Author Topic: AN Surgery, Hearing loss and tennis  (Read 2829 times)

dpericoni

AN Surgery, Hearing loss and tennis
« on: November 19, 2005, 12:00:19 pm »
Does anyone play Tennis? I was wondering how loss of balance nerve and hearing loss affect your game. How long before you were back to swinging a racket?

Thanks,
Darlene

lindaz0307

Re: AN Surgery, Hearing loss and tennis
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 08:51:09 pm »
Darlene,
I play a bit.  First time back out this summer, swung around to catch the ball and lost my balance.  Everything went spinning and I ended up on the court.  Problem was, with everything spinning I couldn't tell which way to put my hands down to break my fall.  Landed on my knee, then my shoulder then my face.  It was lovely! and so were the bruises.  I was with a group of people at a company outing, most of them did not know about my AN problem.  I guess they just thought I was a clutz  ;D  BUT, I got back up and finished the game.  I will not stop doing things (within reason) that I like to do.  Go for it!! 

Linda
2.1 cm translab
Nov. 2004
House

dpericoni

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 11:46:12 pm »
Thanks Linda,

I appreciate hearing from you. I coach tennis and have been worrying about the hand eye coordination. I am six weeks out, so I still have time to get better. Walking is still tricky.

Darlene
5mm by 8mm
Middle Fossa
House

sdinapoli

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 11:57:42 am »
Darlene, You will be back in the "swing" of things in no time. The more you push yourself then the quicker you'll see improvments. I took my son to a birthday party a few weekends ago and he wanted me to show him how to skate better so I ripped around the rink many times no problem so in due time you'll be a pro again too. One thing I would like to mention about the hearing loss. I just had mey left ear checked and it's actually above normal so I'm happy about that. I am overprotective at times when it comes to my good ear so when people whistle real loud, scream or touch it I wanna go off on them like that kid Warren did in "There's Something About Mary"! Anyway, you get used to that too. I did a soundcheck the other night with my 7 year old son to see who can hear the best while adjusting the tv at extremely low levels and we matched up almost evenly even though he had that ear advantage. One More Thing! I remember trying to use the treadmill with my hands in my pocket sometime after surgery and that really helped with balance but might be a bit dangerous for some!   :D  Hope You Feel Better!  Steve D.

Rc Moser

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 10:45:47 pm »
I use to play and  alot of tennis, was raked in Nebraska at one time in the USTA and have several dink trophies.  You can probably play doubles OK, and in time regain you balance, but It's the jaring (or shaking of the head or brain) of running for a ball that gives the same effect on me. But, I rarely play anymore, so the more you play the better it will probably get. 2  years 4 months out.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Rc Moser

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 07:14:38 am »
As far as Hand eye Cordination that didn't change for me (sure the first couple of months was ruff). It didn't affect my Billiards game, dart game, Golf game, trap shooting, or Table tennis, probably wouldn't affect my tennis game if I played on a regular basis. At work I assemble alot of little hardware and it don't affect my hand cordiantion at all. Eye site was effected after operation, but I've regained all Nerve functions except lift of the left side. With one ear I can't tell which way noise is coming from. So be extra careful crossing a bussiness street or walking through parking lots IMO you can't tell which direction there coming from.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

debora

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 07:47:53 am »
I was able to golf 11 months after radiosurgery, my game improved, probably because I really had to concentrate on balance. I also bowled two games 14 months after,  I was scared that I would fall and embarrass myself, but then again it would have been a good laugh.  My friends are awesome!

dpericoni

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 09:04:05 pm »
Thanks everyone!

I am now 9 weeks post op and I rode my bike for the first time last Sunday (27 miles). Still can't turn my head too fast, so tennis will be a while yet.

I still have ringing. Don't know if that will go away.

Darlene
5mm by 8mm
Middle Fossa
House