Author Topic: Head Pressure  (Read 1856 times)

sher

Head Pressure
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:50:38 pm »
Hi ANers....
I have head pressure not only on my AN side but all over my head and can hear heartbeat all over head. Is this what others have experienced with CK swelling? I also have a herniated disc in my upper neck and sometimes this would happen with that, but seems to be more extreme at this time. Did not go on steroids as was doing ok, but now I am having neck and head pressure... Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Sherry
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

mk

Re: Head Pressure
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 11:02:43 am »
Sherry,

Have you tried some ibuprophen? I did take ibuprophen after GK, whenever I felt that even something "slightly" out of the ordinary was going on, and it always helped. It is an antiinflammatory, so I figured it doesn't hurt, even as a precautionary measure (provided that your stomach can tolerate it).

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

fbarbera

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 11:29:16 am »
I experienced a lot of head pressure and similar sensations (you can read details in my website below).  Ibuprofen is a good start (my doc said I could take up to 800 mg, 3x per day -- which means 4 tablets after each meal).  It does help, but the symptoms probably will hang around for at least a few weeks or perhaps months.  My experience during the course of the first year was very up and down, with symptoms coming and going.  Things really settled down in month 13. 

The temptation to take steroids is significant.  I took two rounds of decadron in months 4 and 6 after treatment, when I just wanted some relief from the symptoms, whcih for me were pretty intense.  They are very unpleasant and hard on the body.  Of course, having taking them myself, I do understand the desire for relief.  I read all the horrible things about steroids and took them anyway.  But having done so, I can say that they truly are harsh drugs that are best avoided if possible.  If you decide to take them, ask your doctor to prescribe the lowest dose possible.

Best,
Francesco

Kristymoe

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 10:49:17 am »
Hi Sherry,

My mom had an AN tumor removed almost 9 years ago.  Ever since then, she has had terrible pressure in her head.  Her head feels like a balloon that is about ready to pop.  She has been suffering terribly.  She has done everything that she can think of to find out the problem, but all the doctors can say is that they can't find anything and there is nothing they can do for her. 

It sounds like you are suffering from something similar.  If you find ANYTHING that helps, please let me know so I can pass it along to my mother.  She really has tried everything, from acupuncture, to Topomax, to high and low CF testing.  But, if there is something that you find, please share.

Thanks and I hope your head pressure gets better!

~Kristy

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 10:57:03 am »
Hi i get this pressure in my head too, i find it comes on if i try and do too much, i think it is with all the work they have done inside my head as i had a large AN.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Jan D

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 11:14:04 am »
Kristy - does she have constant pressure or just occasional?

I have occasional pressure that comes when I am extremely tired or stressed or hungry.  The only cure that I have found is rest and a balanced meal.

Jan D
AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.

sher

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »
I pretty much have decided that it is a combo of alot of things. I had CK about a month ago, so I know that part of the pressure is from that, but I also have a herniated disc in my neck and sinus issues... so put it all together and that spells pressure unfortunately.
I wish I had an answer for your mother. God bless her!!!
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 05:19:01 pm »
Kristymoe,

You might do a post a topic on this in the "headache section" which is located under Post-treatment Issues and see if you get any responses. A lot of headachey people hang out there! Click on the "new topic" button and describe her condition and see who responds.  You may get some help that way.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW