Author Topic: Issues with Speach Changing  (Read 1633 times)

robinstwo

Issues with Speach Changing
« on: September 29, 2008, 03:30:05 pm »
I would like to know if anyone who has gone thru surgery had their speach change.  I have issues with certain letters and now speak with an English/German accent.  You would never know I'm from the South!  I am now 8 weeks post op and I hope I will get to sound like my old self again.  Therapist doesn't know why my speach changed since I can make the correct sounds. 
2.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/15/08
Translab Surgery 8/7/08, Emory Univ Hosp, Atlanta, GA, Dr Olson & Dr Maddox
Face and tounge not working right now.  Speech issues too.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Issues with Speach Changing
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 04:34:57 pm »
If your tongue/teeth/mouth are having problems that's your explanation. I'm about 10 weeks post-op and am having the same problem (though not with a German accent!). I can make all the appropriate sounds as well, but once I've been talking for a while my speech deteriorates.   As you recover I'm sure it will get better.  Mine has improved (only slightly) so hopefully yours will as well.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 04:57:32 pm »
Hi,

I had the same problem. My teeth and tongue weren't working right and my entire right side was too slow. In addition, my voice was very weak. I went to the speech therapist and was diagnosed with flaccid dysarthria. I am now 15 months post-op and happy to report that I don't have any speech issues. For a while there I could not pronounce multisyllabic words as well as talk loudly or for a long time but that is OK now.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

robinstwo

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 05:08:18 pm »
Thanks.  I was not expecting my speech to change but, we deal with it. :)  My mother & friends think it's cute.  Of course I don't.  It is encourging to know that it will change.

Robin
2.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/15/08
Translab Surgery 8/7/08, Emory Univ Hosp, Atlanta, GA, Dr Olson & Dr Maddox
Face and tounge not working right now.  Speech issues too.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 06:08:46 pm »
Post op my voice changed so that I sounded like Mickey Mouse - no kidding  :P

I was cracking everybody up, but I personally found it very annoying.

My neurotologist said if it didn't change back to normal, he was going to stick a scope down my throat at my first post op office (9 days after surgery).  Thankfully, the problem went away on its own.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »
Jan~
Gosh, I wish Lori was posting right now - I would love to hear her response to that one!!   ;D  I guess you would've been Minnie!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!