Author Topic: Loss of second balance nerve  (Read 2079 times)

marie

Loss of second balance nerve
« on: January 07, 2006, 04:27:43 pm »
Because my AN on the right ear is still growing  (left one became deaf in about 1965, had AN surgery in "67),  I'm probably looking at my fourth AN surgery.  I worry about mainly two things:  having headaches after this one, andthe effects of losing the balance nerve.  Does anyone know anything about how one functions without either balance nerve?

surgeries : back of head 1967,1987
               translab 1991
               bone reduction 2002
               7/12  1968
               temporalis transplant  1969

FlyersFan68

Re: Loss of second balance nerve
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 09:54:06 pm »
Even though a very important part of the balance system, the ears are not the only part.  One receives impulses from the eyes and muscle reflexes.

russ

Re: Loss of second balance nerve
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 10:35:30 pm »
 Hi Marie
  I have NF-2 and 100% bilateral vestibular deficit. I still drive but have quite a time with motion 24/7. I often walk with a cane. Going 100% bilateral does seem to affect vision when turning the head and one's 'horizon' sometimes bounces when walking. I always feel to be floating. The following link is from a Menieres Disease site but is helpful in understanding the oscillopsia which accompanies vestibular loss: http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bilat/bilat.html All in all, I feel even a bit of vestibular function from even just one side is better than none.
  You also may wish to Google Dr. Kenneth Erickson's "Cognitive Aspects of Vestibular Disorders". That's a long read but very informative.
  Best wishes to you, Marie!
  Russ