Author Topic: AMD Surgery  (Read 2778 times)

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
AMD Surgery
« on: November 27, 2008, 08:28:54 pm »
Hello, My wife is AMD she had her surgery on Nov 17. They got all of the tumor out, but it was a very long day. Dr Miamoto had to work slowly to get it untangled from the nerves.

However, she did have some post surgery complications. She had some fluid back up and once they repositioned her it caused some major swelling issues. She ended up having to have a breathing tube put in and also a feeding tube.

Now 10 days later the swelling has gone down almost completely, but her dominate arm is still very weak, and she is in a rehab facility. She is doing better each day, and making tiny steps. It will take her sometime and a lot of work but she will get back into shape.
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Jackie

Re: AMD Surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 12:09:34 am »
Hello Husband of AMD,

Thank-you so much for giving us an update on your wife's surgery. So sorry to hear of the complications, but it sounds like everything is now under control! You're a good hubby for being their for her and we all so appreciate hearing from our AN buddy's mates! Take good care of AMD and give her our best and may you both have a fast recovery. Get plenty of rest, and be patient with the results.
Thank-you again for reporting,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 03:34:42 pm »
Hey Chris,

This is Cindy, the one that sent Amy the Magic Scarf, so sorry she has had such a rough time - hope things are now heading in the right direction for her.  Please give her our best and tell her we're thinking of her and hoping her recovery will go smoothly from here.  Thanks so much for updating us...been wondering how things went. 

As Nancy told you on your other post about the scarf, tell her not to worry about it (no one had surgery this week anyway).  You guys can get it mailed off when she's up to it.  The "virtual" magic will be at work regardless :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 03:40:13 pm »
Thanks for the update on Amy - we like to "keep track" of our fellow forumites.

I'm sorry to hear she had some complications, but as others have said, it sounds like she's moving in the right direction now.

Please tell her that she is in our thoughts and prayers and that we look forward to "seeing" her here soon.

Take care of yourself also; AN surgery isn't just hard on the patient, it's hard on their loved ones as well.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 08:13:28 pm »
Today was a good day. She had some therapy, she drank some water, and she had some solid foods. And they removed the feeding tube. Some small things. That will make a big difference I think.

Thank you for all of your support and good thoughts.

Chris
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 07:12:37 am »
Hi Chris and AMD,

I too am very sorry for the post treatment issues.  Yes, life after this is ALL about the "little" things that make us grateful and also, living one day at a time, and learning to be patient with our recovery as it can be slow for some, quick for others. 

Nice to see you are posting for your wife, please give her our best, as I remember my husband showing me multiple emails of well wishes from friends and remember how it lifted my spirits. 

With each day that passes I pray you see continued progress and may you heal quickly. 

Chris, don't be suprised if she's "grumpy" as patience is hard to come by when healing from this.  Let it roll off your back as best you can.  I know being the "caretaker" is a difficult one.  What she looks like does not correspond with how she feels inside.  There's lots of turmoil happening inside her head that only she can feel and notice.  It's not a fun place to be and all one can think about is when will it end.  With the added arm weakness her issues are greater.  People want to say nice things like, "Well you look great." don't help, making you feel frustrated and misunderstood.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 08:29:18 am »
Hi Chris (thank you for posting) and Amy,
I'm glad it's over but so sorry that the road is still bumpy.  Every day, every little thing that improves makes a big difference.  Keep your eye on the prize.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.