Author Topic: Re: New to this too  (Read 2330 times)

kmancini

Re: New to this too
« on: November 08, 2008, 06:19:48 pm »
I am new to this site.  Had AN removed 4-8-08.  Went back to hospital 2 weeks later for csf leak had lumbar drain for 5 days.  Went back for surgery behind ear to stop leak on 5-30.  I was fine for about a month.  July 4th weekend I got a leak out of my ear.  Went back for more surgery behind my ear and to block off my ear drum with stomach fat.  I was ok for 2 months and got another leak.  Oct. 6 went for surgery up my nose to stop leak.  No sucess.  Went in for surgery behind ear again to go in further to repair leak with fat and cement.  Had
BAHA also inserted at the same time.  Is there anyone else who had trouble with spinal leaks.  Still waiting to see if this sucessful this time.

Karen

An surgery 4-8-08
lumbar drain 4-22-08
csf leak repair 5-30-08 7-11-08 10-6 -08and 10-24-08
BAHA on 10-24-08
university hosp in Cleveland
Dr Megarian and Dr Selman

Kaybo

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 07:32:07 pm »
Hi Karen and welcome!  Sounds like you have had your share of trouble with leaks!  Sorry!  I didn't have any leaks - about the only thing I didn't have so I can't really help you there.  Where are you located and where did you have surgery?  What procedure?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 07:59:05 pm »

Hi  Karen,

You have come to the right place for encouragement and answers.   My best advice is to arm yourself with as much knowledge as you possibly can.  Doctors mean well, and can be very helpful, but the more you know about your circumstances, the better you are able to make good decisions.  The medical world can  be a confusing place to find yourself in!

Maggie
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 11:14:53 am by sgerrard »
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 10:12:25 pm »
Karen -

boy, you've certainly had your share of interesting things going on post op.  I didn't have a CSF leak, but others here have.  I don't know if anyone's had more than one or two leaks though; I think that is somewhat unusual.

Did your doc give you any reason for the multiple leaks? 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kmancini

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 09:49:10 am »
My doctor has been trying save my hearing this whole time and I have very porous bone.  But this last time he just went in and sealed off whatever he could.  I went to University in Cleveland Ohio.  They have been great through this whole ordeal.  I have been on very srtict restrictions.  We are just praying this last one took.

Karen
An surgery 4-8-08
lumbar drain 4-22-08
BAHA on 10-24-08

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 11:20:59 am »
Hi Karen,

I moved your post to a new topic, because it is fun to move them around (also to help people find it).

Other members have been to Dr. Megarian in Cleveland, I think you are in good hands there. The CSF leak business doesn't sound like fun at all, I hope they have stopped it now. Who knew you could have porous bone in your ear?

Welcome to the forum.  :)

Steve

PS to Maggie: all I did was change the name Hayneshome to Karen in your post.
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 01:07:38 pm »
Wow, you have been through a wringer so to speak and I'm very sorry you have to go through this! 

I am very glad you introduced yourself and I hope you find comfort here and answers to questions you have. 

1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 03:36:14 pm »
Hi, Karen:

Another welcome here and of course, the hope that your CSF leakage has been permanently ended.  Despite the frequent leaks (and porous bone) I trust your surgery was otherwise successful. 

Please post again and let us know your full story.  We care and, as AN patients and family members of AN patients, we can empathize, be it good or bad, because 'we've been there'.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kmancini

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 04:10:59 pm »
I have stumped the doctors.  He had a conference call with other doctors across the country to get other ideas.  I hope this one worked.  I get very nervous because my mouth is always salty tasting.  Spinal fluid is salty.  But I am not dripping yet.

Karen
An surgery 4-8-08
lumbar drain 4-22-08
BAHA on 10-24-08

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 06:09:59 pm »
Holy Toledo Karen.........i sure hope surgeon and his team understand the word  lawyer   lol

I hope you get relief this time , but if not id suggest another surgical team all together somewhere else.

10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 06:30:34 pm »
The salty taste might just be something you have to live now since you have had so many surgeries.             I am NF2 and had AN surgery on one side and eventually a facial neuroma with more surgery on same side and then 2 weeks later the CSF leak.     The hospital has used a new type colloid to keep things in place and it didn't work well and 3 people got leaks.         They went back to their more expensive product.                   I did fine after my leak surgery.        They though did alot more fat and into the eustachian tube more and removed the ear drum and have muscle over it.    I have had no more problem.                I have the salty taste on the right all the time now and is maddening.             This was done 2 yrs ago.                      I can not see how your dr did yours and it did not work so many times.                   I don't understand how he could even do it and even try to save hearing.           Have you seen another surgeon?           
                                            Cheryl R   
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 07:09:46 pm »
Karen,
You've certainly had your share of AN related problems -- I hope the last operation does the trick.  Let us know how things are going.

Wishing you good healing,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!