Author Topic: Back to work update--end of week 3  (Read 1559 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Back to work update--end of week 3
« on: October 04, 2008, 10:48:19 am »
Ok, end of week 3 and now I understand what "executive function" means.  Finally this week I have been able to work with the same intensity as I did before surgery. This is a major step for me.  My brain is either just fine now, or it has compensated.  Either way, it is good news.  I have continued to run nearly every day and am now adding on some mileage. Similar to last Friday however, by the end of the week my facial symptoms crescendoed so that I did need to take drugs and go to bed. Those issues are on their own time-line and are resisting my need to control them.  ;)

So, for all of you at the beginning of this journey, this means that at almost 3 months post-op, I am pretty much back to normal.  This is a good thing to remember. There is a light at the end of the tunnel! 

Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

Re: Back to work update--end of week 3
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 01:21:54 pm »
Hi Marci,
Good to hear things are geting back to normal for you.  I'm only a couple of weeks behind you post-operatively and feel that while things have definitely improved, there is a lot more room for improvement.  In many ways I feell like my old self but my balance issues make me impatient --  they are not terrible, just not really improving fast enough for me and make walking far more tiring than it used to be.  It amazes me that you are actually back to running.  Good for you!    I know patience is key but sometimes a diffifult thing to actually practice. 

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 01:38:47 pm »
Marci:

Congratulations on your continued return to normalcy and thanks for offering your progress report as an indicator to 'newbies' that there really is a 'light at the end of the tunnel'.  :)  May your successful recovery continue apace.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 09:02:39 pm »
Hi Wendy,
Remember that although I have facial issues, I have no balance issues since my vestibular nerve was not cut.  I know that makes it much more difficult for you.  But I still think you'll get there.  You're too feisty not to!
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 09:28:29 pm »
Marci,

Congrats! I think returning to work is a big step in getting back to "normal".

I am 6 weeks post-op and if all goes as planned I will be working 1/2 time from home for the next 1 1/2 weeks. I thought this would be a good way to start to get back into the routine, give myself time to work up to driving on the highway / interstate that I need to do to get to the office, and time to rest and/or nap if I get too tired. When I start to go back to the office full time, I will start on a Thurs so then I have the weekend after 2 days in case i'm pooped.

Do you seem to regress in your recovery when you overdo it or are really tired? That's when i notice a difference.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

MAlegant

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 10:13:02 pm »
Yes I definitely suffer when I'm tired.  So right now it's "work like mad during the week and pass out all weekend".  Not much of a social life yet but that's ok with me.
M

MAlegant

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 08:28:21 am »
Cathy
I forgot to mention that I started half-time for two weeks at about 6 weeks post-op.  The first week full-time I went in later in the morning because the mornings are more difficult for me.  Second week full-time I went into the office a little earlier and by last week I was close to my old schedule, though still not there.  It is the longest process I could have ever imagined.  A friend of mine who underwent a similar surgery about 10 years ago said that it took him about a year to really feel completely recovered. 
Best,
Marci