Author Topic: Bell's recovery  (Read 2295 times)

bell

Bell's recovery
« on: December 01, 2008, 03:13:22 pm »
Hi all, the trash is out!   I feel like a train wreck!

Removed  all the AN 1.5cm x 1.1cm out retrosigmoid, ssd right, facial paralysis and eye closure issues.  8 hours operation with a slow recovery.  The Mayo, nurses, and Dr. Links and Dr. Driscoll all were fanatastic.  Out of hospital 6 days later and the weekend home was kinds crazy.  I am taking my drugs faithfully and doing nothing, sleeping alot.  My eye closure is an issue and the dryness is horrible.  My face and tongue are numb.  10 days later and I think htis will be a sloooow recovery of doing nothing.  No patience to do anything either, but that is ok, life iwll get better.  I hope everyone is good I have to go rest my eye and grab a snack.  Take care, Bell     

Cheryl R

Re: Bell's recovery
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 03:21:13 pm »
It does get better in time.      Right now you don't feel like it ever will!    We know that well!           Are you putting a heavier drop in the eye during the day than just a light weight tears?        A Refesh Liquigel is my favorite.  Celluvisc is a good heavier one also.         Can get expensive experimenting with what is best for you.           Then the lacrilube or Refresh pm at night or other brands of gel types.         
Good luck with your recovery!                        Cheryl R           
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 04:55:12 pm »
Bell:

Thanks for posting and Congratulations on entering 'postie-land'!  :D

I was pleased to learn that your surgery was successful and you're home from the hospital.  I'm sorry you have the dry eye and closure issues but I trust they'll clear up, in time.  Meanwhile, keep the eye lubricated and enjoy the rest. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 06:05:34 pm »
Hang in there Bell, you sound like you're doing fine, surgery notwithstanding.  I hope for you that all the side effects clear up (especially the eye) as soon as possible.  In the interim, patience and peace.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 01:55:56 pm »
Hi Bell-

Take it slow and easy - and keep the eye lubed up.  Cheryl made some great recommendations on thicker day-time drops.  I'd add to that by suggesting that you try the "single" use drops - you can reattach the cap thereby getting more than one use from the caplet; and they don't have any preservatives so won't irritate your eye.  I use the Refresh Celluvisc Sensitive during the day - it is thick but I find it works best for me.  Then, as Cheryl said, Refresh PM or LacriLube (PuraLube) at night.  Sorry you have to be learning all this eye care stuff - it's not much fun, is it?

Give yourself time and take lots of naps.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 04:40:38 pm »
Bell,
Welcome back!  Sorry to hear about your facial paralysis and eye problems though.  In spite of this you seem to be in good spirits which is half the battle in recovery.  Rest and let yourself be pampered if possible, you deserve it.  Things will improve with time.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 01:11:46 pm »
Bell,

Wendy is right in saying that having good spirits is half the battle. A positive attitude can do wonders in helping the body heal--lots of sleep helps too.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 09:12:03 pm »
Welcome back, Bell.

As others have said, things should improve in time.

Finding patience is sometimes hard, but as Syl and Wendy mentioned a positive attitude will definitely help.

Sleep is a great idea also.

Hang in there and keep us updated.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways