Author Topic: hello! another new person here with a million ?'s  (Read 3663 times)

RosemaryL

Re: hello! another new person here with a million ?'s
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 01:32:40 pm »
Hey Paul:  As a long timer, I can tell you the pressure, roaring, and tinitus will ebb and flow - and for me it has meant nothing relative to being in our out of the woods - just something to live with.  It's amazing, the more I focus on it, the worse it seems.  And when I ignore it, it lessens (or so it seems).

Keri:  I also had some hand weakness at first - my surgery was Dec 1 and writing Christmas cards was a real exercise that year both for the writer and for the reader.  Ironically I found that typing was much easier than writing.  You probably play a lot better than I do, but I now play a lot better than I did before the surgery - of course, it is due to the practicing (and maybe the teacher), not due to the surgery.

Rosemary
1.5 cm right side AN removed by retrosigmoid approach, 12/1/98
Laligam Sekhar and Sanjay Prasad, George Washington Univ Hosp
deaf on right side, facial feeling and function fully recovered

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 02:08:20 pm »
Rosemary,

Try shifting your eyes to the left and right. Do you notice an intensifying of the tinnitus?

It's whining and whooshing in my head right now.

You're right though. It's easy to suppress most of the time. I don't let it bother me for the most part.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:17:44 pm by Crazycat »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 03:03:14 pm »
Paul:

As someone who heartily agrees with Mark Twain's philosophy regarding strenuous exercise - "Everytime I feel the urge to exercise, I sit down until it goes away" - I still very much admire those who run fairly long distances as a hobby and are usually the more fit because of it.  When folks like you, who are not only over 50 but AN 'survivors', do this on a regular basis, I'm even more impressed, even if I don't desire to emulate you folks.  Fortunately, God has blessed me with good health (well, except for the AN that reminded me how privileged I am) and while I'm sure running would benefit me to some degree, I don't feel the need to take it up at my age.  To echo Mark Twain once again: "I am pushing sixty.  That is enough exercise for me".  Well, I'm 'pushing' 66, so I think I can safely borrow Mr. Clemens' philosophy for the duration. 

I'm sorry to learn about your loss of dexterity that has so severely impacted your ability to draw, write and even play as you once did.  However, I admire your resolute and practical reaction to these losses and your determination to continue playing, even with the hearing and dexterity deficits you endure.  I hope your plane trip to Florida is smooth and uneventful and that your visit with your girlfriend goes well.  I 've enjoyed our conversations at the AN brunch (at Maxwell's) and I'm pleased to learn that you're doing quite well and offering your AN experience (the losses and the victories) to encourage others who may find themselves in a similar situation, post-op.  I know this is easy for me to say - but I wouldn't be overly concerned with your recent weird feelings of head pressure, lightheadedness and tinnitus intensity.  I suspect these were transitory.  Besides, your recent 'clear' MRI is validation of the tumor's absence.  Of course, anything can happen but if nothing is showing on your MRI, I have to assume there is no re-growth and your recent symptoms are probably not directly AN-related.  Of course, what do I know?  I'm just an uneducated former Disc Jockey.  Enjoy Florida and the reunion with your girlfriend - and thanks for posting.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 03:59:27 pm »
Thank you Jim. Always a pleasure to correspond with you!

I may pitch-in on any interesting developments from Florida!

Now to prepare for tonight's onslaught.......(and that's exactly what it is!)

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 06:52:12 pm »
Donnalynn,

We need you on the harp and Marci with the vocals.......sounds heavenly to me!
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

RosemaryL

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 09:24:18 am »
Crazycat:

I never noticed it before, but shifting my eyes does cause a change in the tone of the tinnitus, but no change in the intensity.  Guess I will mention this in my next doc visit.  Thanks for the heads up (so to speak).

Rosemary
1.5 cm right side AN removed by retrosigmoid approach, 12/1/98
Laligam Sekhar and Sanjay Prasad, George Washington Univ Hosp
deaf on right side, facial feeling and function fully recovered