Author Topic: Metalic taste? - 3 months post CK  (Read 3030 times)

caryl

Metalic taste? - 3 months post CK
« on: September 04, 2008, 02:01:17 pm »
I had CK to my AN almost 3 months ago.  A couple weeks ago I started noticing a slight metallic taste in my mouth all the time.  Has anyone had this as a side effect?

About the same time I started having increased swirly head symptoms when I try to walk in a straight line, which has become harder to do without wobbling a bit.  Although I did have some minor head spinning a couple months before treatment and a month after, of course it got worse a couple weeks after my treatment check-back appointment with my Dr!

I did just have some dental work done a few weeks ago, but that shouldn't be causing the taste, so I'm wondering about the CK.

Caryl
9x6 mm AN, left side, diagnosed Jan. 2008, severe hearing loss.
CK in Seattle, June 2008, Dr. Sandra Vermeulen

sgerrard

Re: Metalic taste? - 3 months post CK
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 10:39:24 pm »
Hi Caryl,

Sounds like you might be having a little swelling. It is fairly common after radiation treatment, and not something to worry about, just something to get through. The wobbly feeling is certainly common for many AN patients. I have never experienced the taste effect, but others here have reported that as well. It doesn't hurt to let your doctor know what symptoms you are experiencing, but they will probably fade away in time.

Take care,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 06:52:26 am »
Caryl,
  The metalic taste can happen when the facial nerve is tramatized by AN treatment.  I had this for 2 or 3 months after AN surgery.  And it eventually went away.  If you do a search for Metalic on this forum, you'll find a few past threads on it.
  The balance thing that you mentioned also sounds like some post treatment AN swelling and pressing on nearby nerves.  I know in some cases, CK patients have received steroid treatment for a while to lessen swelling symptoms.  Steroids are powerful meds that come with side affects, so talk this over with your doctor carefully.  As Steve mentioned, keep your doctor informed about any symptoms that show up.  From reading CK patient experiences, the 3 to 6 month time frame post treatement can be prime time for odd symptoms.  But they usually resolve themselves.  Hopefully yours will resolve soon.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 02:49:08 pm by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 07:16:26 am »
Caryl
I've had that metallic taste before. I was one of my first symptoms. I havent had it after treatment. I would call Sandra and she may put you on a short course of steroids. I can tell you first hand that steroids is no fun.....especially since alls I wanted to do was eat. LOL Let us know how you are feeling.

Thanks
Mindy
P.S. Sandra has great hair doesnt she.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 07:47:26 am »
Hi Caryl,

I saw you also noted this to the CK Patient Support board. Great question.  I did  not experience "metal" taste although my taste buds were a bit off....now they are just fine and the added pounds I've put on from overeating confirms it.  Hang in there and hoping it passes sooner than later!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:50:43 am »
Hi, Caryl  :)

Like Rob, I had a metallic taste in my mouth for several months post op, so I'm not surprised you have it post CK.

My taste got back to normal eventually; hope yours does too.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mk

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 09:44:49 am »
The metallic taste is due to the trigeminal nerve. This is the nerve responsible for sensation in the face/cornea/tongue.  It might have taken a slight hit from the radiation, or it may be affected due to some swelling. If this is the case you may also experience some numbness in the face.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

caryl

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 08:20:25 pm »
Thanks to everybody for the reassuring comments.  The taste is mild and definitely bearable for now.  I prefer to avoid the steroids if I can, but if the swirling head gets worse or if I feel any hint of numbness in my face, I will definitely call for meds.

I think the Decadron almost derailed my first treatment.  Although I do have very slight clostrophobia, I thought I would be ok with the mask.  But when I felt it around my mouth, I started to panic and they had to take it off.  I REALLY didn't want to reschedule, so I called up my old qigong mind/muscle relaxation excercises and did them for the whole 40 minutes.  The next 2 days I took Atavan!  It hadn't occurred to me that the double hit of Decacron might put me "on edge."

Be well,

Caryl

9x6 mm AN, left side, diagnosed Jan. 2008, severe hearing loss.
CK in Seattle, June 2008, Dr. Sandra Vermeulen