Author Topic: Pre-Surgery Headaches  (Read 3982 times)

MikeS

Pre-Surgery Headaches
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:24:12 am »
Has anyone experienced headaches on the side of their AN pre-surgery?  Reason mine was discovered was due to an MRI to investigate recurring headaches on my left side.  Right in front and behind my ear.  I've talked to a few surgeons, all of whom say the AN probably isn't the reason for the headaches (probably just cluster headaches which "fortunately" led to my AN discovery).  Just seems odd that i have ear discomfort and a headache in front and behind my ear.  Has anyone else experienced?

Heading into surgery in 3 weeks (3/17)...hopefully the pre-surgery headaches aren't a forewarning of more fun to come.  Going retro-sig which won't help.
19mm AN, left side
diagnosed Jan '09

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Pre-Surgery Headaches
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:37:26 am »
Hi Mike,
I suffered from migraine-like headaches for years before my tumor was removed.  I haven't had one since recovering from surgery.  Maybe coincidence, maybe not. Either way, I'm happy about it.
Good luck,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:44:30 pm »
Hi, Mike!  I had headaches pre-op on my AN side, never checked into it, just thought it was a one-sided sinus headache, or something.  I, too, have heard/read doctors say that the AN should not be the cause of the headaches.  However, like Marci, I have not had any headaches on the AN side since surgery...odd, huh?  We'll cross our fingers that yours go away after surgery also! 

Best of luck with your surgery in March - we'll be watching for updates,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 01:58:32 pm »
Hi Mike,

I have suffered from migraines since I was 13 yrs old.  My headaches got worse before surgery and I'm one of the unlucky ones, the headaches NEVER left.  I've been fighting the one I have now for the last three days.  My poor family for the most part have been very understanding. 

Good luck,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MikeS

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 07:25:42 am »
Thanks everyone for confirming i'm not crazy (well, at least in one regard).  Ive consistently pressed the MD's on how the headaches can't be associated but they all just tell me it's unrelated.  Seemed a bit too coincidental.  Also seems to be my new internal barometer....any time the weather changes, my head feels like it's going to split and can feel it in my ear.  The benefits just continue to accrue....

Thanks and best regards to all of you
19mm AN, left side
diagnosed Jan '09

marjoryb

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 09:31:33 am »
My story started with headaches...I was getting headaches when I worked out ; they were mostly in the front across my forehead.  The doctors thought they were exertion headaches , but recommended I get an MRI.   That's when my acoustic neuroma was discovered.  I had surgery on 7/7/06 - regrettably,  I still have headaches - some minor that can be treated with over the counter medications; some much, much worse .   Even though I have headaches almost every day , I remain optimistic that they will eventually go away.

marjoryb