Author Topic: Put me on the calendar!  (Read 4028 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Put me on the calendar!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 07:57:20 am »
Hi Maggie-

Just saw your post and wanted to say congratulations on getting your date.  I well remember the strange mix of exileration and fear that comes with having a date. 

I'd definitely ask about the alcohol.  My docs said that it is a standard bit of verbiage on all pre-admitting papers, primarily because alcohol can slighly thin the blood; however, they both said a glass of wine wasn't going to be any problem, right up until a day or so before surgery.  No aspirin or ibuprofin or motrin of course becasue of the blood thinning properties.

I got my hair colored 4 days before surgery - no problem.  Turned out to be a VERY good decision since I was unable to have color after surgery for almost 3 months (Horrors).  Don't fret about that, though - if I hadn't had the post surgical infection, I would have been able to color about a month after surgery. 

Like most of the other women here (and probably the guys, too) I also got up very early on surgery day and washed and styled my hair.   :D

congratulations again, Maggie - I know it's been a long journey.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

calimama

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 02:52:32 pm »
I got my hair highlighted 4.5 months post surgery and i actually had some pain around the incision at one point during the treatment.  I think it was just the manipulation of the hair near the incision (not too close though as they shaved a pretty big patch so obviously nothing was done to that hair which was only an inch long). It actually bothered me for a week after too. So my vote would be to get it done before (have no sense that this would be a problem for surgery) cuz you might be waiting a while after.

I have not had much trouble with my incision since surgery (one period of pain to touch about a month after, that lasted for a week or two), but i find it is still sensitive if i lay on that side at night.

All the best,
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 07:49:39 pm »

Thanks, ladies.  I knew someone would have the answers I needed. :D    I asked my SIL, a nurse practitioner, about a glass of wine at Thanksgiving and she said I should be fine. I will cheerfully abstain after that.  My kids will be here for the surgery, so I guess we will have our Christmas dinner then, while I am still awake and chatty!  It is my son's turn to go to his in-laws in Chicago area for Christmas, so I will capitalize on having him here.  Now I am in panic mode about getting everything ready for my sub at school, not to mention getting all my Christmas shopping done.

Next question.  If all goes according to plan, and there are no complications, how long is the usual hospital stay?

Maggie
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 06:26:40 pm »
well congrats Maggie . i too am a teacher at Jr. College just towards Galveston here in Houston.

the no alcohol was so it doesn't interfere with anything else. Some meds don't play well with alcohol.

i had to have blood thinners and some considerable pain meds after my surgery so no alcohol could go with those too.

Its really a post op decision depending on what you have . For me it was about 3 weeks after b4 i was allowed to drink if i wanted to.
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here