can to block out sun and try not to over-tax your eyes.  Sometimes just 5 minutes of eyes closed will keep tension-type headaches at by. 

For the hyperacusis, you can try ear plugs.  I use a musician's plug.  Had a mold made out of my ear canal and chose one of the three filters offered.  I picked the middle one as this blocks out background noise, but lets in enough so you still hear a conversation.  I had trouble in Home Depot and the grocery store when someone got on loud speaker.  I started out with the cheapy $5 swimmer's ear plug as it didn't back out like the foam ones do, but when I had impacted ear wax it was recommended by my ENT to have a musician's plug made.  I don't my plug as much anymore, thankfully my hyperacusis went by the wayside after my 2nd "ear assault".  Although, I will use it when I'm assaulted by many different loud sounds to keep me calm as my shoulders can attach to my ear lobes when I'm bombarded by sounds or too much visual stimulation. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 07:49:15 pm »
Hi Arushi,

thank you for the suggestion. I think that sounds like a great idea. I will definately look into that.

The massage really helped. Feel so much better today, have been taking the ibuprophen about every 6 hours and that seems to have helped, too. Made another step in the right direction. Walked several times outside today, and the last walk I did (with my mom) I didn't even hold onto her and it seemed much easier. We did about the equivalent of about 8 blocks.  :D Things get a bit better each day.  ;D

cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 07:02:31 am »
Hi Cathy,
I am 12 weeks post op and started having massages around 8 weeks and wish I had started sooner. It really has helped the sore neck and base of my skull  pain. I was taking tylenol #1 for the 8 weeks for the pain (every four hours) and after 2 massages I didn't need it on a regular basis. I am doing way too much right now because I am going back to work and need to take a tylenol now and then but nothing like before.  I am sure that my healing is coming along quicker because of massage, my 369 Omega oils, my vitiamin B complex and for once in my life I am being extra kind to me!
The only thing that I have said to my massage lady is no pressure over the bone flap area (she did it once and it killed for a couple of hours later) but the neck and base of my skull massage felt soooooooo good. I think the whole body massage helps to get the blood flowing (I think it has been good for my nerve regeneration too) and release all that medication that may have build up from surgery. Let us know how it helps you - oh and nice hot soaky baths are the best! Hmmmmm I think I will go and have one now before I go into work.
All the best!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 08:39:44 am »
Cathy~
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you have to be careful not to take too much ibuprophen because it tears up your stomach.  Anyone else want to chime in...am I right in this??  Just a precaution...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 08:55:43 am »
Hi Cathy,
Yes, I had the headaches as well, but they have subsided mostly.  K is right about the ibuprofen, long term it isn't good for you and does a number on your stomach, BUT, you've got to feel good in order to heal so it's a trade off. You may want to upgrade to something stronger.  By about the second week I was taking heavy meds at night only which helped me sleep.  You have to do this at your own pace. BTW, I used a heating pad on my neck and it was very helpful.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Cheryl R

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 09:08:01 am »
Yes, Ibuprofen and other NSAIDS can cause GI bleeding and usually with no symptoms until the bleeding starts.        Saw lots of GI bleeds in the hospital with no pain or other problems.         I know sometimes a dr tells you to take Nexium or some other similar med if taking NSAIDS for a period of time.
Actually I am not sure if they should be taken soon after AN surgery.           I know I didn't do any just because wasn't sure.                 Just used my Vicoden and not frequently.  The neck hurting at first was mostly why.
Cathy, did you ask Gantz if ibuprofen was ok to take?             
                                                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 10:55:13 am »
Yes, I was told by the fellow (Dr. Gantz was in Berlin, Germany) that as soon as I got home I could take ibuprophen. I have to admit that I toke this for about 2 days every 4-7 hours when I was awake (tried to take it more at 6 hrs). I am back to only taking it once or twice a day now, so much better improved. I was also told that I could see my chiropractor and a massage therapist as soon as the stiches were removed, just to tell them not to touch the incision, etc. Also, I normally take ibuprophen and not tylenol.

They prescribed tylenol with codine but I never filled it. That's all I needed was something else to upset my stomach! Didn't get any other pain meds. Tylenol is all I took in the hospital. I'm allergic to Morphine and was so nausous that I stayed away from tylenol with codine.

I first saw the theripist last Sat and it made a big difference. She was very cool and nice and was very cautious. I am seeing her again this afternoon. I am feeling much better, but bottom of neck and upper back are still a bit tense, and I'm sure after seeing her will be much better.

Things are getting better so much quicker. This morning my brother and I took the longest walk that I have taken so far outside and it was good! AND I'm not holding on to anyone any more.  ;D
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 10:57:16 am »
Things are getting better so much quicker. This morning my brother and I took the longest walk that I have taken so far outside and it was good! AND I'm not holding on to anyone any more.  ;D

Excellent news, Cathy  ;D

Keep up the good work, but don't overdo it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways