Author Topic: BAHA Now covered by Medicare  (Read 3242 times)

Raydean

BAHA Now covered by Medicare
« on: December 13, 2005, 02:32:36 pm »
I haven't read the news release yet, but I received the information thru ANA National Office that Medicare is now covering BAHA.  Enclosed is a portion of e-mail.

This is great news for all of us, since the private insurance groups tends to follow Medicare.

best to all
Raydean

Cochlear Americas is excited to announce that the Baha system is now covered by Medicare!   

I have attached the full press release about this news, and we are notifying all major media outlets right away.   

As you know, this news in monumental and we wanted to share it with you immediately!  Please feel free to contact me with questions.

Thank you for your continued support of the Baha system!

Here's the press release.  Source of information  www.cochlear.com 
Raydean

Medicare coverage for Baha hearing system
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Schwartz Communications
(781) 684-0770
cochlear@schwartz-pr.com

COCHLEAR AMERICAS ANNOUNCES MEDICARE COVERAGE FOR BAHA HEARING SYSTEM

DENVER—December 12, 2005—Cochlear Americas has announced that the Baha® system, an osseointegrated auditory implant system, is now covered by Medicare under a new policy issued by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). 

FDA-cleared since 1996 and consisting of a mastoid implant and detachable sound processor, the Baha system was previously classified as a hearing aid by Medicare and, therefore, not covered.  However, last month, CMS revised its definition of “hearing aidsâ€? and initiated coverage for the system, which became effective November 10th. 

Today is the first day that Medicare carriers are able to accept and pay claims under this policy. 

The Baha system provides a safe and effective hearing treatment option for individuals suffering from conductive or mixed hearing loss, as well as Single Sided Deafness (SSD).  It is the only treatment for hearing loss that works through direct bone conduction, allowing sound to bypass the outer and middle ear to reach the cochlea directly.   

“The Baha system, based on direct bone conduction, provides FDA-cleared treatment for a variety of specific types of hearing loss that many times do not have another option,â€? according to John K. Niparko, M.D., Director of the Divisions of Neurotology and Audiology at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.  “The Baha system allows sound to be received directly by the cochlea through direct bone conduction, so this treatment fundamentally changes the way individuals hear with specific types of hearing loss.  The decision by CMS to cover it will change lives.â€?

“The decision by CMS to revise its definition of ‘hearing aids,’ and exclude implantable devices such as the Baha system, is monumental,â€? said Chris Smith, President, Cochlear Americas.  “This policy revision breathes new hope into the lives of so many living with a hearing loss that the Baha can treat.â€?   

About the Baha® System
The Baha sound processor is placed on the deaf ear side behind the ear, and transfers sound through direct bone conduction.  Cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for unilateral and bilateral fittings for conductive or mixed hearing loss, and for Single Sided Deafness, this product ultimately results in the sensation of hearing sound from the deaf side. Currently there are more than 25,000 people using the Baha system worldwide.

About Cochlearâ„¢ Americas
Since launching the world’s first cochlear implant system more than 20 years ago and adding the Baha system to its product offerings in 2005, Cochlear Limited and its US headquarters, Cochlear Americas, have brought the miracle of sound to more than 90,000 hearing-impaired individuals across the globe.  Cochlear’s state-of-the-art technologies, based on extensive research and development at preeminent academic institutions, enhance the ability to hear sound and understand speech – improving both learning potential and quality of life for those with severe to profound hearing loss.  Cochlear’s promise “Hear Now. And Always.â€? reflects its dedication to durability and service.  For more information about Cochlear's products, including the Baha system and the Nucleus cochlear implant system, call 800.523.5798 or visit www.cochlear.com.

More Cochlear websites
 -- Select One -- Cochlear Corporate Professional Center Document last modified: Monday, December 12, 2005Cochlear Global Home Compliance Program Privacy Policy Terms & Conditions Copyright © 2005 Cochlear Americas. All rights Reserved

Ã‚ 

« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 03:21:19 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

becknell

Re: BAHA Now covered by Medicare
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 03:45:30 pm »
Thank you for posting this, Raydean. It was very helpful as I my husband and I fully expect to be fighting this battle with Blue Cross/Blue Shield sooner or later. Hopefully it will give us some ammo to get them to look at the BAHA as something other than what they consider a "hearing aid." Jennifer

wanderer

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 04:07:09 pm »
United Healthcare also covers BAHA.    Mercy health plans does not.     So if you have a choice about the type of insurance check to make sure what the different companies say.    I chose mercy before I was diagnosed,   and now my cobra will be under United healthcare this year so that I can get the BAHA.

Nancy T

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 10:44:22 pm »
I finally talked to someone in the doctor's office (a few weeks ago) who told me that Medicare would cover the BAHA after the first of this year and that Blue Cross was expected to follow along (I don't know when). So maybe I will have a chance to get it. Glad to see confirmation that Medicare will cover it!

Nancy T.
Sudden sensorineural hearing loss, left side, 1999 (no acoustic neuroma)
Baha Intenso, 2008

MSB

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 01:52:01 pm »
That is awesome news for Medicare patients.  Has anyone heard anything new about this for other insurance company carriers?  I am in my 1st stage of appealing my insurance to try and have them cover my BAHA and if anyone has any tips on how to try and get it covered, I would greatly appreciate it.  Seems crazy, I had some hearing before my AN surgery and now am left with single sided deafness and the full cost of the sound processor for the BAHA.  Thanks for any information you can provide.

wanderer

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 12:07:27 am »
I have now switched to United healthcare for my insurance.

They will cover the surgery for the implant for $75 outpatient copay
up to $2500  for the processor.   

coverage is every 2 years.   

Mercy Health Plans have not said they will or will not cover it,  but they just refuse to make a decision.   That is why I needed to change carriers.