Author Topic: Anyone hearing heartbeat in head?  (Read 4468 times)

lifeisgood

Anyone hearing heartbeat in head?
« on: October 02, 2008, 10:11:27 pm »
I am 4 years post surgery.  This is so hard to describe but I will give it a try.
Ever since my surgery, I've had the occassional sensation of hearing my heartbeat or pulse in my head.
This usually happens when I am in bed laying on my side.  I actually thought my good ear was just placed over my pulse on top of my pillow.
I then got scared and thought maybe it was something more serious.  I've had add'l follow up MRI's and all is fine.

So, this doesn't sound like "wonky Head" which I've seen on the post. 
Can anyone relate?  I remember having it post recovery a week or so post surgery and it really freaked me out.

Pls email me if you can relate.  I did do a general search on the internet and others have also experienced it but medically, there is nothing wrong with them.

Mary L
AKA life is good
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

Tumbleweed

Re: Anyone hearing heartbeat in head?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 01:22:11 am »
Hi, Mary:

There is another recently posted topic on this subject here:
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7531.0

I hope that helps you.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

cin605

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 04:22:39 pm »
I often hear that at night while trying to fall asleep.Some times my tinnitus will even go to the beat so to speak.
Cindy
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Maverell

• Acoustic Neuroma and Me
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 11:22:40 pm »
What you hear can also be a sign of high blood pressure - check with a doctor.

Mav

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 11:46:32 pm »
i actually do hear my heartbeat before my AN surgery - i guess due to the size my AN?  but now I don't hear it anymore.
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

ernie h

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 03:50:54 pm »
i'm 16 months post surg and i know exactly what you mean.
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.

wcrimi

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 05:25:05 pm »
I had that (extremely loud) in the first few days after surgery. It went away and then came back (much lower) for a few days about a week or so after that, but only while my head was in certain positions.  It hasn't been a problem since. I guess it's not unusal because I've read several reports of people experiencing it, but I'm not sure why for some people it would disappear and others it would persist or come back after awhile. I would ask your doctor/surgeon/ent. 

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 07:19:00 pm »
Hi,
I know exactly what you are talking about. I also heard the heartbeat in my head for about one year ago and it was also at night when I was about to sleep. I only heard it when I put my AN side on the pillow. As soon as I turned around it disappeared and I never heard it when I was standing and walking. After about one or two months I suddenly noticed that I couldn't hear the sound anymore. I have no idea why it showed up and why it suddenly got away, I'm only grateful I haven't got it right now. My only thought is that my AN perhaps was very near a vessel in my ear or something like that at that time. Now I know the AN has grown and maybe it isn't pressing at the same place in the IAC. Who knows?  ???

Hope it soon disappear for you too.

Best wishes,

Helene in Sweden
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

JudyT

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 11:35:14 am »
I too have intermintent episodes.....find it very annoying. I can also hear "creaky" bones.....kind of scarry. It doesn't last though....comes and goes when it pleases. I don't think it has any real meaning....just another issue. When coupled with other ones then the "I wonder what????" Thus annoyance to fear sets in..... sometimes because it is hard to define some of these things if it's even possible to define at all. Four years ago when I first started using this site as a very useful tool in helping to define .....understand...etc. I would search for hours trying to find useful information and answers.....to issues....that quite simply couldn't be defined/answered. Is it ALL related to the AN?...........I don't know...probably won't either no matter how much I search. Some things I put on the shelf and walk away from...others I continue the search...........
Blessings all.............Judy

Rc Moser

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 12:25:17 pm »
Uaually have  a headache  when I hear mine, when I have Migraines sounds like some on it beating a bass drum. Could be related to blood pressure also.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Jan D

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 06:24:48 pm »
I hear the "heartbeat in the head" at times too, when I'm extremely tired or have been around loud noises for an extended period of time.  I asked the doctor about it a few years ago and he said "it was related to my acoustic neuroma" - no other explanation - he said not to worry.

He was a lot of help!

I call this my "wonky head", which has been described in various forms by others on the forum.  The only way I handle it is to get some rest and eat a good meal, with protein.  Not sure why this helps, but it does.  Fortunately, it doesn't result in a headache for me.

Jan D
AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 10:02:45 pm »
That's interesting, Jan. Sleep and eating lots of salmon (high in protein) also seem to help me with any kind of tinnitus. Foods that are rich in protein are also always high in B vitamins, which are essential to nervous-system health. And from what I've read, a long sleep increases blood flow to the brain. So maybe these are the reasons why sleep and protein help us so much.

On another note, I always thought that "wonkyheadedness" was a sense of disequilibrium.

Wonkyheadedness (from Webster's AN dictionary): adj. 1. To be wonky in the upper part of the body; 2. to be headed in a wonky direction (even though the rest of the body, besides the head, is headed in no direction and is stationary); 3. a sense of disequilibrium which leads one to post nonsense on AN forums.  :D

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08